BlueLine Thermalwave2 summer/fall project

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I’m taking it to the forklift later this week to move it. Rubber mats underneath are getting pulled up.

The waste tank was behind it but I think I’m gonna move it to the left side of the machine for better mounting space and ease of access to the rear and right side of the machine.

The van needs a power steering fluid reservoir, a tuneup, and a new rear door

As for the tm, the water pump needs tlc, and the 185f thermal relief valve needs replaced. 🤞. Once I get it completed, we’ll see what other issues it might have

17CE22B9-854E-4ABB-9ECE-28040E23E8EC.jpeg 2EFED58C-14C5-482E-A811-4DAA6ACBD6C8.jpeg 24D2C782-DA0F-424D-8B84-DA5A76476091.jpeg 7A5382E7-9E74-4E44-BEBC-232DC07DCCCC.jpeg 0B2116DF-0BE8-49D1-9293-D416B87B3896.jpeg

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
what's up with my dumb ass turning the key off too soon,thinking it's only gonna give me one code!!! :madder:

3 codes. 134, 91, and 183

FredC

Village Idiot
were you able to get a confirmed clear?

So you have two codes dealing with fuel pressure/temp and an AFR sensor code?

Did you ever check the pump wiring.......or any wiring/voltages?

out of curiosity do you have the old map sensor and ecu?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
yes, I still have the old sensor and ecu. It's the exact same as what was on it.

The only time I had the voltage checked was on code 91 when I was at my mechanic and he noticed the voltage wasn't low as the code was saying.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I checked the wiring of the fuel pump on both ends and it looks good. I never checked the wiring on the map/regualtor sensor on the end where it plugs in the ecu side of the machine. knowing my luck, it's probably melted wires from the bastards who neglected this piece of shit

FredC

Village Idiot
yes, I still have the old sensor and ecu. It's the exact same as what was on it.

The only time I had the voltage checked was on code 91 when I was at my mechanic and he noticed the voltage wasn't low as the code was saying.

Did you ever get a confirmed clear?

I'd check all the wiring/voltage. I'd also confirm that the pump is wired into the system correctly.

In the meantime, I'd swap the map and ecu out individually and see if there was any improvement. I'd start with the map. I suppose it's possible the ECUs are mapped differently

Is there any indication other than the codes that it isn't running properly at this point?

FredC

Village Idiot
posting this again...codes and diagnostic procedures for each

Attachments

• dokumen.tips_psi-16l-pfi-diagnostic-trouble-code-section-table-of-psi-16l-pfi-certified-engine...pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 205
Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Did you ever get a confirmed clear?

I'd check all the wiring/voltage. I'd also confirm that the pump is wired into the system correctly.

In the meantime, I'd swap the map and ecu out individually and see if there was any improvement. I'd start with the map. I suppose it's possible the ECUs are mapped differently

Is there any indication other than the codes that it isn't running properly at this point?
The only indication that is the problem is still the low fuel pressure causing the headers to overheat.. The wiring will be inspected closely the next few days as time allows.

I never got a confirmed clear. I need to find out how to do that before I get a solid diagnosis

Name
Nate W.
At this point Woody, I would seriously fly someone out who's an expert in the machine or drive it to someone who can.. You throwing parts at it is no better than another mechanic doing the same.. :dejection:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
At this point Woody, I would seriously fly someone out who's an expert in the machine or drive it to someone who can.. You throwing parts at it is no better than another mechanic doing the same.. :dejection:
I’m burned out on it. If I can’t find a way to properly reset the ECU codes, I’ll find an expert to work on it. I’m done throwing parts at it

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Matt. I don't think the headers glowing are an issue. Mine do it and so do the other 870’s I’ve seen.

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Matt. I don't think the headers glowing are an issue. Mine do it and so do the other 870’s I’ve seen.

View attachment 121006
I know your thoughts but if I’m pulling up codes after I know it’s cleared, then it is a problem. You also never checked for any possible codes on your machine. Just because you don’t want to doesn’t mean it’s not a problem

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I know your thoughts but if I’m pulling up codes after I know it’s cleared, then it is a problem. You also never checked for any possible codes on your machine. Just because you don’t want to doesn’t mean it’s not a problem
Matt, you are chasing your tail inventing problems that aren't there.

FredC

Village Idiot

View attachment 121006

Thats what I thought too but the way he described it makes it seem like there is an actual issue. Combined with the codes/lean plugs/fuel pressure/etc

I'm not convinced that there is a fuel pressure problem though because he is getting good if not excessive supply-side fuel pressure with the only thing in between that and the rail is the manifold which he has replaced. The only thing that would leak down from that point is the injectors and then you probably wouldn't have lean looking plugs.

and then there is still the codes.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Thats what I thought too but the way he described it makes it seem like there is an actual issue. Combined with the codes/lean plugs/fuel pressure/etc

I'm not convinced that there is a fuel pressure problem though because he is getting good if not excessive supply-side fuel pressure with the only thing in between that and the rail is the manifold which he has replaced. The only thing that would leak down from that point is the injectors and then you probably wouldn't have lean looking plugs.

and then there is still the codes.
Mass airflow sensor. Seriously, he's stressing out for weeks about this stuff when his machine is running fine. So what if shoots out a weird code now and then. Every machine and car does that. My 870 hates humid days. Something wrong with some environmental sensor causes it to surge on rainy days. Not a big deal, I just keep going. Once it gets warmed up its not a problem. If this happened to Matt he would replace the blower, rotate the tires, and drop the fuel tank.

As far as fuel pressure goes, Mine surges to 51PSI for about 4 seconds when you turn on the key, then backs down to about 34'ish. Quite normal. @Justin Legend Brands correct me if i'm wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: hogjowl

FredC

Village Idiot
Mass airflow sensor. Seriously, he's stressing out for weeks about this stuff when his machine is running fine. So what if shoots out a weird code now and then. Every machine and car does that. My 870 hates humid days. Something wrong with some environmental sensor causes it to surge on rainy days. Not a big deal, I just keep going. Once it gets warmed up its not a problem. If this happened to Matt he would replace the blower, rotate the tires, and drop the fuel tank.

As far as fuel pressure goes, Mine surges to 51PSI for about 4 seconds when you turn on the key, then backs down to about 34'ish. Quite normal. @Justin Legend Brands correct me if i'm wrong.

I've said a few times I think 35ish is probably correct on the rail.

I probably wouldn't just ignore the other codes but I would test them in a somewhat systematic manner. After making absolutely sure I started with cleared codes and then got new ones

edit: @Nomad74 where is that measured

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
edit: @Nomad74 where is that measured
Not sure. I just remember that piece of info when I was talking with the Sapphire techs when we were trying to figure out an issue with my unit. It turned out to be a bad RTD sensor. But I remember when trying to find out what it was, I had to bypass the fuel pump and get it to go full blast.

Reactions: FredC

FredC

Village Idiot
Matt you said 3 of the 4 plugs were lean. What did the fourth look like? Is that injector leaking

FredC

Village Idiot
Not sure. I just remember that piece of info when I was talking with the Sapphire techs when we were trying to figure out an issue with my unit. It turned out to be a bad RTD sensor. But I remember when trying to find out what it was, I had to bypass the fuel pump and get it to go full blast.

I didn't realize how much they glow...normally?...yours is bright af

There are of course degrees. People ask about glowing all the time on car/moto forums. See it often on the DR650 forum and it's considered normal but I've also left my choke on and got it REALLY glowing

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I didn't realize how much they glow...normally?...yours is bright af

There are of course degrees. People ask about glowing all the time on car/moto forums. See it often on the DR650 forum and it's considered normal but I've also left my choke on and got it REALLY glowing
I can't see it glow in the day time. Only when I do evening work. My Amwrecks would glow as well.... But who knows what's normal with that thing.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
We’re you posting in Robbie’s World when you bought that thing?
Yes, I'm much more of a bitter/jaded person now. Not one to fall for board hype anymore. It does suck watching the noobs with stars in their eyes get taken advantage of. I really hate seeing that. It's not my place to police the world and call out every Barnum. The Amtex was the board dejour at the time.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Matt, I have some time tomorrow to mess around. I'll pull a plug and post a pic. We'll see how it looks. I'll also ground the pink wire and get the TM to spits some codes out and see what we find.

Reactions: BIG WOOD and FredC

hogjowl

Idiot™
Yes, I'm much more of a bitter/jaded person now. Not one to fall for board hype anymore. It does suck watching the noobs with stars in their eyes get taken advantage of. I really hate seeing that. It's not my place to police the world and call out every Barnum. The Amtex was the board dejour at the time.
You talking about Mikey and I was asking you about Robbie.

FredC

Village Idiot
I'd be interested to see what the rail pressure is.

I'm leaning toward normal at this point. It isn't a complicated system* and he has replaced everything. I'd try and fix any codes after a clear reset but I doubt it will change anything. Might be programmed to run slightly lean and then of course you have exhaust restrictions.

There are obviously things that could contribute to increased heat like timing, leaky injector, clogged cat, air leaks, etc...

The greenish tint to the AFR sensor is a little concerning.

*ECU gets info from MAP and upstream O2 and controls fuel pump based on that. That and manifold cotrols FP. Ignition is crank fired.

Reactions: Nomad74

Dwain Ray

On Vacation
Name
Dwain Ray
I’m burned out on it. If I can’t find a way to properly reset the ECU codes, I’ll find an expert to work on it. I’m done throwing parts at it
I've never been in a position where I had to hard reset a computer on a carpet cleaner but on a car in the old days you disconnected both terminals of the battery and held the cables together to drain all power from computer however these days that can cause damage to the computer so what we do now is disconnect the battery terminals and connect a 1 ohm 10 watt resistor between the positive and negative wires and leave it there for 10 minutes this will safely drain all power from computer and hard reset it, works on cars can't imagine it wont work on your carpet cleaner its a buck and a half to try

FredC

Village Idiot
Never hurts to use a resistor to drain caps

But not doing so is not likely to cause any issues here

You shouldn’t do it all on the newest cars because not only are you clearing the computer of its maps and it will run like crap for a bit but you also have additional systems that could cause you problems when they forget like the transmission, security system/immobilizer , etc

You should use a scanner to reset

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm not putting any more sensors or chasing any wires until I figure out how to properly reset this ecu. The places I checked for fuel pressure on the fuel rail was right after the fuel pump before the map/regulator and it read 70psi. Then I checked after the map/regulator and it read 40when I turned on the key and immediately dropped to 32-35 while the engine runs

Damon, your fuel reading of jumping to 52 shows normal. My reading jumping to only 40 for less than a second is still lower than the required 41-47.

I'll report back once I know for certain it's reset. Then I'll be able to diagnose an accurate reading

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom