be careful on those cash jobs..

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thanks buddy. You gave me a sliver of hope.
I consulted my wife with a new bounce in my step.
She said: Definitely frumpy.

Maybe Mike will let me moderate the Frumpy & Proud room.
Am I aiming too high?

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
March 23-27 in Chicago, Richard. I believe that is past the official end of a Kansas winter. Or April 20-24 in Dallas.

What would be really cool would be you and Dan attending together.

Steve

PS Papa Nick has cultivated some even better Chicago caterers since your last SFS there in Roselle.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Its hard to get Dan to go anywhere but on a vacation. :oldrolleyes:

I'll mention the Dallas SFS to him, he has a daughter and son down in Austin. Maybe he could tie something into it.

But usually he just say's I need to go.
:arrrr:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
As much as I disapprove of the way the government spends my tax dollars, I keep a detailed record of every sale.2 reasdons- 1 - They can KMA if I get an audit, and 2 - I might want to flog my business one day and it gives a realistic view of sales.

Reactions: rwcarpet

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We actually employ some great people and we do thoroughly trust them they have keys and come and go freely with no supervision. Yes, we may leave ourselves exposed at times trusting so much. However if hire the good people, kick those questionable to the curb you limit a lot of the problem people.

Oh boy, the stories I could tell about employing "good people"...

I have a hard fast rule that I have stuck with since even before I started at Hagopian: you steal from me even once, you are GONE!!!! Over the years, among many I have fired, there have been a guy with 17 year seniority, a guy with 18 year seniority, a guy with 20 year seniority and even a guy with more then 40 years seniority. Can you imagine going home to mama and telling her you got fired from your job after 18 years because you stole $25.00? ( that actually happened!!)

If someone is stealing from you and get's caught, that means is that is the first time he got caught, not necessarily the first time he stole. I don't give 2nd chances at all since to me it's like saying, it's okay to steal until you get caught, then you can't steal any more. Also, when I get the confirmation that they are guilty of stealing, they are gone that moment, not the next day because there is a big job, not next week because it's a holiday, etc. They are gone NOW.

It's always tough to fire an employee, but of all the reasons to fire someone, theft is is the easiest. I also have them sign acknowledging the theft in lieu of us calling the police. That way they can't collect unemployment.

It's tough sometimes, but if they are willing to gamble and steal from you, they may also be stealing from your customer. That's not a reputation you want to have for your company.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It's always tough to fire an employee, but of all the reasons to fire someone, theft is is the easiest. I also have them sign acknowledging the theft in lieu of us calling the police. That way they can't collect unemployment.
It's tough sometimes, but if they are willing to gamble and steal from you, they may also be stealing from your customer. That's not a reputation you want to have for your company.
It is tough and I always feel bad about it. But it comes down to I feel bad about it and have a business or I can feel bad because I kept these people and they caused me to lose my business. Fook'em! I'll get over it in a few days. :winky:

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Cash would be nice - cause the deal is closed as the cash enters your pocket. No worries if the check clears - which it's been along time since we got a rubber check. Credit cards allow spending limits to be more flexible.

They say you're not allowed to charge more to process a card - but you could reduce the discounted amount to cover your cost. Never accept a card with someone else's name on it incase the card owner decides to decline charges. Which has happened to us. Ex wife to be charged $380 for cleaning using hubby's card. He calls credit card company to dispute charges claiming he didn't authorize any purchases.

Funny thing is - we had already decided to cancel acceptance of credit cards and closed our processing account before he reported unauthorized use. His credit card company demanded we give a valid account which they can draw a refund from due to his dispute. Even though we had a signed work order with the wife's name, they say she was not authorized.

They even tried to trick us by sending a letter that they had $380 they needed to deposit into our account - they just needed a valid account number.

Haha ... Eff-U !!!

Yes I agree ... all cash should be deposited to increase the value of your company for credit purposes and to show value if you decide to sell !! Besides .. you never know who's looking !! You don't really save too much by the time you spend time hiding shit along with poor record keeping.

Also if the employee is aware of your scheme .. he may wanna follow suit !! Maybe during the training process you shudd tell the employee straight out they will be randomly tested for skimming the company. Have your friend show up and offer cash deal. This way if they know they're being tested, they are less likely to chance it.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i would send my employee out to a sister in laws house....
or a friend....sometimes an old custy that would offer them CASH for an extra room.....
sometimes i sent them on a two room job that was a three roomer...cash......
it was lik going fishin'!

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
We have a processing fee for credit cards. What do you mean your not allowed to charge for that?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
It is tough and I always feel bad about it. But it comes down to I feel bad about it and have a business or I can feel bad because I kept these people and they caused me to lose my business. Fook'em! I'll get over it in a few days. :winky:

[/QUOTE]
Nothing to feel bad about- they played you for a fool, they needed to go. Business decisions should be for the betterment of your business, not based on personal feelings.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
P-L-A-Y-E-D me for a fool. :eekk: Damn that's harsh!

How about they played Dan for a fool and I was just semi involved. :biggrin:

Good thing we're friends, I'd hate to hear what you'd say if we weren't. ;)

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
All of us (me included) let emotions cloud our better judgement. The following is straight out of my teaching notes from my Friday morning session at SFS:

Random “just stopping by” checks- Never make your people feel like they are working under suspicion. Everyone deserves respect and dignity. However, this concern for your employee’s feelings must be balanced with the simple fact that without accountability unsupervised employees tend to create their own “little kingdoms”. At best this means they stop following your consistent company procedures. At worst, your employees will fall into performing side work for cash money in their pocket! Fight this tendency by just “stopping by” with routine surprise visits. (In the previous “Clearly Defined Expectations” section we examined how to set up routine Mystery Shoppers to check on employee consistency.)

You (and your company managers) should always have a copy of each employee’s Day Sheet. Then “just stop by” without notice ahead time. When you walk in on the job check that company procedures are being followed. Is the door mat and/or booties being used? Is the employee’s uniform clean and his or her photo I.D. badge visible? Are company cleaning procedures being followed in the home? And most importantly, are the areas being cleaned noted on the work order with the prices filled in? (Stress at hiring that any and all areas the customer asks to be added to the job ticket be written on the work order before the employee starts cleaning the additional work. If not, it will be assumed they are doing ‘side work” and yes, they will be held accountable!)

We all work better if we are accountable and these random, “Just Stopping By” checks should become a routine part of your business. However, the very best accountability does not come from any company procedure. This means at the end of the day your success with employees will depend on …

Now I know many people here are going to live in denial and are saying, "I trust my people." I sincerely hope you never have to say, "I should have listened! Steve was right".

Mr. Negative

PS Or maybe if you think I am wrong that just means you haven't caught 'em yet! :)

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
First of all, I have no problem accepting cash or giving a cash discount, although I would never come out and say I was trying to skirt the IRS. Doesn't matter what the truth is, it's what they can prove.

Reactions: Able 1 and steve_64

Willy P

Name
Willy P
P-L-A-Y-E-D me for a fool. :eekk: Damn that's harsh!

How about they played Dan for a fool and I was just semi involved. :biggrin:

Good thing we're friends, I'd hate to hear what you'd say if we weren't. ;)

Sorry, they play any company where that happens for fools. I didn't mean to hurt your obviously delicate feelings:icon_rolleyes: (the hell i didn't)Theft from the company is the same thing as theft anywhere else - completely unacceptable. I'm just giving it to you damn straight.:arrrr:

glenboy

Name
GLEN
I always tell the customer I can't afford to keep the cash the wife make sure it goes in the bank to pay the company bill .end of story

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Just have to be careful what you post online.

I never offer cash deals. I've had customers ask though. I just list it as "paid cash" when I close the invoice in my software.
I rarely deposit cash in my busn account. Why lose a couple bucks in bank charges, I just either keep it or deposit in my personal account.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
One time i had a job on my birthday, so the homeowner ran to the bank and took out cash for me.
Still my favorite customer :biggrin:

Just 1 time, thats it, never, ever, ever again. Ever :shifty:

Name
Marcus
Don't have employees anymore, but every owner should call back customer to check on the job to make sure everything went well and verify the payment wouldn't have multiple thefts.
Trust but verify....Ronald Reagen.....

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Don't have employees anymore, but every owner should call back customer to check on the job to make sure everything went well and verify the payment wouldn't have multiple thefts.
Trust but verify....Ronald Reagen.....
I totally preach "random. 'just stopping by' checks" in person. But many times the customer is "complicit" in the cash payoff to the tech for extra work. So it is unlikely they are going to confess anything.

Steve

PS Don't ask me how I learned this one.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom