be careful on those cash jobs..

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
It's happened twice where a customer called in complaining about the job that was done and admitted that they paid the guy on the side for the work.

I find that as amusing as the drug buyers who call 911 when they feel that their dealer ripped them off....

In both cases, neither seem to understand that they participated in a crime.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
It's happened twice where a customer called in complaining about the job that was done and admitted that they paid the guy on the side for the work.
Darn it, Brian, now you have me waxing nostalgic. Once we had a longtime, elderly customer call in and complained:

Her: "The Scotchgard finish your tech applied isn't working and my carpet is getting spotted up."

Me: "Thank you for letting us know about this. Let me pull your work order... Oh, Mrs. Jones, the reason the Scotchgard 'isn't working' is because you didn't have the finish reapplied last time since it isn't on your paid invoice."

Her: "Oh no. I had already written the check and the young man said just give him 50.00 cash and he would protect my carpets. He went around with a sprayer and sprayed down a 'clear liquid'."

Seriously. True story. (BTW, I don't this individual was "complicit" in the fraud. But many customers will be.)

Steve

PS Wanna know "the rest of the story"? We fired the tech, he applied for Unemployment Compensation and won the appeal hearing! (We didn't want to drag our elderly client through the stress of testifying against him.)

Reactions: dgardner

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I never win. I quit fighting after my last two losses several years back.

Lead tech was stealing customers, writing down data and calling scheduled jobs offering a better deal. We canned him and not only did he steal clients but then I paid him unemployment while he build his business to compete with mine.
I was more pissed at the girl from unemployment than the guy we fired. :angry:

The other guy quit, gave his 10-days notice but I told him I didn't need him to stick around for 10-days poisoning the well. He went to unemployment and told them I fired him and sure enough he collected unemployment. I complain that he had quit and she asked if I told him I didn't need him for the 10-days and I had

I just pay it now, not worth fighting over, they win either way and I'm less frustrated this way.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I never win. I quit fighting after my last two losses several years back.

Lead tech was stealing customers, writing down data and calling scheduled jobs offering a better deal. We canned him and not only did he steal clients but then I paid him unemployment while he build his business to compete with mine.
I was more pissed at the girl from unemployment than the guy we fired. :angry:

The other guy quit, gave his 10-days notice but I told him I didn't need him to stick around for 10-days poisoning the well. He went to unemployment and told them I fired him and sure enough he collected unemployment. I complain that he had quit and she asked if I told him I didn't need him for the 10-days and I had

I just pay it now, not worth fighting over, they win either way and I'm less frustrated this way.

Yeah, the only thing i ever found to work consistently is tell the case worker they are welcome back.
The only problem is when they do...

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I have NEVER lost a theft related termination in unemployment.

During the termination interview I have the thief write a confession letter in lieu of us calling the police and having them arrested. When they apply for unemployment, I simply forward a copy of the confession.

I don't play games when it comes to stealing from the company. To me, doing work on the side is no different then taking money right out of the register.

Thankfully it has been several years since I have had this kind of an issue.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
I have NEVER lost a theft related termination in unemployment.

During the termination interview I have the thief write a confession letter in lieu of us calling the police and having them arrested. When they apply for unemployment, I simply forward a copy of the confession.

I don't play games when it comes to stealing from the company. To me, doing work on the side is no different then taking money right out of the register.

Thankfully it has been several years since I have had this kind of an issue.

Great idea. Also saves them from being destroyed for the rest of their life. But if they did it to you, guessing it would happen with their next employer.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Someone your needing to fire
Ofer them a lesser job maybe par time and let them prove themselves or leave.
Sorry. I disagree, Marcus.

If you truly "need to fire 'em" then just get them out of your company (and your life) NOW! Fight paying the unemployment if you wish. But with a truly bad employee paying the unemployment will be a much better investment than letting them stick around.

One of our wiser sages in this thread mentioned "poisoning the well". And so it is...

Steve

PS Plus even if the employee is not truly evil (just incompetent) the longer you put off hiring their replacement (while waiting for them to quit) the longer you are putting off hiring a potentially great employee. Papa Nick calls this "plugging up your employee Totem Pole".

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
We get cash sometimes, but no discount. Lot of checks here. You never know who they work for or who they know. I'm from Sweden on the job. No opinion on anything. Especially on cash. Big brother is everywhere

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I resent the "be careful" in the title of this thread, regarding "cash jobs."

Most definitely Un-American, as it hinders the process of natural selection of business survival.

Name
Marcus
A few owners around here never let employees handle any type of money...checks or $$$
They call the customer personally and do all the collecting themselves......
They book the jobs and tell customers ahead of time the policy.
It may take some time but would solve 90% of problems....
Putting cash in employees hands is a nogo in my book...
Or this book "lead me not into temptation"

Brian H

Name
Brian H
A few owners around here never let employees handle any type of money...checks or $$$
They call the customer personally and do all the collecting themselves......
They book the jobs and tell customers ahead of time the policy.
It may take some time but would solve 90% of problems....
Putting cash in employees hands is a nogo in my book...
Or this book "lead me not into temptation"

How much does that cost in time spent collecting? And what does it really save? It doesn't stop side work since the customer can still work a cash deal with the crew for other things not on the work order.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
How much does that cost in time spent collecting? And what does it really save? It doesn't stop side work since the customer can still work a cash deal with the crew for other things not on the work order.
Brian.....you know i "stiffed" Hagopian the last two times yous sent them out....? :stir:

thank you!:clap:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom