At least show the correct way to beat a rug.

Ron K

A Rug should be beaten from the Front, if it can handle it.
It's Physics! If you beat a hanging rug from the back you are driving the rug into the dirt.
If you beat the front you are moving the rug away from the dirt and it falls.
But all you rug snobs knew that anyway.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Make me wish I didn't sell my antique rugbeater collection.

I think I had 10 of them.

I used to have my guys use then once in a while at the shop.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Ron K said:
A Rug should be beaten from the Front, if it can handle it.
It's Physics! If you beat a hanging rug from the back you are driving the rug into the dirt.
If you beat the front you are moving the rug away from the dirt and it falls.
But all you rug snobs knew that anyway.

I didn't have a lot of options on images for that one. =)

We do have a collection of antique rug beaters all over our lobby... they make a great dual use as "employee whackers"... which of course, we only whack family. That's how we show love. LOL.

I actually would beat a rug both sides, first the back, and then the front to shake it out.

That is if I HAD to use a rug beater. I'm perfectly happy with my Sanitaires though....

Lisa

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
LisaWagnerCRS said:
I'm perfectly happy with my Sanitaires though....

Lisa

So- what kind of Sanitaires do you guys use?

Does your shop use a rugbadger type duster as well?

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Zalan Szabo (zee) said:
LisaWagnerCRS said:
I'm perfectly happy with my Sanitaires though....

Lisa

So- what kind of Sanitaires do you guys use?

Does your shop use a rugbadger type duster as well?

Just regular commercial ones - not the wide ones though. We replace the brushes with metal plates that slide in, because we don't need the brush action, it simply vibrates the soil from the back and comes out on the opposite side. Helps to have some plastic tiles under the rug to give more room for soil to fall out (I prefer that to the metal grates, just a personal preference... you can google "plastic interlocking tiles" and can find lots of choices for that).

No, we don't have a Badger beater. Just wasn't the right fit for us. Again just personal preference.

Lisa

Ron K

Lisa So why do you recommend the Badger? I know you say you clean all rugs so often they don't get that impacted but, Over two Grand vs under 200. You say you don't use it, or like it because of the noise among other things. Thats like saying "I recommend Howard Partridge but I use Joe Polish, he's just a better fit for me." ?????????????

IMO Any tool has a place but for, versatility, ease of use, safety, and economy,plus you use one, Id say go with the Sanitare.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Ron K said:
Lisa So why do you recommend the Badger? I know you say you clean all rugs so often they don't get that impacted but, Over two Grand vs under 200. You say you don't use it, or like it because of the noise among other things. Thats like saying "I recommend Howard Partridge but I use Joe Polish, he's just a better fit for me." ?????????????

IMO Any tool has a place but for, versatility, ease of use, safety, and economy,plus you use one, Id say go with the Sanitare.

Since day one of anyone ever asking me for my opinion on how to clean rugs, I've said that I have been to many, MANY different plants, all sizes, all over the US, and Canada - and I have never EVER seen two identical.

Just because I don't personally use something does not mean it's not a good choice - or a better choice - for someone else. I know lots of Piranha Members who LOVE their Badger. And they tend to be one-man (or woman) shows, and the Badger saves them time in being able to cover more space quickly.

I have friends with Phil's whole system who love compressed air.

I've also seen with my own eyes between the vacuum, the Badger, and compressed air - every method be able to PULL MORE soil out following up a competitive method. That is because each one approaches it differently, the vacuum shakes it, Badger beats it, and compressed air blows it.

People need to dust to remove soil before cleaning. How they do it is based on their budget, space, and personal likes/dislikes - but they all have success in their own way. And... NONE of them will pull out caked in soil from on-site multiple surface cleanings, like I noted in that article in Cleanfax. That gooey gunk is only coming out from washing and physically scrubbing. So the claims by anyone about removing 90+% of the soil in rugs is bunk in these situations.

I also mention chemicals I do not have in my own plant as possible options - Masterblend, Chemspec, Bridgepoint. I'm using Sapphire, and a collection of solutions not from the carpet cleaning world... but, larger plant operations, who can buy in drums, simply have more options in that area. And again... that's not going to stop me from mentioning that they have affordable, good options to choose from.

I like to toss all the good options out there, and let the professional cleaner pick. I will always share my own experiences and what I use personally... but again, just because I love it does not mean it's the only thing to choose. I'm full of myself... but not that much. LOL.

Lisa

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Doc Holliday said:
I hate the metal grates, you need leather gloves to move them.

I also hate the metal grates. That's why we've never used one. I used one in a Jon-Don Rug Secrets workshop with a Badger and it scarred the face of a Chinese rug. Thankfully it was part of my own collection of the rug disasters and ugliest rugs ever =) - but I never used it again after that. I prefer the plastic tiles.

Lisa

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
We don't have the Sanitaire down under.

I did once own a Rugbadger and the metal grids.

I didn't need leather gloves, (they breed us dumb and tuff down under Richard). shiteatinggrin

I now use a Clarke pile lifter and a Dysoon !gotcha! to loosen and vac; out prior to washing.

Different strokes for different folks, and I'm always looking to improve my methods and products, old and cranky as I may be. :lol:

Shorty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom