anything revolutionary?

kelsoindy

I'm a commercial cleaner looking to expand our offering to include carpet care. I don't want to be another H2O extraction cleaner. We have played with encapsulation with good success on commercial carpet however, we're not happy with the results on residential carpet. Is there a revolutionary "dry" system that works? We want something that separates us from the pack.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Yeah, you can go to OP cleaning. I will work in most residential situations and will definately separate you from the pack. It is more time consuming than hot water extraction, so you will have to be higher priced, and there ARE situations in which it just will not work as well as HWE. If you can get the higher prices in your market necessary to make it a profitable venture, and you can learn what not to attempt with the method, then you can make it work.

But just remember this ... when you separate yourself from the hot water extraction crowd, you inevitably allign yourself with the Chem-Dry pack.

And that's a huge negative to overcome.

Name
I'm Rick James
kelsoindy said:
I'm a commercial cleaner looking to expand our offering to include carpet care. I don't want to be another H2O extraction cleaner. We have played with encapsulation with good success on commercial carpet however, we're not happy with the results on residential carpet. Is there a revolutionary "dry" system that works? We want something that separates us from the pack.

HWE is the way to go. 90% of the carpet is dry to the touch when I finish the stop.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Yes, you bring up a good point. Now, with the improvements brought on by glides and 2.5 inch plumbing, 2 hour drying times with HWE is not at all uncommon. Why limit yourself with "dry" cleaning when you can have all the benefits of hot water extraction and the dry times of low moisture cleaning?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Encapsulation = the SHAMPOO method.

The only and right way is to HWE to "Remove" contaminates from a residential setting.

Leave the OP/low moisture and SHAMPOO methods to commercial where you can get away with it.

TimP

As stated above, in residential cleaning HWE is king. There is a big difference in pile height of carpet in residential compared to CGD carpet. However still if you're HWEing properly encap doesn't compare. Where encap shines is when the carpet is lightly soiled and it's not feasable to do HWE, and that's mostly for price concerns.

Also if you want to set yourself apart from the pack. Get you a good TM with a 45 or larger blower, preferably not restricted with the plumbing. Then get you a good wand (greenhorn or modified prochem TI wand with a holed glide) and few airpath fans and force dry the carpet. It's possible to get the carpet near dry, or dry before you leave.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
kelsoindy said:

You see unlike your preconcieved notion, most mills now require HWE and the revolution is that properly performed, HWE will keeps carpets healthier and make them last longer. The science is all in the details as stated above from QUALITY glides to proper hose plumbing to the wand. Theses seemingly small details lets the trained professional up the jet size on the wands to flush more water through the fibers to flush more soil and get dry times that often are better than Low moisture cleaning. Do you want low moisture, high residue and soil left behind or, low residue, max soil removal and cleaner carpets?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
kelsoindy said:
Is there a revolutionary "dry" system that works?

there's nothing new under the sun.
only thing "revolutionary", are some of the claims made in their marketing

..L.T.A.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Go with your Op to a properly trashed out residential carpet full of dog and cat urine...I'm sorry but dry methods just don't cut it!
In line with the other comments- you can easily get the carpet dry in a couple of hours with the right HWE set up.

Zee

Mikey P

Administrator
Best thing you can do as a VLMer is slow down and flip/change your pads a lot.

The claims of 5,000 feet per hour are ridiculous.

John G

Love listening to the HWE guys tell others just what their method of choice will or will not do.

Some are foolish enough to even listen or believe them, many are a lot smarter than that.

Go with your Op to a properly trashed out residential carpet full of dog and cat urine...I'm sorry but dry methods just don't cut it!
In line with the other comments- you can easily get the carpet dry in a couple of hours with the right HWE set up.

Zee

Zee

Statements like that surely bring a chuckle.

I did the same thing a while back...Commercial Cleaning Company that decided to offer Carpet Cleaning. Buy yourself a good OP machine, a Rotovac, and a good porty extractor...you will be able to handle almost any situation and provide as good or most times a much better product than a single tool TM splash and dash guy.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Like many carpet cleaners that have been around for awhile, I have both HWE and VLM systems. I very rarely use VLM, but you should have both systems.

STOP GLOBAL COOLING!

Name
Bill Soukoreff
John La Rue said:
Like most carpet cleaners that have been around for awhile, I have both HWE and VLM systems. I very rarely use VLM, but you should have both systems.

STOP GLOBAL COOLING!

Good point. I offer both as well and the residential customer has never chosen VLM once they understand the differences.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
OK...let me understand this principal........here
any contaminants encountered along the way(snot...boogers OR any other bodily fluid)would contaminate all carpet cleaned with that pad...

Is that correct?
That's what yous padders do.........?

w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWuiGWkd7mMw]

TimP

I can do both VLM and HWE. And have SEEN and EXPERIENCED the difference. And there is no way in hell I"d let a pad guy or vlm whatever you want to call it do the carpe in my house EVER!!!

TimP

John I'm not going to argue with you.

With that said 2 years is plenty of time to figure crap out. And it will be 3 soon. Also putting someone down like that is a cheap shot and completely uncalled for. And will not in the least change my thinking or anyone elses thinking on here either. And in my opinion unless you do both you don't have a leg to stand on to say how great your VLM is.

BTW how many years have you HWE with a good TM??? I can call upon your experience as well.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
OK John...lets say that little jimmy blows a snot ball on the carpet..........

along comes YOU and pick-up that SNOT BALL and SMEAR it till you change yor pad again....RIGHT????

And how you TOUCH them things is WAY beyond me.......i even heard of some of yous DA's washing them in yor OWN washers........

OR...........

some crack addict wit HIV blows a load on the carpet....YOU

SPREAD IT ALL OVER!!!!!

TimP

No....but would you lick new carpet to see if it was clean?

But I do use a cleaner that is a disinfectant and deodorizer that is also a disinfectant when urine and/or feces are involved and rinse with water near 200 degrees and not only that I suck it all up into my waste tank to flush and Remove soil from my customers homes.

How many pad guys are doing that? And if they pull out a porty they aren't padding the urine and feces.

John G

But I do use a cleaner that is a disinfectant and deodorizer that is also a disinfectant when urine and/or feces are involved and rinse with water near 200 degrees and not only that I suck it all up into my waste tank to flush and Remove soil from my customers homes.

OMGosh you are a newbie.....

But I do use a cleaner that is a disinfectant and deodorizer that is also a disinfectant when urine and/or feces are involved

Like padders don't?????????????????????

rinse with water near 200 degrees
And just what do you think that does?

I suck it all up into my waste tank to flush and Remove soil from my customers homes

Duh, that is what we get paid for! Just not everyone uses a WASTE TANK...LOL

normal_pee02.JPG

normal_pee05.JPG

Whoop t do, doesn't everyone just REMOVE IT?

TimP

I wouldn't let you in my house to clean. And that's all I'm going to say.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
Tim, are you assuming you don't leave any nasties and VLM'ers leave nothing but?

Sounds like HWE always get it cleaner and VLM'er can't possibly at all. Yet, we all judge "clean" the same, with our eyeballs. That makes it an opinion. I doubt your eyeballs are calibrated any better than anybody else's. And, the real magic here is nobody ever has to back up their any of their claims of clean. Nevermind that it's a floor covering and people and pets walk all over it and otherwise abuse it, undoing much what we've done, in a health sense, in a matter of days. After a quick potty break in the back yard, a stroll through the house and a few hours lounging in his favorite spots, Fluffy has contaminated the carpet again. Did you read that article some months ago saying there are more germs on the bottoms of your shoes than there are on your toilet seat?

And, when you want to kill things in the carpet there aren't too many experts who will suggest a good quick spray of hot water. Textiles dissipate heat too quickly for HWE alone to be effective, especially after pretty much atomizing the stream. Besides, common sense suggests if a quick wanding over a urine spot can't remove the urine odor it didn't remove the urine...........or, any other unhealthy biologicals. In fact, there's a good argument the added heat and moisture is just what a little bacteria needs to increase their population.

If you have biological concerns about a carpet, I wouldn't suggest using a cleaner with a disinfectant and deodorizer in it, I'd use a product specifically for that. And, I still wouldn't declare it germ-free.

For what it's worth, one of the most common complaints about HWE is wicking. VLM is one of the most common cures. Clean carpets DON'T wick. It's no irony the popularity of VLM in large part is due to the shortcomings of HWE.

Both have valuable applications, neither are the end-all or be-all. It might take more that two or three years to figure all that out. ;-)

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
Getting back to your question, Kevin, I seriously doubt you'll find you need anything anymore revolutionary than good habits to set yourself apart from the pack.

Deliver on your promises. Obviously, I'm partial to VLM. It's what I learned, it's all I've ever done. Had I started out differently I'd probably be partial to HWE. If we leave somebody thrilled it's not so much the process, because I think most will perform equally well, it's because we probably exceeded their expectations.

VLM is well suited for commercial work. Less noise, no open doors, no special parking requirements, fewer problems with wicking, fast dry times, no big hoses for people to trip over, yada, yada, yada, all things you can play up to your advantage. In the end, though, if you show up on time, remember who the guest is, do what they asked you to do the first time, rush back and fix whatever isn't right, get their carpet back into service in a reasonable time, don't do things that make you a bigger inconvenience than the dirty carpets, all the stuff you'd expect from a cleaner, then what method you use is often six of one, a half-dozen of the other.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom