Anybody ever changed the name of their company?

danpauselius

We now do more restoration work than anything else but our company name doesn't really tell people that we do it. I want to change the company name but we are finally at a point where I'm worried about losing clients. Has anybody changed names once they were an established company? How did it turn out?

Dolly

You can do that as long as you do a long range campaign to let people know about you name change.

you should still keep the old name, but continually introduce them to the new one

Or

have just another division of you company that has a different name for the restorative side of the house.

There should hardly be a bleep on the radar screen or bump in the road.

You can do that with regular mailings that you usually do.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Funny enough, I wanted to tell my customers in my early days that I would clean anything, so I called my company "Really shitty carpet cleaning". Needless to say, I got no calls, so I changed it to what it is now.LOL

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Keep both names for a while. Mail customer base informing them of changes a few times. How about "Dan Pauselius Restoration"? I always thought a persons name was good for a restoration company. Viewed as personal and keeps the owner in line.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Business names are not a big deal. I have a few of them.

Simply set up a new DBA (Doing Business As) with your county or state government. Then let your bank know that you will be depositing checks using the new DBA. It couldn't be simpler.

Why not keep your old name and then build up your "niche specific" clientele using the new name?

BTW Do yourself a favor and read the book "The 22 Immutable Laws on Branding" by Al Ries and Jack Trout BEFORE you even begin to start thinking about a new business name. Some of the BEST marketing and branding ideas you'll ever read.

Becker

Name
Becker
I did it in 1999. Kept the same number. Then 2 year later moved across the state a kept the name, but sold the business and number

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Hey Dan,
I'm in a similar situation to you but not quite as bad as my business name reads

Carpet Pro
Cleaning & Restoration

The Carpet Pro is large and bold and takes up the same length as the small line underneath.

We basically do 75% insurance work and I'm always of two minds what to do. If I do a total change, then I stand to loose a few customers. and loose hard earned branding.

If I do a new brand for the restoration side only as a new division, then I stand to loose by diluting the original brand that I had and I don't really want to do that. (number of vehicles seen driving around etc)

I don't want to loose the original name but would like the flexibility of having the restoration sperate if I can.

That way, if I ever wanted to, I can run them as two identities and even sell off one if the need arose. I like the idea of having a second trading name so that I can put a manager in that side and have it independantly run and I can focus on the stuff I like to do and how much I want to do.

Can you just add a second line under your existing brand similar to what I've done so you don't loose that branding you've already achieved?

If you rebrand, do it slowly over a period of time to allow the public to be aware of it. Otherwise you may loose unnecessary business.

John

AdamB

I started a new division of our company. It has been a little tricky keeping up with it. Our carpet cleaning company is Carpet Masters. The WDR company is Dry Max. It gets confusing showing up in diff. company trucks and shirts and having to explain it all. 2 different business cards, etc. I suppose it would be best to dual brand the two companies but I have not gotten to that point yet.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
We have had a few and we also have many dba's but almost all have or had Hagopian in them, with the exception of our Design Center showroom that goes under a completely different name.

danpauselius

Chavez, you sound like my competitors, LOL.

It's Never CleanER.

I was thinking about having the new name and then "A Never Cleaner Company" beneath it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Sorry Dan! :oops:

Your competitors are funny!

I have a friend that who's company was Powerclean, as they began to specialize in drying they changed the name to Powerdry.

Fairly smooth transition, thus the Never Drier!

Never Clean..... :lol: Sorry!

danpauselius

Depending on the sex of our new baby (we find out in a few weeks), the new company name will be Benemma (Ben and Emma) Cleaning and Restoration Services. I like it because it sounds like a last name but will make my kids feel like they were part of the family business from the very beginning.

If it's another boy I'll have to go back to the drawing board as my wife and I cannot agree on a boy's name yet.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Dan, ya know I love ya. After all, ya gotta love a guy who starts up a thread, "Toburen Was Right" on ICS.

But, if you think your competitors are having fun with Never Clean just wait till they make the "enema" association out of "Benemma"! Sorry to rain on your parade, buddy.

Can't you just stay with Never Cleaner and add a tag line re: water damage restoration or de-flooding? Most people don't know what "restoration services" are anyway and you have to explain it.

My two cents and congrats on your success AND your growing family! (After our five days together in SFS I never doubted you would do great in business. I had no idea you would be so "productive" in the family area!))

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS If you want a copy of my new Special Report called "How to Re-Name and Re-brand Your Carpet Cleaning Business" just write me at stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com and I will ... do nothing. No such Report exists or is likely to. I have a long list of other Special Report candidates ahead of this one! Just messin' with you, Dan.

danpauselius

Steve, the problem isn't with the general public but rather with the insurance adjusters. Several have told me that our name suggests that we are a cleaning company who does a few restoration jobs every now and then. That's why I want to change the name.

p.s. Thanks for the "enema" heads up. Didn't even see that one coming, LOL.

JeffC

Name
Jeff
Dan,
I have a friend in Sandusky OH that did something similar to your situation. He went from SteamPro to RestorePro for the very same reason. I know if you're a corporation you can very easily do a DBA off your corporation and it doesn't change anything legally. I recently did this and just filled out the fictitious name form with the State and added this to my bank account to deposit checks using both names.

Jeff
P.S. Watch out for Chavez. He's becoming a bit mischievous. I'd bet money his association with Tony has something to do with it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Jeff...you have a friend? :shock:

Besides me! (How was that for a save?)
:wink:

I stay away from Tony he is a bad man....a very bad man!

At least that's what he tells me! :lol:

NeverDrier.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom