Administrator
Brush roll wont spin
Totally unservicable....
20180610_073401.jpg

More crap for mother earth to digest.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We just tossed our home vacuum, same problem. Sad they don't last longer! However considering they were designed for homeowner use, they do pretty good.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Looks well used considering ya taped it together. How long have you had it?

steve_64

I was thinking it looks well used since he’s always loving on his Oreck.
Biggest problem I've had with orecks is the plastic housing cracks where the bearings fit causing it to make the most awful noise.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Phil’s truck, his helper Jose.

I thought him to clean the bush roll 5 month later brush roll was wobbling and broke!

Turns out in his effort to get the hair he was digging plastic off the edges breaking the vacuum head!

He broke two, now we don’t let him touch things. IDIOT.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
cheapazz POS brush roll motor has always been their greatest downfall

..L.T.A.

I’ve never seen a brush roll motor go bad!

I’ve pulled the head apart cleaned out the hair that somehow works it’s way in there.

I was getting over a year on the NV80 models.

I replace them yearly because Homedepot had a sale.

$126 Black Friday week.

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
I’m shocked you upscale cleaners would stoop that low using a shark. Mind blowing.
Had my Royal for 7 yrs? And still running strong. Only thing changed on that thing is belt and bags.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I’m shocked you upscale cleaners would stoop that low using a shark.

I'm not an "upscale" anything Raf.
but will share my philosophy

vacs on a van (that get used) start to stink 'fore too long .
They take an hour or more of complete disassembly, soaking all plastic parts and hoses, replacing any paper type filters (or cloth type bag holders) to get the "stankout"

All that PITA time and cost adds up to over the price of a "throw-away" vac

Vacs also get beat to hell and start to look more than a little ragged after a year of crew abuse
Kinda ugly to take into a well kept home

I don't care what name's on the vac or where it comes from, it just has to work well and take a reasonable amount of abuse .

For the price of one Royal, I can have 5 brand new "throw-away" vacs on the shelf .
When one on the van develops "the stink", it gets dedicated to rathole use only , and a new one is on board for res homes without pets

when they break, or cook the plastic POS roll brush bushing/bearing, they get pitched and new one is unboxed

easy-peasy, and even a BD can afford to keep a nice new vac (that doesn't stink) on the truck right next to the rathole/dog house vac

having owned most all the common vacs, from cheapest , to "supposedly com" to several generations of Kirby..
The "throw-away" vacs have always made the most $ense to me

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I bumped mine on the lawn tractor handle....nasty bruise...PLUS a damned old age spot...that sucks!

steve_64

Haha my shark brush roll wouldn't come on at this nasty last minute job. I had to beat on it and kept trying but eventually it worked. I think its a short in the connection when you push the handle down.
Don't throw it away yet mike. Beat on it real good for about ten minutes lol.

The light comes on but no power to the brush roll. A couple times it started and died and I could hear the motor lose power so I kept at it and eventually it worked right.

I might have to take it apart sometime and figure it out for a permanent fix.

Last edited:

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
:headscratch: :lol:
1st make sure the problem isn't the operator. The switch is a 3 position switch. Make sure it in the correct position for vacuuming Carpet which will engage the brush. The other posiion is for suction only and keeps the Brush off. The 3rd posiion
Is off.
It might be serviceable if DIY project. It NOT worth fixing if you hire a repair shop.

The same thing happened to mine- so I fixed it.
I took it apart. Cleaned the lint wrappd around the brush INCLUDING the lint near the brush bearings. Greased the bearings. Also got to the control broad that controls the brush-- basically just unplugged and repluged the wires. Went to start the vacuum and the brush still didn't roll; so I bought another one. Next day my tech used the "broken" vacuum and, oddly, it worked.
Maybe I forgot it was a 3 position switch, or maybe the lint wrapped around the brush was causing strain on the motor and it would shut done.

randy

Name
Randy
I have had commercial panasonics, powrflites, proteams, sharks, Royal ,oreck XL and backpacks.
Royals are great if you love replacing belts as a hobby and own stock in the rubber plants. Panasonics and powerflites are ok, nothing great. Sharks have a lot of suck but crap out young. Proteams cost you big on parts but I love my 4 gal proteam wetdry vac that I use as a canaster vacuum. For serious vacuuming I use orecks. I buy them for $35-75 used on Craigslist, pop in a new beater bar & belt for like $15 and run the heck out of them. Great units

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom