A Perfect template for your donor piece every time!!

John Watson

Just seeing John M's burn repair on the low level loop carpet shows the importance of getting the perfect fit of the donor piece. Many count rows, swap the cutting blade from side to side when cutting with their row cutters.

I do a little of all of the above, I was taught this by Barry Costa 14 years ago and have used it many many times with out fail. I have used it on repairs as small a 1 in sq up to 3x3 foot section in the middle of a living room but stay nailed the larger section. When doing the larger ones I use a stiff piece of cardboard with duct tape edges..

Ok, Here goes, I will try to explain with out the use of photo's

Determine the lay of the pile on both the donor and receiver carpets.
Mark the donor!!! remember the receiver.

Using a blunt instrument (pencil, knitting needle, blade-less row cutter) determine and clear your width or 2 side rows, I have seen some now apply masking tape to the two outside edges to hold the fibers back on cut pile.

Now determine your length the same way as you did your width. Tape the outside edges if you like or feel needed.

I try to always measure twice but cut once (Don't always work for me)
Run the blunt instrument around again to make sure you wont be cutting the face yarns. Then use a straight edge, square, tri square or free hand if you want and cut between the rows you have marked and separated.

I use a thin double sided blade called a bloody Mary where I see John M uses a single sided blade that is called a pad knife.

Now put 4-6 layers of duct tape on the back of the piece you just cut out and using my duck billed scissors cut around very carefully not cutting any of the backing just cut duct tape. Mark the lay direction on the tape Set this piece down and prepare your donor. I try to make sure I have a good almost square corner to start from. Using a little foresight, I remove the duct tape off the damaged piece This is an identical piece with adhesive to stick and place on the donor trying to match up 2 edges. Then cut the other 2 sides. I again use my bloody Mary where I have also used my scissors.

Now just think about it, If you did as described the backing Both primary and secondary backings will fit one way with the pile in the correct direction into the receiver hole. If you allowed for the row locations they should line up as well. After adjusting the fit insert Kool glide tape (BY far the easiest to do) or the other kinds (Even reg seaming tape will work with a glue gun), seal your edges and secure your piece in place.

I have charged from $75 to 350. depending on the carpet and location.

Try this on a few scraps of different type of goods Level loop cut pile and cut and loop pile faces It's easy, quick and you can be a hero.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Just humour him Harry, he turned 89 last week :lol:

While I agree with Harry, in that I've never seen the need to make a second template. (second because the cut out is the first, and in my case only template needed)

However, having said that, it all comes down to having things like this to work as aides in your repair work. If you get a better job by doing this or other templates, go for it, just do what you have to to achieve the best result you can.

John

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
One of the most frustrating things I have found so far when doing repairs is getting the donor piece the right size. I tried the tape trick the other night on an iron burn and it helped quite a bit. I hope that experience will make things easier too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom