Wonder if today will be my day....

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
It's a cracked flex plate. I have an o4 Chev 3500 6 liter. I bought it with 60,000 miles and shortly after it started to sound just like that. Dealer replace the flex plate with another OEM part. 50,000 miles later it started again. This time I took it to an independent auto trans shop. They ordered up dated plate and something else I can't remember. No noise since but it's only been 5000 miles or so.

steve_64

Mine has a deeper rattle at certain rpms under a load.

I was thinking flex plate too. Had one rattle like that from replacing the starter.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
It's a cracked flex plate. I have an o4 Chev 3500 6 liter. I bought it with 60,000 miles and shortly after it started to sound just like that. Dealer replace the flex plate with another OEM part. 50,000 miles later it started again. This time I took it to an independent auto trans shop. They ordered up dated plate and something else I can't remember. No noise since but it's only been 5000 miles or so.
best shot yet!

Name
Lee Stockwell
Had an 05 Chevy with the same flex plate issues. The original internal factory bulletin called for engine replacement due to mis-drilled holes in the crankshaft.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Had an 05 Chevy with the same flex plate issues. The original internal factory bulletin called for engine replacement due to mis-drilled holes in the crankshaft.
I think I read something about that but I don't understand what is mis-drilled. If they where misaligned then you wouldn't be able to get all the bolts in. If they were not drilled to the proper depth perhaps it would not torque down properly.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I think I read something about that but I don't understand what is mis-drilled. If they where misaligned then you wouldn't be able to get all the bolts in. If they were not drilled to the proper depth perhaps it would not torque down properly.
That may be the problem. Not having all the bolts in. Comes down the assembly line, guy has a choice. Stop the line and have it pulled off or get 2 bolts in and pray for the best.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
That may be the problem. Not having all the bolts in. Comes down the assembly line, guy has a choice. Stop the line and have it pulled off or get 2 bolts in and pray for the best.
I could easily see that happening but all bolts were present on mine and it still broke. There were cracks emanating from most all the holes going in all directions.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
This is a new Flex plate...well new after first Transmission pulled and rebuilt...then they pulled that transmission and put in new complete including ANOTHER new torque converter....BUT...used Flex plate number 2 (in my opinion was stupid after transmission ate itself up with Flex plate number 2)

Transmission number 2 I ran it anyway for some time with the noise (was pissed and gonna see what it does or blows) and it plugged up the coolant lines to the radiator, so needed new radiator....

This is transmission number 3

Doing power lock braking and spin outs in a school parking lot test in the cold...noise is in forward but not reverse.

On level ground not as much noise....incline...much more noise....

But if really MN cold...noise just driving everywhere!

Got a call from Tom at Butler....he thinks a new Y pipe isn't going to fix it either....noise sounds in time with the motor....

But go ahead and put a new Y pipe and cats on her.....I will see...

If it works....GREAT!

If not....I will have to deal with it in about 7 weeks....

I am on the Road now until the middle of March...

I really don't trust it because if it blows apart in a customers driveway and makes a mess....that is not something we are going to recover from in my opinion knowing there could be a problem....

I'm gonna back it out of the garage today and see what it sounds like...

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Damn Mark, I say light her up and burn her down. Force them into a nev van.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
She's home tonight...

New exhaust Y and catalytic converters...

Not that she didn't put up a fight.

Exhaust manifold bolt broke.

They couldn't get a welded nut to work.

Removed and repaired manifold.

Holding my breath... But...

Just got off the phone with a carpet cleaner friend in Boston who had me on the phone with 2 GM engineers tonight.

They think cracked frame or motor mount cracked around Frame.

If she makes noise she could go swimming.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
That is really pathetic. Was it making a noise on the way home last night?

No noise on way home.

When it's cold yes, or cold out does it all the time

On an angle...yes noise....

Left with them today with a full tank of gas...

Leaving Sunday for 5 weeks...then home 4 days and back down to Florida for Mikey's Fest

This is just plain stressful!!!

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
You can borrow my 2001 Express 3500 loaded with an Amtex Dragon.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
4E5BD7B4-EBA9-449A-A2F0-C0C3A6B970B4.jpeg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom