Went Hybrid HWE/VLM Today

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
Great day today. Scenario was:
Last year I helped out a lady get out of a jam and fit in a quick spot clean. I made the place look good for $200. Another year goes by and she wants me to "do what I did last time, its not that bad, just go over everything".

I measured and itemized and called her with the $800 quote. Explained to her I spot cleaned and went a little above and beyond, but cant keep doing that. Anything I clean I take my time and do the best I can.

She totally understood and just went with the stairs (this time the ones to the garage for the first time), the little landing area connecting the stairs mid level, and the Master bedroom traffic areas. $220.

She was so nice and wanted to schedule the rest of the living room and the hallway when she gets more $.

I do not want to come back. I want to close this job. So........

Just for you, I am gonna clean the hallway and living room and not charge you this time using my VLM method. You can then decide in the future which cleaning you would then prefer.

So I did my double vac of the Oreck followed by Kirby and used Tops Pad Cap Pro and the Odyseey to do the hallway and living room. She is so happy and has 4 freinds and neighbors, one let me in.

Results amazing, once again my camera sucks, and the lighting was horrible. But the pics show the area im talking about.

Where the PCQJ is and the other wands is where I HWE along with the stairs. To the left is just vacuumed.
IMG_9420.jpeg
Heres the hallway she wanted but not in budget.
IMG_9424.jpeg

After Odyssey with Pad Cap Pro, agitation pad and cotton pad.
IMG_9427.jpeg
IMG_9426.jpeg

I also let the Pad Cap Pro dwell for 10 minutes as I was putting away my HWE hoses. I made certain not to touch what I padded and mess it up with water, lol. Seriously, she will give me and her friends the feedback of this experience. I feel good about it.
IMG_9423.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Living The Dream

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
I had a 5 star waiting for me to clean a few spots on cushions and the Bedroom entrance and spot. Thank you Trinity Stepson. This house has no set up except inside using all the stairs. BUT there is an elevator. So I put the barstools, 5 cushions in the elevator. One section of hose into garage and HWE. Then I took my Stepson for an elevator ride.
IMG_9431.jpeg

Vac and VLM what was needed. Got paid with a good tip and was so happy I fit her in.

IMG_9430.jpeg

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
Nothing a RotoVac StairPro wouldn’t do better and dry quicker. Sorry Bud
Listen, dont be sorry. If it will do better and dry quicker, has a small enough footprint to carry, im in. I clean insane amounts of stairs.
I am ALWAYS looking for improvment.

Reactions: Rob Grady

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
Works fantastic on the bullnoses. Rarely ever have to clean he risers, and when i do, use my Kleenright hand piece.

View attachment 124531 View attachment 124532
I always do risers, at least go over them to grab overspray. Sometimes concentrating on bullnose gets em and sets me up to extract. Im not a fan of the RX 20(?) either. I had one.
I like seeing whats going on since most my carpets are not trashed, I keep an eye out for residue foam from homeowner spot cleaning. This just seems easier with my PMF 1530 or PMF 1530DBL for tighter staircases. Plus they have many other applications. Outdoor cushions, sometimes indoor, that PMF gets it done. Same tool. Under beds, same tool. Cubicles same.
I would like to try one of these someday, but definatley not ordering until then. Thanks for sharing.

Rob Grady

Name
Rob Grady
I have several cleaning heads, all of them are choked down to one jet. Each of the heads has a different jet size from .5-1.5 increments, depending on soil load. I also control flow with the valve I removed from my SS hand piece and put on my lead hp hose.
If you look at the picture of the cleaning head you will see the ss glide on the bottom of the brass distribution chamber which allows me to edge over the bullnoses. It wouldn’t be possible to do that with the stock heads.

Reactions: Nate The Great

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
I didn’t see one picture in this thread that I would’ve felt the need to pull hoses for.

You need a more aggressive scrubbing pad for your Odyssey. The MF pads from TOPS aren’t enough.

Either get a CRB or use a tan scrub pad, then onto the Glads or a better MF extraction pad, like Polar Pads from encapstore.com

For the nasties, you might try adding a splash of ammonia to the PCP to up the ph a bit. But that should be rare.

Also, during the scrubbing phase, OP machines scrub best when you push them faster, so they have that bite on the carpet.

When you extract using pads, go slower.

I rarely use my TM anymore and my referrals are getting to the point where I’m turning down new customers.

My average per room rate is up to around $75 and I’m in the working class Midwest.

VLM will win the day for you, but there’s less room for error, so you have to know what you’re doing.

Lastly, callbacks almost never happen for me anymore.

Ps: invest in a stepdad, it’ll change your life on stairs. The stepson doesn’t have an enough head weight and doesn’t have enough power to handle putting your own weight on it.

Mikey P

Administrator
I didn’t see one picture in this thread that I would’ve felt the need to pull hoses for.

You need a more aggressive scrubbing pad for your Odyssey. The MF pads from TOPS aren’t enough.

Either get a CRB or use a tan scrub pad, then onto the Glads or a better MF extraction pad, like Polar Pads from encapstore.com

For the nasties, you might try adding a splash of ammonia to the PCP to up the ph a bit. But that should be rare.

Also, during the scrubbing phase, OP machines scrub best when you push them faster, so they have that bite on the carpet.

When you extract using pads, go slower.

I rarely use my TM anymore and my referrals are getting to the point where I’m turning down new customers.

My average per room rate is up to around $75 and I’m in the working class Midwest.

VLM will win the day for you, but there’s less room for error, so you have to know what you’re doing.

Lastly, callbacks almost never happen for me anymore.

Ps: invest in a stepdad, it’ll change your life on stairs. The stepson doesn’t have an enough head weight and doesn’t have enough power to handle putting your own weight on it.

You started with a VLM system that didnt work out, or you didnt master it and went HWE and then returned to VLM with a TOPS system, if I recall corectly.

IF you could start all over, what would you do, and what bike are you riding this last quarter of 23?

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
You started with a VLM system that didnt work out, or you didnt master it and went HWE and then returned to VLM with a TOPS system, if I recall corectly.

IF you could start all over, what would you do, and what bike are you riding this last quarter of 23?
Combination really. I don’t think I could properly VLM homes without TOPS gear, the Odyssey is the finest residential VLM tool on earth and it’s not even close. One just needs the right pads.

I will never not have a TM, especially for tile. But I just don’t need it much for carpet.

I’m still riding my Pan Am, which is shocking for me.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
I don't have an Odyssey. Yet. Contemplating a Swirly.
Swirly is a good rotary, but doesn’t clean residential carpet like an Odyssey. I have both and the Swirly sits in a corner.

I do clean a retail store with lots a fixtures on the floor, so I use the Swirly for its maneuverability.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom