Went Hybrid HWE/VLM Today

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
I sold a $300 touch up today for a customer that has a rental. I am gonna pad this in a month. I HWE today, but did a VLM in a demonstration today. I assured her, no more worries if her place needs a cleaning with a 2 hr window of changeover. Here is how it went

Before (I HWE under the couches, done)
IMG_7244.jpeg

After

IMG_7246.jpeg

I did not do a good job padding, because I was set up for HWE already. I did this as a demo to show how I could put a band aid on it for the immediate time. I only sprayed a few ounces of Pad Cap Pro, NO dwell time, and was an instant no brainer for my customer t0 book a 30 minute appt in a month for $300. Win Win. She is so comforted now.

THEN I HWE after the hack pad job (the original work order. this pad was just a demo. Google cant sell for you like you can)
IMG_7247.jpeg

Fisnished

IMG_7252.jpeg

You can see the HWE did zing it, but if they knew I could have made it better without being as invasive and dry time restricted, they would have done this last season.
If I spent more time and more experience, I probably could have made them look great without hwe.
IMG_7250.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
So Im gonna do this job in a few weeks. I am gonna Hybrid Clean. HWE first, then I want to Pad it. So after its HWE and still looks nasty, do I just start VLM, or should I come back when its completley dry, like the next day? I am doing this as an experiment and then may market this in the winter. If I get it better than just HWE.
IMG_7492.jpeg
IMG_7493.jpeg

So I got the Odyssey, some Pad Cap Pro, Tops Spotter to try to get better visual results.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
So Im gonna do this job in a few weeks. I am gonna Hybrid Clean. HWE first, then I want to Pad it. So after its HWE and still looks nasty, do I just start VLM, or should I come back when its completley dry, like the next day? I am doing this as an experiment and then may market this in the winter. If I get it better than just HWE.
View attachment 123279
View attachment 123280

So I got the Odyssey, some Pad Cap Pro, Tops Spotter to try to get better visual results.
Why don't you do vlm first, then hwe?

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I vlm a 40 yr old green carpet in a church rectory today. I put Christmas trees in it with my crb to cover swirly’s. They said it looks new😂 Let’s don’t get carried away🙄 I crb’d the carpeted steps 🤷🏼‍♂️

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
they key to any method is agitation, so if you HWE without agitation, then you will be happy with bonnet cleaning. If you use agitation with HWE, you wont need to pad it.
So a good dry vac, then VLM with the striped agitation pad, HWE, then a cotton pad to finish. Would that be the correct steps?

Reactions: KevinL and SamIam

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
View attachment 123279
View attachment 123280

You can do any combination, or do both:

1.1 Prescrub and HWE: If that’s what you decide, you don’t need to use an encap product. Just scrub in your favorite prespray and extract.

1.2 VLM and (Maybe) HWE: On a job that isn’t as bad as this, VLM and only HWE if the carpet doesn’t look good enough when you’re done. This method is what ends up selling guys on VLM, as it ends up working far better than expected most of the time. (Or the tendency to want to not work to hard makes a lot of tired old guys see it as “good enough”)

2.1 HWE and VLM: Carpets that are grossly soiled can sometimes look blotchy or streaked afterward. VLM, and in the old days shampoo, has the ability to agglomerate soil and leave “friendly” residues that scatter light and make the carpet appear to be cleaner. Don’t hate on me VLM guys, but that is one of the secrets of the method. My father was doing this in the early 70s.

2.2 HWE and VLM after the carpet dries. Now that we are deep into the “poly revolution”, wicking after HWE is getting to be more common, and VLM fixes it quickly.

In the end, you do what seems to make sense based in the carpet fiber type, soil load, your experience....and what the job and/or the customer is worth.

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
You can do any combination, or do both:

1.1 Prescrub and HWE: If that’s what you decide, you don’t need to use an encap product. Just scrub in your favorite prespray and extract.

1.2 VLM and (Maybe) HWE: On a job that isn’t as bad as this, VLM and only HWE if the carpet doesn’t look good enough when you’re done. This method is what ends up selling guys on VLM, as it ends up working far better than expected most of the time. (Or the tendency to want to not work to hard makes a lot of tired old guys see it as “good enough”)

2.1 HWE and VLM: Carpets that are grossly soiled can sometimes look blotchy or streaked afterward. VLM, and in the old days shampoo, has the ability to agglomerate soil and leave “friendly” residues that scatter light and make the carpet appear to be cleaner. Don’t hate on me VLM guys, but that is one of the secrets of the method. My father was doing this in the early 70s.

2.2 HWE and VLM after the carpet dries. Now that we are deep into the “poly revolution”, wicking after HWE is getting to be more common, and VLM fixes it quickly.

In the end, you do what seems to make sense based in the carpet fiber type, soil load, your experience....and what the job and/or the customer is worth.
2.1 is very interesting, I was thinking something like that happened when I did a VLM instead of HWE and looked so much better. It was exactly what it needed since they always looked just grungy.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I just go with the flow. I guess hybrid would be using multiple methods in commercial cleaning. I’m with most here on residential unless it’s interim maintenance. Surroundings and environment often dictate what’s appropriate in my case. As one of my employees said yesterday, you’ve got a lot shit.

Reactions: Mike J

Lamesalegend

Usually I OP First and HWE after. Unless its an olefin, then I HWE first then OP with an encap sprayed on the traffic areas. Just depends. But if I think resoiling could be an issue with an olefin I finish with the pad

Reactions: Mike J and Mikey P

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
" agglomerate"

is that a word for smearing the dirtiest parts to the less dirty parts for a more "even" and lighter dinge of what wasn't pushed to the backing?

:winky::stir:

................................................................................................................................

if post padding improves your workmanship, it's nearly always for one of two reasons;

The carpet needed mechanical agitation to start with for the juice, tools/system and technique you use
Or
your wand technique stinks

the scrub, whether roto brush or bonnet, Oh-Pee or Scumex, the scrub comes BEFORE the HWE rinse

..L.T.A.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Thanks! These parrallell tracks are very common in 55+ communities. If I can "fix" them, it will be good. I will post the results.
Rubber sole shoes old retirees traveling the same paths shuffling.

It's one of the hardest things to break free.

The friction and rubber.

I tell people get different shoes or slippers.

The other thing is barefoot with lotion, that cleans up easier. just soils fast when the lotion oil up feet and walk.

Usually around the primary room around the bed.

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
" agglomerate"

is that a word for smearing the dirtiest parts to the less dirty parts for a more "even" and lighter dinge of what wasn't pushed to the backing?

:winky::stir:

................................................................................................................................

if post padding improves your workmanship, it's nearly always for one of two reasons;

The carpet needed mechanical agitation to start with for the juice, tools/system and technique you use
Or
your wand technique stinks

the scrub, whether roto brush or bonnet, Oh-Pee or Scumex, the scrub comes BEFORE the HWE rinse

..L.T.A.

Actually no Larry, its about the opposite.

This never made sense to me, but as I have been taught, it is this:

Agglomeration is when a large variety of small particles "clump together" in larger, but far less numerous regions. Even though it would seem this would make an overall dark cast look like several large spots, what seems to occur is that since these agglomerated areas are still too small for the naked eye to see, but leaves the area looking cleaner.

I have seen it shown like this:

Becomes:

o o

o o

o o

Someone much more informed and intelligent than I can probably make more sense of this than I did Uncle Larry. You'd think with the brilliant parents I had (you didn't know my mom, but my father always considered her far more intelligent than him, and you do know how intelligent he is) I'd have come out better. I think my two older sisters got all the good genes in good looks and brains, and I got what was left....

:biggrin:

All I know is that my father did that a lot back when he still was active in the field in his cleaning business and it worked.

Last edited:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
and you do know how intelligent he is)

I do indeed.
I'll also add PapaLee has something else that's not always mutual to intelligence.
That's wisdom

Here's my thing, if the goal is only to make money, then scrub 'n run.
hell, sell 'em scotch guard for the res poly rag they just cimex'd...I don't care.

Just don't call it "quality" cleaning

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom