owner operator #2

G

honest truth now because there is a lot of bull here. owner operators are you making any money now in the dead of the winter and with this economy i know im not this is really bad for me how about you.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
yes we are making money and doing ok. not setting the world on fire but not doing too bad.
if you have not changed your marketing in this economy that may be why you are slow..you have to change with the times.

G

most of you guys dont know upstate newyork syracuse winter time here and its been the same for at least as far as i can remember since 1996 it all shuts down right in december. there really is no jobs with record low temps 10 to 20 below and we have allready 122 inches of snow which is are average.and even when i worked for coit when they were here we where lucky if we did 5 jobs a week and thats the same its been here for years i made 200 phone calls 2 weeks ago i generated 1 job for 90 dollars there has been a lot of companys going out of business here lately and there about to sut down magna plant chrysler transifer cases there voting today there all saying no so i dont care what marketing tools or plans you come up with here it doesnt work you guys are lucky in different markets where you are and the warmer weather you are blessed come here for one winter and youll see and you appreciate where you are.

John Buxton

The only thing that keeps the bills partially paid is water damage jobs. Not many people cleaning when there's a foot of snow on the ground.

LeeCory

January was dreadfully, painfully slow.

Feb is starting out better, I have maybe 10 jobs this week including a 5500 sq. ft. job on Saturday.

Not sure where it will go from there, but it's expected to be slower till Spring kicks in.

campusman57 said:
honest truth now because there is a lot of bull here. owner operators are you making any money now in the dead of the winter and with this economy i know im not this is really bad for me how about you.

So what is it...................

Either were all liars here or its the upstate NY winters ?

Greenie

campusman57 said:
...so i dont care what marketing tools or plans you come up with here it doesnt work you guys are lucky in different markets where you are and the warmer weather you are blessed come here for one winter and youll see and you appreciate where you are.

Dude...if it's that bad, I'd just move....seriously, go down and steal some of Gill's work!

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
Stinks here in Western SD. Worst winter we have had for a long time. Should have listened to Odin back in October to get more marketing in before winter!! :shock: Have used the time to get year end books done, Stay Beautiful program up and running, and other things done to gear up for the Spring!!

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
campusman57 said:

I feel your pain, Scott. Been there- faced that. Colorado winters weren't fun when it came to residential carpet cleaning- recession or no recession.

As an O/O I saved my money, bought a season ski pass and had fun all winter. (I came to look back on those simpler days with a great deal of nostalgia!)

However, once our business grew my pesky employees had the nerve to want a regular paycheck. That is why we developed a regular commercial route of contract jobs plus then we went into fire and W/D which eventually grew to 40% of our gross and accounted for 80% of our net profit.

Island Boy
http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS Looking back on it all, the "ski all winter with occasional trips to Mexico for some sun" as an owner/operator still sounds pretty good. You just need to look down the road- both for the winter ahead AND your eventual retirement. It is NO fun growing old on the wand if you don't choose to be there.

-JB-

Name
JB
Dood, it IS upstate/western NY winters, that's just the way it is, you MUST plan for it, it's waaay too late to do anything about it for this year. You hafta plan ahead for the "slow" season up here, that's all there is too it.

'Cides lets be honest this is the worst winter accumulation wise, and temp. wise we've had in a long time, that don't help. I for the life of me can't member a winter where the "white death" has come down so early and stayed so long in a looooong time.

time to take up x-ctry skiing, or sno-shoeing, enjoy it! S'all ya can do.

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
I have been straight out almost the whole month of January. My carpet Cleaning has been very slow, but I also do tenant move out cleanings, and I have been SLAMMED. Have to work on saturdays and sundays all month just to keep up. :shock: But that is a good problem.

G

oh im not really complaining about it its just worst this year i always save money for the winter it doesnt matter mama has the big job. today it hit 39 i think its a heat wave did one job this morning next job is friday temps are going back down below zero starting tomorrow snow storm comming in tuesday night time to back the van in the garage and bundle it up again.

I live not too far from you and I used to work at the local ILS store here in rochester and delt with many cleaner's in Syracuse. The ones that survive are the ones that have commercial work. With all the salt that is getting put down this is the busy time of year for commercial work. Also, Guys that do flood restoration love this time of year! You need to hit the streets and market your business. When is the last time you did a tile and grout demo?
The work is out there, you just need to get off your bum and go get it...j/k LOL....
I used to here a lot of guys in this area complain about the wheather....the more snow the more carpets that will need to get cleaned in the spring but for now focus on commercial work the snow makes this the busy time for commercial work....

Chris A

Name
Chris
JB said:
I'm keeping my bills paid, that's about it...

Absolutely, my goal for next year will be to have a little left over :D

sometimes that has to be enough to make you happy.
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
Hey chris did you fire up that TM when you got back ??

Yeah Steven I cleaned 2 jobs yesterday and 2 today and its running great. I think the problems just stemmed from lack of maintenence by the previous owner, which caused an extra load on the system, which glazed over my BrAnd new 09 serpentine belt. So far I've put 9 hours on her and hasn't missed a beat!

Plan ahead for the slow time and ENJOY it. (or you'll end up out in the cold, hungry with frozen nuts.)
large_caught_070212_squirrel.jpg

We close down for awhile in the winter and refer any incoming work out to other cleaners.

Chris A

Name
Chris
There are many days I would love to do that Mark. Cleaning in a foot of snow sucks.

In the spring start a "slush fund" (and keep contributing to it all year) to help you coast through next winter a little easier.

G

yea its great here then u get someone who has to have it done on a day thats 5 below and where getting a snow storm and my van sucks really in the snow youd think with all the weight it be great. forget any steep driveways its not happening,the people dont shovel and you barrel to get in the drive way,then you start bringing in the hoses walking in a footand a half of snowthen you got to start up the truck let it warm up bring the pressure line in the house first then go back to the truck get it up to rpms the go back into the house run back to the truck and hook up the pressure line then hall ass back into the trcuk to get the water flowing so it doesn freeze this is always so much fun. like i said you guys in ariziona and calf and warmer states yove got it made come here for one winter it will make you appreciate where your at .

G

oh i always have money for the winter but some guys here think you go out and market your business in the winter ive got to laugh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
campusman57 said:
most of you guys dont know upstate newyork syracuse winter time here and its been the same for at least as far as i can remember since 1996 it all shuts down right in december. there really is no jobs with record low temps 10 to 20 below and we have allready 122 inches of snow which is are average.and even when i worked for coit when they were here we where lucky if we did 5 jobs a week and thats the same its been here for years i made 200 phone calls 2 weeks ago i generated 1 job for 90 dollars there has been a lot of companys going out of business here lately and there about to sut down magna plant chrysler transifer cases there voting today there all saying no so i dont care what marketing tools or plans you come up with here it doesnt work you guys are lucky in different markets where you are and the warmer weather you are blessed come here for one winter and youll see and you appreciate where you are.

funny this is that i spent 33 years in maryland..the winters were not fun at all so i have been there and done that....

1) you call me lucky or blessed..i call me smart. i didnt like the conditions or offerings of winter in the area so i changed them.

2) shutting down plants, and you dont care about marketing plans??
do houses not burn down in the winter?
do floods not happen in the winter?
do people not kill them self's and need clean up??

identify your problem and solve it..
its not that hard, you can make excuses about training, equipment, weather climate, layoffs....etc etc etc you will be singing the same song next year and next year and next year if you dont make changes.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
davegill said:
you will be singing the same song next year and next year and next year if you dont make changes.

One of my favorite sayings:

"Do what you have always done and you will get what you have always got."

Island Boy
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS Mind you, I'm not saying that I have always lived my life by those words. I've been a real dunderhead far too often. Do as I say and not as I did. :)

Mike Draper

I just enjoy all the time I have with my family. Cuz in the summer it's work, work, work.

Name
I'm Rick James
I just started my company late last year. Things were slow and slow. My van and TM is paid off, so no big payments. Used the CC a little more than I wanted but I am hoping for a good year. I have5 jobs this week so far. The weather is nicer so that helps. I have alot of personal stuff going on so managing both is tough.

Thats no bull....

Mike Draper said:
I just enjoy all the time I have with my family. Cuz in the summer it's work, work, work.

Same here! I just wish it was work, work, work all winter and no work in the summer!

G

funny this is that i spent 33 years in maryland..the winters were not fun at all so i have been there and done that....

1) you call me lucky or blessed..i call me smart. i didnt like the conditions or offerings of winter in the area so i changed them.

2) shutting down plants, and you dont care about marketing plans??
do houses not burn down in the winter?
do floods not happen in the winter?
do people not kill them self's and need clean up??

identify your problem and solve it..
its not that hard, you can make excuses about training, equipment, weather climate, layoffs....etc etc etc you will be singing the same song next year and next year and next year if you dont make changes.

hey dave you talk a good game for being in florida 70 80 degrees and maryland winters are for girls they dont compare to here shur house burn down i do all the extractions for one of the biggest water restoration companys but guess what no big floods,i have identifed the problem no ones spending and i didnt make any excuses about training or equipement but it the same song every year here i know im not gonna change it but i really know your not gonna either keep sitting on the beach eating

G

Steve Toburen said:
davegill said:
you will be singing the same song next year and next year and next year if you dont make changes.

One of my favorite sayings:

"Do what you have always done and you will get what you have always got."

Island Boy
http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS Mind you, I'm not saying that I have always lived my life by those words. I've been a real dunderhead far too often. Do as I say and not as I did. :)
this is how that goes----if you always do what youve always done youll always get what youve always got)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom