Opinions on family pics on web ads?

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
I'm looking for opinions about using family and selfie pics into advertising. I've always thought it is cheesy, but maybe it works? I've always marketed my craft on before/after pics...I see many guys on Yelp doing family stuff and selfies ....is this the new marketing thing? Some of these guys run high in my areas

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
A lot of people fear the unknown .. having pics up gives them a (FALSE)(haha) sense of security .. people like to judge by appearance .. they're hoping to see professionally dressed, clean and smiley people

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I'm in the Midwest and many of my customers say they chose us BECAUSE of the pics on our website. I'd highly recommend it. I'd also highly recommend having them professionally done by someone excellent, not some cut rate photographer...those are everywhere.

Check us out here: thegreatcleanmachine.com

The pics were taken almost 2 years ago so we're due for an update but I think they look great and help to set us apart.

Go for it!

The Clean Machine

Reactions: BLewis and Bee Busy

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Selfie definitely, provided you dont look like a serial killer.

Family if its in the right place like on about us page OR if you create a headline, text that ties into the family pic.
Any pic randomly dropped in without explanation is useless.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Depends if you're fookin ugly like Marty why bother. It will just scare the kids! :winky: :lol:

I don't know if it would weigh any heavier than a referral, but why not.

Just make sure everyone is smiling, I see some photo's that look like mug shots.

Reactions: Bee Busy

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I am a huge believer in pictures. I can guarantee that if you have a real estate agent they have their picture on their card. The picture helps with the trust factor and this is the largest purchase you will ever make so trust is critical.

Pictures of the family always makes your primary customer (women) feel better about your company. We all root for the small guy (if you don't believe me go review the infamous 1200 thread) and a picture of the family may be the difference between your company and a large franchise.

Some of the best pictures are pictures of your child wearing the company uniform and baseball cap using a stair tool for cleaning. The best marketing is always emotional.

Remember we buy on emotions and justify with logic.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Anything to replace the happy baby pictures will be a great cause for rejoicing.

A good picture of a 'likable' person will help. Discretely placed and not over done. Don't go all schmaltzy.
Because as we all know, soon everybody will have it, including the franchises and you'll still be part of the crowd.

And then, as always what will set you apart will be your reviews, reputation phone etiquette and how good your marketing material is.

P.S.

1. Did I mention good work?
  2. Most of us lose some of our famous neutrality when judging our own pictures (Sir Richard Chavez being the exception :winky:) Not every one should have their picture out there. It is very important that the person projects what it is that will help win trust.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bee Busy

Ron K

I put my first selfie up once......1/2 Thumb 1/2 Forehead! Still don't have the telemetry quite right.

I don't have my picture but that's what nice looking Vans are all about.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I think it depends on the market. Here, a nice family pic is ideal I think. I still haven't done it though :-(

Word of mouth is king, but surprisingly, many folks don't have referrals and google is their source.....so a website says a lot. In Lincoln, folks seem to love owner/op type businesses.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Of course, the 2 marketing guys above would give a thumbs up on selfies, family, and kids pictures in your advertising. The most I would say is a great pic of your truck and lettering. I for one just pass by any ads that depict kids, or selfies. It's a turn off for me.....like they are marketing on the custys emotions. But if it works in your market, use it.

I have a few local advertisers, some CC'ers, that use selfies of them with their product, or even holding a wand. I'd say in most of these, if not all, they haven't cleaned a carpet (or whatever they are selling) in many, many years. I think it's cheezy looking. But only my opinion in my market.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I agree. It is cheesy.
However, one should have a picture of themselves and possibly employees somewhere on your web site. Preferably in the :About Us" section.
Done discretely and with taste. So that for those for whom it is important, it will be available.

Bear in mind that "Marketing Gurus" try to appeal to the largest common denominator. Does not mean that they're wrong though. Just use your common sense, pick the good stuff and disregard the rest.
Marketing principals are universal. Their application still needs to be adjusted to your business, your personality and your specific market.

In other words: Do not let others do all the thinking for you. It is still your business and has to go with who you are.

Last edited:

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Of course, the 2 marketing guys above would give a thumbs up on selfies, family, and kids pictures in your advertising. The most I would say is a great pic of your truck and lettering. I for one just pass by any ads that depict kids, or selfies. It's a turn off for me.....like they are marketing on the custys emotions. But if it works in your market, use it.

I have a few local advertisers, some CC'ers, that use selfies of them with their product, or even holding a wand. I'd say in most of these, if not all, they haven't cleaned a carpet (or whatever they are selling) in many, many years. I think it's cheezy looking. But only my opinion in my market.

Robert the one thing to keep in mind is you are not your target audience. Whether you like it or not marketing is all emotional. Ask any woman you deal with if she chose you because she likes your truck.

If I am selling truck mounts then it is totally different. The you are the market and cute puppies is the last thing you want to see.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Marketing is emotional for people who make decision based on emotions.
As someone who deals every day with the public I can tell you with certainty that not all clients do.
Yes, they all want their home to look- GREAT!!! but that is not necessarily all emotional. They just want a good cleaning.

Some are actually appalled (turned off) by the effort to trigger an 'emotional decision'. Too obvious an attempt to push decision triggers (see happy children, smiling dogs, joke telling cool lizards) will often get the opposite results.

Last edited:

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Marketing is emotional for people who make decision based on emotions.
As someone who deals every day with the public I can tell you with certainty that not all clients do.
Yes, they all want their home to look- GREAT!!! but that is not necessarily emotions.

Some are actually appalled (turned off) by the effort to trigger an 'emotional decision'. Too obvious an attempt to push decisions by pushing triggers, will often get the opposite results.

Ofer do a google search on any study having to do with buying decisions. Regardless of who you are most of your decisions are emotional. We buy on emotions and justify with logic.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Bill, I understand that people make decisions on wanting to feel happy, or content, or by being triggered by fear etc.
So in that regard you're absolutely right: Their decisions are based on emotions.

However, my argument (which should have been explained better) is how it is being implemented and how obvious (or not) is the use of triggers.
People will base their decisions based on experiencing (or avoiding) certain emotions, but they're not dumb. At least that is my experience. And they resent being manipulated. At least the smart ones.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Bill, I understand that people make decisions on wanting to feel happy, or content, or by being triggered by fear etc.
So in that regard you're absolutely right: Their decisions are based on emotions.

However, my argument (which should have been explained better) is how it is being implemented and how obvious (or not) is the use of triggers.
People will base their decisions based on experiencing (or avoiding) certain emotions, but they're not dumb. At least that is my experience. And they resent being manipulated. At least the smart ones.

Excellent response. We like to think we are logical people. If we were truly logical we wouldn't smoke, we wouldn't eat McDonalds hamburgers, we would exercise, we wouldn't buy lottery tickets and the list goes on.

I am always amazed that people will watch infomercials and many of these people are very smart.

The word manipulate has a strong connotation but when we say a term like reciprocity or even marketing it is different. If we truly believe we are benefitting the customer then it is not manipulation even though we need to somehow push them into something they don't want to do.

Love the discussion.

Sounds like a great discussion to continue at the Irish Pub next week.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
If we truly believe we are benefitting the customer then it is not manipulation even though we need to somehow push them into something they don't want to do.

That absolutely nails it. It also makes it easier for us to "market".
There's a great book about it by Jay Abraham called "Getting everything you can out of what you got."

Manipulation though (which many employ) can still be a double edged sword.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Marketing really IS manipulating someone to call you and pay you well for what you do. I think it should be honest however. If you are projecting something you are not, the custy may be disappointed. Be the best you can, project it through marketing, and hopefully make a good profit from it.

We purposely try to project an image of small, family business who is striving to be the best.

While on a job if there's a way for you to make a personal tie to a customer, do it. Don't be creepy but talk about their dog or little kid or car or beautiful home or quality carpet or nice vacuum cleaner, etc.

I want a customers long term business, above everything else. I want them to tell their friends, family, people at church, coworkers about what a great experience they had with TCM. This experience often begins on your website.

The Clean Machine

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
So should i put this pic of me and my cat on my website?
View attachment 3941

Yes, just like any picture.
Explain why is it there. If you explain that you have been a pet owner for 20 years and understand the challenges ....

Just like a selfie, next to your list of services its useless.
Next to a paragraph welcoming people to your website and introducing yourself/business is relevant.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom