here is $10,000, spend it on marketing in 2013 What would you do?

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Like the title says. If you were given 10,000 dollars extra on top of what you are already spending on marketing what would you spend it on? One limitation, NO INTERNET.

Newspaper?
Tv?
Radio?
Direct mail?
Door hangers?
Salesman?

Mix of any of these or anything else?

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Would need to see the rest of the budget plan for adv as well as sales goals to give intelligent answer. Marketing/advertising are just a component of the cost structure.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Like the title says. If you were given 10,000 dollars extra on top of what you are already spending on marketing what would you spend it on? One limitation, NO INTERNET.

Newspaper?
Tv?
Radio?
Direct mail?
Door hangers?
Salesman?

Mix of any of these or anything else?
That's tough, some of it will depend on your market Richard and who are you trying to reach. Here Newspaper is dead, unless you go electronic, TV is too pricey for what you've budgeted, I like radio, I like direct mail, especially with the post office now helping you pick neighborhoods you want to be in. Door hangers, I wouldn't. Salesman or saleswomen might be worth a try at least part time if targeting commercial work.

This might not work in a large market but might do nicely in small to medium. ???
$10,000.00 ($833.33 a month) will go fast but maybe a mix of direct mail, radio or if you looking at expanding your commercial sales then I'd opt for a part time saleswomen.

Pick your peak months and concentrate more of your funds to stimulate sales then, lighter in traditionally slower cleaning months but still allow for funds to keep some recognition.

April-July is peak here not sure how it is in Cali- I'd spend $6,000.00 in those 4-months. $1,500.00 a month. $1,000.00 radio and $500.00 direct mail.

November-December $2,000.00. $500.00 radio, $500.00 direct mail each month

$2,000.00 (Jan-March, Aug-Oct) Radio $333.00 a month (or kick in an extra $166.67 a month and keep your radio at $500.00)

Of course you'll have to do your homework....I'm no marketing guru.....I just stayed at a Holiday Inn last night! :winky:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Definitely have to narrow it down better, this is too vague.

What services do you provide?
What is your typical customer like
Area ?

Prices? medium or high

no super secret answer, more trying to match up the right one for you and your targets.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i would join the little ol' black lady Texas Holdem card party....
an' pass my magnetic business cards out!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't believe he is in Hotlanta. :stir:

Outchere in the sticks I can get 30-seconds for $18.00...of course only Dan and I are listening but I can still get it for $18.00.

$23.00 for the number one in the market. Then it's Dan, me & my mom listening. :p

Small markets like we have very cheap media.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
LOL- and those would be the wrong stations Richard. Rarely buy what you listen to, watch or read, if your a man. Detroit is not nearly as high as it sounds like Atlanta is, but 10k in radio would not be the way I would do it if that was all I had. Like I said need to know business size, sales goals, adv budget and spend so far. Adding 10k to a adv budget of 1 million is totally different from adding it to $500.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Another way to look at it is:

Let's say Greg's business has an adv budget of 1 Million.

He can take a calculated risk of 10k trying something new and it only represent 1% of his adv budget. Heck he may put 2-3% of the budget to new things each year. The risk is minimal in how it will likely effect business if it doesn't work, while the reward potential is great if it does.

A 10k budget putting only $100-$300 towards new things, vs tried and true is representing the same risk level as a percent.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
have yor local community newspaper insert about 10,000 half page flyers
so they fall out into Mrs Phiffts lap as she reads the paper........
much better than a printed ad.............
Printing costs...roughly $300 to $400
insert charge...$200.00

KICK START.......BIG TIME!

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
18-20 bucks 30 seconds?? That's insane...if you have 500 for radio spots that maybe a 30 sec spot around here.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It's cheap here but then you get what you pay for.

We don't have the population you guys do, we have a few people but mostly Opssums and Coyotes that make up our population.

mcatt

Name
Mike
If people are searching for your services online there I would say use $300-$500 a month on a quality SEO guy to get you ranked for the most searched keywords there.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
have yor local community newspaper insert about 10,000 half page flyers
so they fall out into Mrs Phiffts lap as she reads the paper........
much better than a printed ad.............
Printing costs...roughly $300 to $400
insert charge...$200.00

KICK START.......BIG TIME!

Its quite a bit higher than that here and I didn't get a single phone call. Don't miss those days, that was the mortgage money that month. :eek:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
A private golf course membership. Use the reciprocals to play at the more expensive surrounding clubs. Be a good guy to play with, and tell a few people about my company if they ask.

If it didn't bring in loads of business right away it would be no different than most marketing expenditures, but my game would be better and I'd have met people with the ability to spend money.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Are the things you listed you are doing now? That is not alot of money but could put you and/or employee in the chamber of commerce and attend events. Join Le Tip or BNI and that would pay for the costs of meetings and events and a little for the person attending.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Based on $10k for year would probably go with direct mail or Adwords, dont know if you can do enough frequency with $10k on the other choices.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
He said no internet. He's making it tough with limited funds. I truly feel the best solution would be to send me the $10,000.00 I'll tell everyone I know how great you are to be sure you got value for your dollar.

Why no internet and why limit your budget to only $10,000.00?

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
I just dropped $10,000 last weekend on my Inner Circle membership with Howard Partridge. It's not a marketing investment but more of an investment in myself and my business. I know it will return more in new business then a $10,000 marketing campaign and continue to solidify my business for the future. I don't think any one time $10,000 investment in marketing can match what I will get from this program. Everyone has different needs for their business and knows what will be best for themselves. This is just the avenue that works best for me.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
I just dropped $10,000 last weekend on my Inner Circle membership with Howard Partridge. It's not a marketing investment but more of an investment in myself and my business. I know it will return more in new business then a $10,000 marketing campaign and continue to solidify my business for the future. I don't think any one time $10,000 investment in marketing can match what I will get from this program. Everyone has different needs for their business and knows what will be best for themselves. This is just the avenue that works best for me.

What do you get from the inner circle for 10k.............you know im dying to say "more then a happy ending i hope "...but really whats in the inner circle

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
actually your not far off. i have done that with full page flyers. it costs about 60 dollars per thousand printed and inserted if you buy 50,000 flyers at a time.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
The reason that I said no internet was because I already do have an seo guy that has me ranked really well in my market. I also do adwards to supplement that so if they prefer to click on a sponsored link then they will get me off there also. Internet is the best return for my money but I have very little room to grow with google at least.

Additionally I do direct mail 4 times a year with a card deck called rsvp. It goes out to 25,000 of the most affluent houses in my market. I have a great response with that also. I am in bni, the largest in the area, I am actually the president.

Things I have done that I am not doing.

Inserts in newspaper. They worked but didn't knock my socks off. Would seriously consider doing them again.
T.V. commercial on cable and broadcast news. Again recieved response but didn't knock my socks off. i probably should of done it longer than a couple months though.

For those asking about my market, the county I live in and service has about 200,000 people. T.v. spots and radio and even the newspaper are very affordable.

Finally the big reason I asked this is because I have tracking numbers on all of my marketing sources. This year I have a full page ad in the yellow pages. When they called to renew I looked up the number of customers and amount spent from those customers that called off the number. It was so pathetic that I told them I didnt want anything in there at all for any price. for the 10,000 I spent I received about 18,000 in work. Still makes me sick thinking about it.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
actually your not far off. i have done that with full page flyers. it costs about 60 dollars per thousand printed and inserted if you buy 50,000 flyers at a time.
Trick IS: get them to the correct neighborhoods.......sure not Mrs Phiff wit the great big house where her husband has been laid off and ther're only gonna call you every OTHER year.......anyway!

go to the hood that has the steady SS and pension and welfare checks coming in every month.....

Last edited:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
The reason that I said no internet was because I already do have an seo guy that has me ranked really well in my market. I also do adwards to supplement that so if they prefer to click on a sponsored link then they will get me off there also. Internet is the best return for my money but I have very little room to grow with google at least.

Additionally I do direct mail 4 times a year with a card deck called rsvp. It goes out to 25,000 of the most affluent houses in my market. I have a great response with that also. I am in bni, the largest in the area, I am actually the president.

Things I have done that I am not doing.

Inserts in newspaper. They worked but didn't knock my socks off. Would seriously consider doing them again.
T.V. commercial on cable and broadcast news. Again recieved response but didn't knock my socks off. i probably should of done it longer than a couple months though.

For those asking about my market, the county I live in and service has about 200,000 people. T.v. spots and radio and even the newspaper are very affordable.

Finally the big reason I asked this is because I have tracking numbers on all of my marketing sources. This year I have a full page ad in the yellow pages. When they called to renew I looked up the number of customers and amount spent from those customers that called off the number. It was so pathetic that I told them I didnt want anything in there at all for any price. for the 10,000 I spent I received about 18,000 in work. Still makes me sick thinking about it.

Seems like you have the targeted type stuff covered, IF i could afford the repetition then would think about big media TV or Radio. I would talk to some contractors first who have experience though to narrow down the times/stations better.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Since you're already doing a good job with internet and direct marketing I'd add a part-time marketer for more commercial work. The problem is that can be evening and weekend work. Good money, easy work, often bad cleaning times.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom