Do you bribe your Realtors and Flooring stores?

Name
Lyon
A buddy of mine thought it was stupid to give out donuts to Realtors. I was thinking of making cookies from scratch for them so they'd remember me as the guy with the best cookies. Is they're a better way then bribing people to get work?

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Lyon
To answer your question
Sales is about relationships. It very hard to get past the gatekeeper in a company.

A gate keeper might be the receptionist, it might be the security guard or even a pushy salesman.

When you engage with people the principle of reciprocity comes into play.
It is very hard to be rude or shut someone down when they are offering you food, tickets, Etc

Think about it in your own life. When you talk to someone at a ball field for your kids, work, church or volunteering you know someone.
When you take the time to have a meal with someone or they show themselves to being thoughtful you have really gotten to know them and the relationship changes.
You have a shared memory, a social bond.

Professional sales people, Small business owners that have built turn key companies all know this to be true.

You don't have to take the time to bake cookies though that is nice. I would say you doing it as man might seem weird to some and actually put them off unless you are a hobby chef like one of my realtors.

I would start with bags of M&M's with your brand sticker on it. Quick & easy you can keep them in a cooler on a hot day, they can be picked up at any gas station. I buy them at the wholesale club. They are not looked at as unhealthy by most. Women love them. Everyone gets their own bag no sharing.

I have never heard a professional sales person disagree with the comment " Food is the gateway to sales"

Good luck selling.

Most never get out of the truck to get off the truck.

A buddy of mine thought it was stupid to give out donuts to Realtors. I was thinking of making cookies from scratch for them so they'd remember me as the guy with the best cookies. Is they're a better way then bribing people to get work?

Last edited:

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
Has sales really come to a cookie conversation? Just do what you say you are going to do - right Tom? Do what you say you are going to do and people will remember that! All the best

Reactions: Derek

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Good luck selling.

Hard to argue with this, Tom. But with respect I'll say that most cleaners simply won't. Too "busy".

So here is an alternative way we recently sent out to "break through" with real estate agents where the cleaner doesn't even have to "get out of the truck"!

Get your foot in the real estate door by driving through upscale areas in your market looking for agent’s “For Sale” signs. Then email these folks offering a “clean carpets” special to help the house sell faster. (Their email will be on the sign.) But how can you grab their attention?
Take a photo of the agent’s listing and include it in your email!

Steve

PS Here is the copy I suggest using for your email. Or make up your own. But I guarantee real estate agents will at least open this email and you don't even have to get out of the truck! :)

Name
Lyon
Hard to argue with this, Tom. But with respect I'll say that most cleaners simply won't. Too "busy".

So here is an alternative way we recently sent out to "break through" with real estate agents where the cleaner doesn't even have to "get out of the truck"!

Get your foot in the real estate door by driving through upscale areas in your market looking for agent’s “For Sale” signs. Then email these folks offering a “clean carpets” special to help the house sell faster. (Their email will be on the sign.) But how can you grab their attention?
Take a photo of the agent’s listing and include it in your email!

Steve

PS Here is the copy I suggest using for your email. Or make up your own. But I guarantee real estate agents will at least open this email and you don't even have to get out of the truck! :)

Great idea! I can follow up with a visit to they're office a couple days later with some m&ms, and I'm a member of my local Realtor association, so I've met a lot of Realtors and may know they're friends, will make breaking the ice easier.

Mikey's the King of networking with flooring stores, they're a lot harder to build relationships with, I've only had one and they never gave me work, the owners cheap and they clean they're own carpet now. I use to clean them and his house for dirt cheap

Name
Lyon
Lyon
To answer your question
Sales is about relationships. It very hard to get past the gatekeeper in a company.

A gate keeper might be the receptionist, it might be the security guard or even a pushy salesman.

When you engage with people the principle of reciprocity comes into play.
It is very hard to be rude or shut someone down when they are offering you food, tickets, Etc

Think about it in your own life. When you talk to someone at a ball field for your kids, work, church or volunteering you know someone.
When you take the time to have a meal with someone or they show themselves to being thoughtful you have really gotten to know them and the relationship changes.
You have a shared memory, a social bond.

Professional sales people, Small business owners that have built turn key companies all know this to be true.

You don't have to take the time to bake cookies though that is nice. I would say you doing it as man might seem weird to some and actually put them off unless you are a hobby chef like one of my realtors.

I would start with bags of M&M's with your brand sticker on it. Quick & easy you can keep them in a cooler on a hot day, they can be picked up at any gas station. I buy them at the wholesale club. They are not looked at as unhealthy by most. Women love them. Everyone gets their own bag no sharing.

I have never heard a professional sales person disagree with the comment " Food is the gateway to sales"

Good luck selling.

Is dropping by once a month often enough, and do you tape business cards directly to each individual bag of candy?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
All i can say is plan on doing this in a 4-8 week rotation for many,many months and even years.
Doesn't really matter if you bring a gift in or not. The question is are you committed to doing this for the long term?

If not then don't bother...

Reactions: Moser Brothers

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i give'm 10% (after taxes) of what i make on the 1st cleaning for each new client. half don't even want that (but they of course take it.) they tell me, "the last guy never showed up to my customer's homes, that is why i am referring them to you now. just answer your phone and be there for them when they schedule something."

Reactions: Shane Deubell

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Sales has always envolved food. I just came from a networking event the hosting company had amazing food live music and was giving away swag bags.

Yes it has come to food. A players aren't signing up for cleanings at 1 am. News flash.

Has sales really come to a cookie conversation? Just do what you say you are going to do - right Tom? Do what you say you are going to do and people will remember that! All the best

Last edited:

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
Lyon you also need to change your mind set about this type of marketing. It's not a bribe, but relationship building. Food breaks down barriers and opens dialog.

Reactions: Moser Brothers

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
"Yes it has come to food. A players aren't signing up for cleanings at 1 am. News flash."

Well.......... actually, they do. I promise not to spam you with a bunch of examples (just one). All the Best

View attachment 4823

He said A players, which means referral sources that can send him $10k a year or more in work.

$600 is not an A player ...

Last edited:

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
We do some complimentary cleanings for "some" realtors in our areas. Leave them a bunch of cards and flyers and go from there. They can see our work and refer.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
ya right....i this day and age....im really gonna eat some food that some stranger wit dirt under his fingernails brings in.....
those donuts'll be in the trash before yor azz gets out the front door!

Reactions: Derek and steve_64

Bjorn

most real estate agents are as broke dick and cheap like carpet cleaners. Yes you can find the good ones those are the ones to take care of.

Bringing cookies or doughnuts every week does one thing it entitles them to the treats every week without doing anything.

Just like welfare the only time they will notice is when the welfare stops. the EBT card is out of money.

that is how you will be remembered the guy who stopped the cookies not bringing them .

I did something quite a few years ago and he is still my customer. The agent has a few rentals so the first one I cleaned for him I left a can of Coors light next to the bill.
I get a phone call and asked if I left a can of coors on top of the bill. I said yes and the more jobs the better the beer is going to get. Right now your only worth a can of Coors.

Years latter I am leaving a 12 pack of Alaskan amber next to the bill.

He never bitches about price and pays on time he is one of the rare agents so I keep him happy with treats.

Lets not forget this is a two way street if some one is getting you work and you never do them something or send work their way it's going to end.

You must go out of your way to get them work or listings refer them to your customers that need their services.

All this carpet cleaner marketing crap is directed just at extracting what we need and is a one way street which you will reach the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Do quality work, be easy to deal with and bend over backwards for them.

We did some work for an agent at her home. She loved me/my work. About six months later did some work for the owner of the office(who happened to be #1 in the county). That's all it took. Been referring us for years, done nothing for them but good honest work.

Right place - right time.

Name
Ron lippold
I dont do the food thing. If im giving something away its a free cleaning. I have a carpet retailer that is the most respected in town. I cleaned the show rooms mom and dads house and the sons house for 7 years and not one referal. Then on day I get a call and lets say the rest is history.

Reactions: TomKing

Moser Bros.

Gave away a lot of M&ms and not one Realtor called me. Maybe collecting their emails will get a better ROI

Mikey P

Administrator
Moser

I going to say this with all kindness and bluntness.

Find a good looking girl to be your company representative for retailers and real estate agents.

And have her make the cookies too.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Hit up the YPN (Young Professionals Networking) group in your area. Tons of realtors at those things. We picked up about 12 realtors that only refer us now from those. BTW >> You gotta be under 40 to join, I'm guessing that's less than 2% of the members on Mikeysboard. :) Anyways, it free to join and event cover charges are about $10 with free drinks and appetizers. Best time to be networking, while drinking a beer/glass of wine, dressed up. Represent.

Moser Bros.

Hit up the YPN (Young Professionals Networking) group in your area. Tons of realtors at those things. We picked up about 12 realtors that only refer us now from those. BTW >> You gotta be under 40 to join, I'm guessing that's less than 2% of the members on Mikeysboard. :) Anyways, it free to join and event cover charges are about $10 with free drinks and appetizers. Best time to be networking, while drinking a beer/glass of wine, dressed up. Represent.
I'll check the ones in my area out, I did pick up a $700 tile job from a Realtor I met at a mixer, and a couple small jobs from a Realtor/property manager that had me clean her office a couple times and her house, th y have a cheaper cleaner clean their rentals. I have a few good property managers that pay my rates

steve_64

after cleaning peoples homes for about 10 years now ill never eat food someone else cooked unless i know them personally and have seen their kitchen.

Reactions: WillS

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
When I have the time on Sundays I stop bye the open houses in the neighborhood I want to clean in. Point out some things
I can help with. Tile and Grout areas are important because most realtors are convinced the new owners are going to tear all the carpet out.
Make sure to build a good relationship with the owner who is moving and going to need your services again. After all you don't want to move in on top
of someones dirt.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I do a lot of realtor work...I belong in a program with one of the top companies in town...every so often they have a meeting and invite all there vendors that they use in to reintroduce them self's to the new agents that come in......all vendors bring in something to be remembered by...( we use coffee cups )...but it is unethical for a agent to take gifts/bribes.........
realtors are just like everyone else...you have your good ones that target higher end properties and the ones that slum there way thru....
just target the right ones....I don't have problems with the lower end ones..they don't call because I am not what they want...but we do very well with the high end agents...and they never question us...most the time it is a garage code or the lock box number and mail them a bill....

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
dido what Jim said. I've developed a core of agents (around 8 to date) that have been rock steady in referring me. If I get the job I simple make sure I don't let them down. I make double sure I prequalify the job so everyone is on the same page. Always thank them for the referred work. Do we meet for lunch or breakfast every now and then, yes, but its because we're hungry and genuinely like each others company.

I don't kiss any rings or work for discounts, and they know this. I gained 3 more agents this year but don't count them as my core group until they repeat me on referrals. I also don't come to terms with a dozen or so of them every year. This years was no exception. Agents are just like anyone else from most any profession. Some are smart and mature and don't even attempt to jack me around. Others make we wonder how they got a license and how they keep going. To date, 70% of the bounced checks I've received in 9 years have been from Realtors.

I don't attend their business meetings any longer; actually it's been 2 years now. But I attended probably 15-20/yr, 2 1/2 years in a row; several different franchise names. Real different bunch. Keep your guard up with them. Don't get in the habit of cleaning on credit with them. You'll find yourself chasing the money week after week. Stick to your price and do really good work (like we're supposed to anyway) so there's no room for complaining. The real good agents will see the effort and you'll be #1 on their refer list when their clients ask for cleaning. Don't screw up....=)

Reactions: Mikey P

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Cookies don't hurt. But a key concept of sales is to find your prospect's "Point of Pain" (PoP) and then "make that hurt go away". So what is a Realtor's PoP? Listings that don't sell.

So how can you remove this PoP? Studies say one huge turn-off for home buyers is the place "smells funny/musty/odd, etc." So one neat trick is to give Realtors "referral coupons" that give their seller a free "air space deodorization (value 295'00)" courtesy of the Realtor when they have you clean all the carpets and tile and grout in the home.

Steve

PS Now the Realtor looks like a hero to their seller, you have removed the Realtor's Pop AND you can charge list price for the carpet and T & G cleaning. Everybody is happy!

Reactions: Mikey P

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
We ended up creating a sell sheet based on sense of smell steve talks about.

If you want to set up a route, you can use google mymaps and load up a list of your targets to stay organized, efficient.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom