Celery smell???

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
Again...no idea on the celery other than it may be your description of the smell carpet gets after being wet to long and the microbes start multiplying.

What I do know is if there is not someone coming in spraying the carpet after you leave and it is still wet 2 days later.........you did something wrong (not meant to be an attack)....
That was my first thought, but the smell was there before we cleaned the carpet. That's where the problem is. The PM says urine but it aint urine. again I would love for that to be the problem but that cannot be the problem if the problem existed before we came in!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
But I will do the logical thing and adjust my water and drop fans, and move on!

don't think you have much choice but to drop airmovers , DJ
if you want to keep 'em happy, doesn't much matter if it's your technique or some odd condition that inhibits dry times ...drop fans

side note....How trashed are these carpets in general?
The amount (and type) of prespray needed/used can make a very substantial difference in dry times

..L.T.A.

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
Hum??? Then maybe check the furnace filters or chems near furnace or refrigerator drip/evaporation dishes.. check the cleaning agents of the other cleaning crew.-- maybe pesticides?
the next few we do I am going to stay at the unit until the carpet is dry and have the PM sign off. My guys can run the rest of the day. If they have a prob after that we will know that it has nothing to do with us. Pesticides is what my wife/business partner suggested, I will check on that Monday!

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
don't think you have much choice but to drop airmovers , DJ
if you want to keep 'em happy, doesn't much matter if it's your technique or some odd condition that inhibits dry times ...drop fans

side note....How trashed are these carpets in general?
The amount (and type) of prespray needed/used can make a very substantial difference in dry times

..L.T.A.
Larry, I was just about to ask could we be too aggressive with prespray??? most of them aren't that bad. I would consider them a routine clean

FredC

Village Idiot
Fred, you seem to be assuming this dude is an idiot.
Do you know him?
I'm not going to take that bait.....

I will say that he stated in his post he has a habit of leaving things wet 24+ hours.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I was just about to ask could we be too aggressive with prespray?

sure it's "possible"
I know some presprays make carpet "wetter" than others too....

how many gallons RTU prespray pr average 700sf 2 bd rm apt is used?
2 gal?
3, 4 or more?

or are you using an inline Hydrosoaker sprayer and can't accurately monitor?

Never mind, just read the other posts

..L.T.A.

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
My guess is that the apartments have zero airflow. You are cleaning a box closing the door and there isnt anywhere for the moisture to go so it dries very slowly. Turn the AC on before you leave. or leave a fan for circulation.

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
DJ - the reason I asked about the floors above ground level is because I had a similar problem last year but figured it out quickly as it was in August and had high humidity and before proceeding were able to determine that moisture was condensing on the carpet due to very old and worn(almost non existent) underlay. This was on the ground floor. I was able to find several areas in the unit we were to work in and also in the common areas. Little or no air conditioning was also a huge factor.
I used Microban in the unit and cleaned leaving air movers.
Areas of carpet that had been replaced and had new moisture barrier underlay didn't have a problem but old worn carpet/underlay did.

This may not be your problem but thought I would share.

Last edited:
Reactions: cobra

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Could the smell you notice before cleaning be the type of paint being used? One of the properties I clean uses a paint that I think stinks for some time after painting.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I would do as you already said. Put air movers out, stay there until it's dry and see if they agree with you. Their perception of dry might me psychopathicly off.
I had a customer say everyone left her carpets soaking wet for 3 days. I cleaned them and dried them with air movers. I had my son with me moving the fans around. We left when it was dry. She called back about a mysterious spot that only came out at certain times of the day (shadow). I offered to to come re clean the shadow and she said no, she didn't want the carpets wet for 3 days again. It was dry when we left.

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
Could the smell you notice before cleaning be the type of paint being used? One of the properties I clean uses a paint that I think stinks for some time after painting.
Yes that's one thing we looked at but I don't know?? doesn't smell bad upclose

Reactions: mirf

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
so we went in Saturday and recleaned with enzyme and deodorizer, left a/c fan on, 1 air mover and 1 dehu for grins and giggles.
Came in first thing this morning with pm and maintenance and it smelled good. for whatever reason their units just aren't drying, so we are dropping to 250psi and leaving air movers. everyones happy the end!!

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Good for you to keep trying. I glad you found a way to keep the PM happy. You probably have the job forever as I do Not think
very many cleaners would leave equipment and have to return to pick it up.

Reactions: Mikey P
Back
Top Bottom