Celery smell???

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
OK, here ya go.
Apartment complex we picked up last year. These are the facts
3 previous cleaners had "overwetting problems". so they adjusted something(they said it was the water). then the were dry as normal
SS Rage with 60 gal onboard water
12" wp 2" pipe/hose w/2 jets w/glide(slotted)
or 14" wp 1 1/2"pipe w/4 jets w/glide (slotted)
Citrus slam prespray
Water rinse only
water at 400psi
a/c left on good air circ
all hoses tight, lint basket/filter empty
We have had several over the last 6 months that were still wet the next day(maintenance man has cheap moisture meter). we left a dehu and 2 air movers overnight. the next day they are dry??
We cleaned a 1 bedroom that smelled like celery to me(not quite but as close as I can come). had some urine spots. went thru with hydrosensor and uv light. treated them topically, as none of the spot permeated to the pad(we pull all the carpet back to check). applied topical treatment, then regular prespray all over. wanded as usual.
2 days later they said it was still wet??? and yep it was but only on surface and just slightly damp?? Put 2 air movers in. that afternoon it was good to go and pleasant smelling. 2 days later I get the call, "it smells like urine, so we rush over. The only thing I smell is a celery like smell, don't know, but there is a smell. I don't want to lose this client because they do send us a lot and pay quickly, and they love us. They even expressed concern that we were going to quit on them!
So, HELP ME!!!!, My bro doesn't even want to go over there anymore?!!!!!!!!!

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Try leaving the fan on instead of auto.
Use a 175 with a pad to dry.

FredC

Village Idiot
I'm going to assume that this isn't part of the issue since it seems you confirmed areas were actually wet.....but have you made the maintenance man aware that dry urine spots will cause a moisture meter to go off?
Did you even check to make sure there wasn't celery lying around?

Reactions: cobra

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
I'm going to assume that this isn't part of the issue since it seems you confirmed areas were actually wet.....but have you made the maintenance man aware that dry urine spots will cause a moisture meter to go off?

No idea about the celery smell
yes we spoke about it! The smell, I may not be describing it right? its definitely not urine tho!

hogjowl

Idiot™
Spend $70 for a gallon of Microban Clean Carpet prespray. Re-clean it using it as a prespray mixed at 2oz per gallon. Trust me. This will likely solve your issue.

FredC

Village Idiot
Honestly it sounds like you guys are over wetting these places.....not taking the extra step necessary to compensate for the small blower on the rage.

What kind of hose runs are we talking here?

Marty's suggestion will likely correct your current issue...............but not prevent the next one if you are leaving carpet wet for days.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
Honestly it sounds like you guys are over wetting these places.....not taking the extra step necessary to compensate for the small blower on the rage.

What kind of hose runs are we talking here?

Marty's suggestion will likely correct your current issue...............but not prevent the next one if you are leaving carpet wet for days.
?????? small???? ok but heres the prob. We have NO probelsm anywhere else. So that makes no sense> we clean a 3 story right down the road and they dry in 3/4 hrs!

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
OK not sure what the deal is with you guys not liking the rage, but we have been running them for years with NO overwetting problems. That's not the issue, if there is nothing on the other side of the equation. That would make sense if we had multiple problems elsewhere, but that's not the case.

FredC

Village Idiot
Probably haunted by ghost that go around soaking the carpet after you leave....

but in the off chance you might be the cause consider lowering the pressure, dropping the jet size, extra dry strokes, and using fans while cleaning

edit: maybe even leaving the fans and swinging back by at the end of the day...I mean after all they send you a lot of work and pay on time

also what type of carpet?

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
?????? small???? ok but heres the prob. We have NO probelsm anywhere else. So that makes no sense> we clean a 3 story right down the road and they dry in 3/4 hrs!
Maybe the 3 story carpet is wool and only feels dry? Also maybe the apartment management is leaving windows open overnight or during damp weather-- hurting the drying process?? Maybe the apartment carpet is filther then 3 story and thus over wetting the carpet? Just do more dry passes.

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
Probably haunted by ghost that go around soaking the carpet after you leave....

but in the off chance you might be the cause consider lowering the pressure, dropping the jet size, extra dry strokes, and using fans while cleaning

edit: maybe even leaving the fans and swinging back by at the end of the day...I mean after all they send you a lot of work and pay on time

also what type of carpet?
Nylon
we have cut back to 250psi, heres the thing. Im not looking to put a bandaid on this because I cant afford to deal with this during the summer as I wont have time. This smell has been in other apartments in this one complex. they have to have something in common, I was just hoping that someone else might have run into this specific smell. we are looking at dropping jet size on one wand to use at this specific location. HERES THE REAL KICKER!!! I have smelled every inch of that carpet(literally) and it is NOT coming from carpet or pad!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
3 previous cleaners had "overwetting problems". so they adjusted something(they said it was the water). then the were dry as normal

Help me out, DJ
they've had three "previous" cleaners that had dry time issues, then "they" (who?) adjusted water?? and then were fine.

But now you have the account and your dry times (at least some of them) are problematic as well .

sump'um smells fishy..not veggie (celery)

to add to Marty's love affair with Microban Clean Carpet prespray, I'd suggest you start dropping fans on these jobs .

Are you sure the maintenance man with the moister meter isn't turning the AC off, or otherwise disrupting ventilation/air movement somehow?

..L.T.A.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Sure is a mystery.
The length of the hose run does not seem to be the issue. And yes, the carpet is taking too long to dry. However, since the issue seem to be location specific:
Are you doing there anything different than other places? Technique, wand, tech, etc.?
Did previous cleaners leave / cause a saturated pad with the normal associated issues (that may explain the smell, beside the too long drying issue)?
Does the place has water damage issues (leakage, etc.)?

FredC

Village Idiot
Nylon
we have cut back to 250psi, heres the thing. Im not looking to put a bandaid on this because I cant afford to deal with this during the summer as I wont have time. This smell has been in other apartments in this one complex. they have to have something in common, I was just hoping that someone else might have run into this specific smell. we are looking at dropping jet size on one wand to use at this specific location. HERES THE REAL KICKER!!! I have smelled every inch of that carpet(literally) and it is NOT coming from carpet or pad!

Again...no idea on the celery other than it may be your description of the smell carpet gets after being wet to long and the microbes start multiplying.

What I do know is if there is not someone coming in spraying the carpet after you leave and it is still wet 2 days later.........you did something wrong (not meant to be an attack)....

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Nylon

Hum??? Then maybe check the furnace filters or chems near furnace or refrigerator drip/evaporation dishes.. check the cleaning agents of the other cleaning crew.-- maybe pesticides?

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
DJ - you mentioned that you're having a problem on the bottom floor, are you working on floors above that?

/

Reactions: cobra

hogjowl

Idiot™
Listen dude. Don't let the fact that you bought the wrong TM side track your determination to do what you need to do to correct THIS problem. Ignore these guys and do what I said. If you don't believe me, call Jim Pemberton.

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
Help me out, DJ
they've had three "previous" cleaners that had dry time issues, then "they" (who?) adjusted water?? and then were fine.

But now you have the account and your dry times (at least some of them) are problematic as well .

sump'um smells fishy..not veggie (celery)

to add to Marty's love affair with Microban Clean Carpet prespray, I'd suggest you start dropping fans on these jobs .

Are you sure the maintenance man with the moister meter isn't turning the AC off, or otherwise disrupting ventilation/air movement somehow?

..L.T.A.
Ok now heres where I have the problem, I completely understand why everyone wants to look at the usual suspects(overwetting, jets, hose runs, etc) because that's what we did. we even switched trucks and wands, tried afternoons and weekends. Ihave been dealing with this for 6 months.
It sure would be easy if it was us, we change, problem solved. The cleaners(to clean the bathroom, kitchen etc) that come in before us lost another account across town to our cleaning division. They were our friends but since then have not spoken to us. The maintenance guy im not sure of, but sometimes ive wondered?? But I will do the logical thing and adjust my water and drop fans, and move on!:hopeless::hopeless::rockon::clap:

FredC

Village Idiot
geez Marty...I said your suggestion would fix his current issue

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
Listen dude. Don't let the fact that you bought the wrong TM side track your determination to do what you need to do to correct THIS problem. Ignore these guys and do what I said. If you don't believe me, call Jim Pemberton.
LOL thanks Marty

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Does it correct "wet for days" dry times the maint man is calling him back out for??

i know he asked about the smell, but sounds like he other issues too

..L.T.A.

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
yes 2 floors at this complex some have been on second floor

FredC

Village Idiot
Wet carpet smell is what this product was made for. It works. You can save the world after he fixes this issue.

So he presprays with it........rinses it out.......leaves carpet wet for a few more days........

What happens?

Back
Top Bottom