Carpet cleaners profit shrinking pie

harryhides

Name
Tony
Unless you're an owner operator you will soon learn that labour then government are by far your largest expense and over the last thirty years I have noticed that each year they both cost more but produce less.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I ran businesses for years and labor and product were my highest expenses. Now labor included all payroll taxes and insurance and benefits so employees cost me "35%" of the pie and product cost me about 40% and the rst about 15% leaving 8-10% for me. Being an owner operator really changes the chart

Fon Johnson

Some say you get what you pay for. Sure, there are exceptions. One must discern if a more expensive product will save enough in other areas to pay for itself. Whether a specific "product" will pay off or not probably depends on your business model. A vortex may not be a good value for a 45 truck fleet sent out with employees, but it may be a perfect match for an owner operator who uses a helper to dual want. Maybe the IICRC does have their hand out, but what you get (if rememberd and applied) will far exceed what you pay. Sometimes you luck out and get something cheap that works really well. I have found over time that the best chemicals are not the cheapest. I have had simple jobs turn into all night nightmares because of "cheap" inadequate chemicals. The extra $20 per gallon pays for itself it that one gallon can save me 15 minutes in labor.

A $10,000 mentorship may be the ticket, or you may be lucky enough to get someone to help you for free. There again, some say you get what you pay for. Getting Dave Rampage to mentor you as an owner operator may be worth thousands, however (even for free) it may be of little value to someone running 30 trucks. The bottom line is to know where you are going, how you are getting there, and knowing your percentages. One man's medicine is another man's poison. I don't know if a vortex will fit my 5 year plan, but it might fit yours. You might have a niche with a OP machine whereas mine might be with a truckmount. Both can make customers happy and put money in your pocket.

The CRI seems to be the one equalizer (to a point.) There is no need to worry. Studies show that 90%+ of what we worry about never comes to pass. This does not mean that one should not be proactive and prepare for change, or raise their voice and bring about change. Even if it comes to pass as it is, will it really be a concern? How often do any of us deal with warranty issues now anyway? Is this all of a sudden going to change?

I suppose some of us do have a job, but that is a decision we make. You can have a job, or you can run a business. Once again, that brings us back to your individual business model, and what your long term plans and goals are. Once you set those, you can either put things into motion to see them come to fruition, or you can sit by idle and see if they happen on their own. Good luck with the latter of the two.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Great post Fon. How's TN?

Anyway... If your profits are shrinking perhaps because you are spending too much. Cut back on the frills & bla bla bla for a while & see if it helps.

G

Jeremy said:
Great post Fon. How's TN?

Anyway... If your profits are shrinking perhaps because you are spending too much. Cut back on the frills & bla bla bla for a while & see if it helps.

Dang I actually will skip golf today and go work in the field to get some of my pie back! :D

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Money to IICRC.
Money to overpriced truck-mounts.
Money to overpriced chemicals.
Money to overpriced advertisers.
Money to self labeled business mentors.
Money to insurance for all gadgets/trucks/liability.
Money to taxes for all equipment.
Money lost to competitive ads.
Money for parts for poor engineered tm's.
I'm sure I missed some so add a few. But I do know this, there ain't much left over for your sorry as# sucker. Guess what, you gotta JOB!

Carpet cleaners are the hamster in the wheel, lol.

We don't participate in some of the above, get good value for the others and end up with a heck of a lot left over to fuel our growth.

Ken

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom