Can a business say...

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
There's a big difference in marketing if a company claims to be # 1, or if they're voted to be # 1 by a respected and known organization (etc).

The first is bragging and is worthless. If anything it will diminish not build a company's status. Who likes to hire a company with an inflated ego?
The second may help. Assuming it is legit, unless of course one found out how much they paid for it.

I'm the best carpet cleaner in the world (after Richard Chavez and Michael Lockhart).

Wow, this is like spelling Noah with seven mistakes.
Three false claims in one sentence. It must be an MB record :winky:.

Last edited:

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
REALLY.

You take your self to seriously. This is a totally unregulated industry.

You can say what you want. We re number one. The city's best. The areas largest. The Gold standard. Top of the line.

It is called branding and advertising. Like a friend told me 20 years ago when I was learning to sell you can make the numbers say anything you want.

The real question is what can your customer discover or prove? How will your statement make you look in front of your client?

If you are going to run a host system you had better be ready to either keep your comments to business only or grow some thick skin. Most of the experienced guys have long figured out what you have yet to discover.

This is coming from a guy who started with a Bane and has moved on. I remember the first job we took our new 4.8CDS to WOW!

Last edited:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
From a marketing aspect a company should Never say they are #1 or the best. These are throw away statements and will have no value to your prospects. Instead say why you are different from the pack. Be very brief yet be specific.

Dmreed4311

Supportive Member
Name
David Reed
REALLY.

You take your self to seriously. This is a totally unregulated industry.

You can say what you want. We re number one. The city's best. The areas largest. The Gold standard. Top of the line.

It is called branding and advertising. Like a friend told me 20 years ago when I was learning to sell you can make the numbers say anything you want.

The real question is what can your customer discover or prove? How will your statement make you look in front of your client?

If you are going to run a host system you had better be ready to either keep your comments to business only or grow some thick skin. Most of the experienced guys have long figured out what you have yet to discover.

This is coming from a guy who started with a Bane and has moved on. I remember the first job we took our new 4.8CDS to WOW!
That hits home, I started out like you using HOST, hell I went to their week long class in Racine Wi. In the early 90's I thought Host was the only way to clean carpet. Now the thought of cleaning and distorting carpet with HOST makes my skin crawl. The first job I cleaned with my Truck mount made me want to kick myself in the ass for wasting two years on HOST. Do yourself a favor and move on, what does a box of sponge cost these days? 70 bucks? hard to be profitable with that monkey on your back.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Thanks for the answers on the question of someone putting #1 in their advertisements. Not looking to go after them, etc. Was just interested if they can do this. As Tom mentioned, it is a unregulated industry pretty much and it is how you brand yourself. Better be able to prove your #1 with your cleaning results.

In regards to the HOST cost/profit question..

30lb drum cost $74. We use 2 of these drums for 3-4 days worth of work. = 148. We also use Encap O2 and a case of that (4 gallons) will also last the same time with a price of $118.

Approx $260 to turn a little more than $3,000 in Revenue from those chemicals. (This is per truck, we now have added our second truck so times 2 on this). How much do you spend on chemicals for HWE? (Serious question, because I have no idea how much an HWE cleaner is spending on products). Also, we don't have high costs for machine fixes, etc. so profit isn't our problem nor high quality results or customer satisfaction so we have decided to stay with this method and brand our selves that way. Just as everyone has to brand their business as being the "Stanley Steemers of Kansas City or The next best thing after Stanley."

I'm sure your right that you can bust through more homes in a day with HWE, I don't doubt it. I'm not asking to get bashed for our company's processes, etc.. Thick skin? Not a problem - you have to have that to deal with some of these different types of customers. I didn't think I would have to use it on this board then when asking a simple question is point. Especially on almost every post that has to deal with a question I have in regards to business. If I was posting in "Clean Room Forum" about HOST is the best, than argue with me about it. But come on. Everyone has to start some where in business, so maybe instead of bashing someone that isn't even in your service area or competing with you... Thanks for the responses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You're right we shouldn't bust on you for using that system but I don't believe its done to hurt your feelings as much as it is there other systems that will be more productive for you while still delivering a high level of appearance.

Its always difficult to see others put a lot of effort trying to do a good job with a system that is slower and more expensive to use.

HWE cost of chems would be very minimal in fact of little concern compared to labor. Time spent producing clean carpet should be your biggest concern.

Do yourself a favor, when things slower down investigate the other methods and try to keep an open mind. If nothing else you'll better know what the competitors are doing.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Thanks for the answers on the question of someone putting #1 in their advertisements. Not looking to go after them, etc. Was just interested if they can do this. As Tom mentioned, it is a unregulated industry pretty much and it is how you brand yourself. Better be able to prove your #1 with your cleaning results.

In regards to the HOST cost/profit question..

30lb drum cost $74. We use 2 of these drums for 3-4 days worth of work. = 148. We also use Encap O2 and a case of that (4 gallons) will also last the same time with a price of $118.

Approx $260 to turn a little more than $3,000 in Revenue from those chemicals. (This is per truck, we now have added our second truck so times 2 on this). How much do you spend on chemicals for HWE? (Serious question, because I have no idea how much an HWE cleaner is spending on products). Also, we don't have high costs for machine fixes, etc. so profit isn't our problem nor high quality results or customer satisfaction so we have decided to stay with this method and brand our selves that way. Just as everyone has to brand their business as being the "Stanley Steemers of Kansas City or The next best thing after Stanley."

I'm sure your right that you can bust through more homes in a day with HWE, I don't doubt it. I'm not asking to get bashed for our company's processes, etc.. Thick skin? Not a problem - you have to have that to deal with some of these different types of customers. I didn't think I would have to use it on this board then when asking a simple question is point. Especially on almost every post that has to deal with a question I have in regards to business. If I was posting in "Clean Room Forum" about HOST is the best, than argue with me about it. But come on. Everyone has to start some where in business, so maybe instead of bashing someone that isn't even in your service area or competing with you... Thanks for the responses.

I run about $230 for 6 months for prespray.. I like to boost with other chemicals,but I would say in 6 months I'm am at around $300 maybe $350...

Reactions: tmdry and WillS

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
What an interesting thread. Matter of fact I have opinions on it from both the original subject and the host bashing.

First yes a company can say they are number one and unless challenged can continue to say it. The problem is that customers are imune to blanket statetments without supporting evidence. An example would be ford trucks, they don't say they are the best trucks they say jd power named them the best value or such, they don't say contractors like their trucks they say on job sites you will find their truck more than any other. In my opinion a marketing statement without supporting are wasted words.

We actually claim on marketing pieces that we are the number one rated company on yelp and google.. . This is tricky, there are companies that have one 5 star review that technically have a perfect 5 star rating and we don't, however we have been rated more times than other companies.

On to host cleaning. First I have no problem with the host system. It has a niche in the industry and you are getting carpets clean. Just because you use a truckmount or any other system doesn't guarantee you would do a better job. I think that host actually can do a good job cleaning carpets but I think the host machine itself is extremely slow. Don't let these guys bust your balls to bad, it would be akin to joining a dodge truck forum and asking questions about your chevy truck. I find it very interesting how passionate they are about their truckmounts but a good percentage of them are ok with encap cleaning commercial carpets.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I find it very interesting how passionate they are about their truckmounts but a good percentage of them are ok with encap cleaning commercial carpets.

Cleaning?
Encap is not cleaning. It's the art of carefully gluing the dirt to the bottom of the carpet..................

Last edited:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Ultimately your brand is defined by your actions and not what clever marketing messages we come up with.

Customers real life experience with your business is how they will think of you.

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
If the company is a BBB member the will be called out to prove it. I have advertised as our cities "favorite carpet cleaner" had BBB rep ask me to prove it or get the claim off our website and ad material lol. Too bad my non member BBB competitors get to claim whatever they want lol. We usually comply with the BBB request, at least till they stop looking.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Hell I say it in my website we are the number 1 online rated cleaners in our area! and thats the facts jack!

more 5 star review then you can shake a stick at 1 to 2 hour dry times

and also a get a couple of heavens best customers and another shake and shine company where the re soil factor is really high.

at least thats what customer tell me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom