Bounced checks

Becker

Name
Becker
I'd say over 75% of all jobs are paid by check, 20% credit card and about 5% cash.

I get very few checks back.. Very few!

I had yet to get a bad check for all of 2007 so far, that was until I got home from connections.

2 off the last deposit before leaving town.

1st was from a new client. The check even included a $10 tip, wow won't she be jacked when she has to pay my $25 return check charge. Even more so if the check failed to clear because of the tip she included.

2nd from a long time repeat client. Who knows?

I'll still take checks, happens so rarely.

Don't things come in 3s?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I still don't accept CC so probably 97% checks. I just had a NSF check this past week. Only the second one in the past 7 years. It had been so long it took me a while to figure out how treat it in Quick Books. I already received a new check(Cashier's Check) from the customer. I believe it was just an honest mistake so I just past on the $5 bank fee.

bubba

Get ready for a long read...

I don't take a lot of checks. I have a real low price so customers are pretty happy to do what I ask. I tell them I take CASH only and if they don't like that, a money order made out to the company from Quik Trip is fine. Quik Trip is everywhere in Tulsa. I will only accept Quik Trip money orders. I go in, inspect the home, go over the price with the customer, explain to them that I do not take checks, but if they do not have the cash, I will take their check and there is an additional $25.00 fee for taking their check. (hence I already told them cash or money order only) In the event that the check bounces... I charge a return check fee of $1000.00. It's in the contract they sign and agree to.

Some people think it's excessive but I go and perform the services, then people don't care to make sure the check pays. I'm actually charged $20.00 by my credit union for each check that comes back. The reason I have my contract is because a few customers would leave and never come back... I don't like to collect first as I want the customer to be happy..(but if it's a rental home and they are moving out, if they go to leave I require payment. IF they say no, I literally stop what I'm doing and leave). A lot of the houses I clean are empty rental homes. So people don't have the money to pay me and they are trying to get their deposit back...some have told me they need a receipt to go get money from the ATM... nice try but no. So the contract also goes into collections. In the event I am not paid, my hourly fee to collect is $150.00 per hour. The customer agrees to pay all lien fees, court costs and attorney fees.

I've only had to enforce the lien thing four times and I was paid every time when they went to close on their house. I would file the lien with a copy of the contract they signed. On the check thing, I've only enforced it once. The woman I cleaned for put a stop payment on the check and told me she decided to have the carpet replaced because she did not like the color of it. I told her it had nothing to do with me and the carpet was clean. (3500 SF of carpet btw) So long story short... I did sue her...and I won. The check amount was $450.00.... The return check fee was $1000.00 , Lien fee was $30.00, attorney fee was $450.00 and court costs were about $150.00. Total for bad check... about $2080.00. The judge said because I had a contract which she signed, the return check fee was legit.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
That is an interesting read. There are laws governing "returned check" fees. You CAN NOT sign away your rights in a contract, so regardless of what it says, 1000.00 is bit absurd. I charge 30.00 check charge, plus interest.

I get about 2-3 bad checks a year. I have recovered all of them 100%.

bubba

I agree $1000.00 is high. If it's an honest mistake, I'm not going to hold someone to it or it someone died or something like that. People will think twice though before writing a bad check.

-JB-

Name
JB
WOW!

bubba, you musta gotten pretty badly burned to set that up, huh?

man, i thought i was a hard ass! :lol:

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
JB said:
WOW!

bubba, you musta gotten pretty badly burned to set that up, huh?

man, i thought i was a hard ass! :lol:

The thing is, every state has a law governing this. But, he claims to have won "1000.00" check return fee? I've been to small claims many times, very few judges rule in favor of "damages" in seeking your money.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom