Bidding an independant movie theater advice

We have a small quad in the area, all the rooms seat 80-110 viewers. They asked me to quote the entire property for a "deep cleaning" and then a "monthly touch up". My guess is a theater would be trashed in 2 weeks. Imagine how much soda must be in the carpet. Seems their current contractor raised his rates and they are seeking a new contractor.
I figure low moisture is simply out of the question in this situation. I figure they need a "deep cleaning" because it is a wreck. I have a 9:30 appointment on Wednesday to inspect it and measure it.
It is my intent to bid on the "deep cleaning" at a 50% premium over "monthly touch up". I will propose a deep cleaning quarterly. I don't know if I should also include a bi-weekly touch up rate. My guess is these people are looking for the super cheap price and really don't care how clean the place is.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You operate with a portable don't you? If so I'd consider passing on this one. It might be too soiled to get any good production with a portable.

If you own a TM then I'd hit it the first time with the TM and use encap after that. I think you'll find monthly will be fine as maintenance and may only need to steam it once a year.

Reactions: Russ T.
Yeah I am a porty hack. I have heat. I have dual 3 stages and 500 psi.
How is the Cimex going to liquify spilled soda that has dried up. When I think Cimex or any other bonnet cleaning system, I think we are cleaning perhaps 50% of the pile depth at best.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Dam peter, you're a masochist.
These are some of the hardest jobs, mix in some gravy once in a while.

Read the thread below about Tom King and dentists, please these guys can still save your soul.

Reactions: Mikey P

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yeah I am a porty hack. I have heat. I have dual 3 stages and 500 psi.
How is the Cimex going to liquify spilled soda that has dried up. When I think Cimex or any other bonnet cleaning system, I think we are cleaning perhaps 50% of the pile depth at best.
Its not that you can't do it with the porty but it will be taxing plus the bids are competitive and you'll be competing against TM's that have faster production ability.

Yes the Cimex can do wonders on soda spills, amazingly it does even better on those type spills than HWE.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Id pad cap before fighting a porty on it Pete.

You can do it, you can do anything ya want. We jus tryin to help ya get outta there before tomorrows matinée starts buddy : )

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
We have a small quad in the area, all the rooms seat 80-110 viewers. They asked me to quote the entire property for a "deep cleaning" and then a "monthly touch up". My guess is a theater would be trashed in 2 weeks. Imagine how much soda must be in the carpet. Seems their current contractor raised his rates and they are seeking a new contractor.

Keep in mind theaters usually have to be done super early in the morning or very late at night. Some theaters have a high turn over of employees(even independently owned ones), especially managers. Every new manager wants to be a hero and keep their bosses happy with a nicely balanced expense report, especially any time they can show they saved more money than the last manager. Its a job security thing - they have to show that they're maintaining it to the powers that be, but most only care about looking good on their expense report.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We do one small one, 8-theaters. We start at 7:00 and are done by 11:00, running (5) Cimex's.

It gives plenty of dry time before the matinee show.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Seems their current contractor raised his rates and they are seeking a new contractor.

1. Usually (though not always), if previous contractor raised their rates, it means that they could not make a decent profit with what they were being paid.
  2. Job is a pain in the...
  3. And it clearly shows you that they're not a very loyal customer.

How hungry are you?

I called to see how the bid went over. I bid 25¢ per sf for HWE and 18¢ for bonnet. First one had to be HWE. There are spots that will always require HWE. This was going to start after the theater closed and probably run all night long. The first room is done about 10pm and they start it back at 1pm the next day. The other three are done 11-11:30 and start back at 2pm the next day. Friday/Saturday they go a bit later. Saturday/Sunday they start about an hour earlier.
They told me I was "way too high" and somebody bid 15¢ per sf. For that chump change, better them than me. That has been an ongoing problem for me, my commercial work has been under bid by 30-40% every time. I feel I am so low, I couldn't even drop my rates 10% and make a fair amount. I refuse to work for $8-9 per hour, though somebody around here is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Lots of that kind of stuff goes for under .10.

The rate isn't as important when your production rate can make up for the sq/ft price. If you can at 1,500sq/ft an hour can you make decent money at .10-12? The key is having the tools/machines/TM to allow you to clean at the 1500-2000sq/ft range.

Then your price can be more competitive and yet still make decent money.The bucket brigade limits productivity of a portable but with a helper you can speed it up some.

I'd look and see if you can rent or borrow a Cimex and see what you think about the results. If you think you can sell that type of cleaning then look at purchasing one.

A TM would be nice but I do believe you can get by for a while with your portable and a Cimex, cleaning commercial carpet.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryankettering

Name
Ryan Kettering
hmm. I have not tried it (or heard of it) I just did a google search and didn't see anything. Do you have a link or what website might sell it? Right now Right now I use either the orange gel, pig, or both. Works fine on one or two, but it would be nice to have something that works even better for when there are multiple ones. thanks for your help!

Rogerjr

Name
Roger
Ok I'm new with this but with commercial I've heard a tm or porty would leave more wicking? I've heard that a Cimex is the way to go with commercial, so if you did need to hwe first would you then go back over with the Cimex or ? Educate me guy's

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
This type of work is so cut throat. I'd go in and bid with the intention that I'd ONLY be using the Cimex (and a thorough prevacuum). You will be amazed how much ground you can cover when you get the hang of it. The results will shock you to. Oh, did I mention the fast dry times....Cimex is THE way to go in many commercial situations.

The Clean Machine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom