Apartment vs. House Pricing

lesterj2

I am currently in the process of coming up with a new flyer/brochure..
To make a long story short:

I plan on chargin a flat rate for the 1st room..
And for HOMES add x amount of dollars...
And for APTS. add x amount of dollars...

but having the APTS. at a lower price...

Is that to much out of the ordinary and would you think that would run off potential home jobs...

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
lesterj2 said:

Is that to much out of the ordinary and would you think that would run off potential home jobs...

nothing wrong with that, Lester
..as long as you have a size limit on what you call a "room".
Some family rooms/great rooms and some finished basements can be one very large HUGE room

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
lesterj2 said:

oh, now I get it..

don't use the same flier for resi and apts if the pricing is different
Target them separate with separate fliers

..L.T.A.

lesterj2

ok that would be an option...
but when im passing them out at the gas station while pumping gas and so on...
i would be back at square 1... how would i know a person owning a home from apartment...

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
lesterj2 said:
... how would i know a person owning a home from apartment...

you won't, but you do know they must live "somewhere"
So handing out stuff at the Mohamed's Quicky Fuel n' Brewthru will be a targeting a resi market.

If you want apts, you go see the apt manager or property management Co's and introduce yourself with something of value to offer them

if you want to put "empty room" rates at a different charge, that would be better than mentioning $X for res and $Y for apts

..L.T.A.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I never tried this but I would just call the number on the for rent sign and give them a half off deal and dazzle the hell out of them.

For me I price them as follows:
APT. 1 BR and living room(or min.)-- $65.00
2BR " "--$90.00
3 BR " "--$110.00
(living/dining rooms are considered 2 rooms)

Normal house pricing 200sq. ft. room size limit
2 rooms and hall(70.00 min)--- $80.00
3 rooms and hall---------------$105.00
4 rooms and hall---------------$130.00

For apts if you can get the master keys to the buildings it's a pretty sweet deal when someone reschedules on you. I wouldn't put my apt pricing on my flyers, but when they call and say it's an apt. let them know of the different pricing for empties...

Flyers are great!! The more professional they look the better. The last one Wayne Miller did for me is doing awesome!! Here it is:
flyer_tater.jpg

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Residential and occupied apartments are the same pricing structure. A vacant apartment is something else. Sounds like your going to charge differently for the first two. Am I wrong?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Shane T said:
Residential and occupied apartments are the same pricing structure. A vacant apartment is something else.

I would agree with that...That's why I don't like doing empty apts.

Square Footage all the way...keep your prices for the nastys and maybe give a discount if it's not too bad.

Not everybody, but room pricing is for the bait and switchers IMO.
People who call wanting room prices are just Price Shoppers.

I know a guy who does room pricing....he charges extra for "Soil Release"....are you kidding me?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Why charge less for apartments than houses? Access and hook-up is almost always a hassle at apartments and there's the increased liability from other tenents tripping over miles of hoses.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
What do you gain by charging less for apartments?

I dont' get many but I had three apartment calls back in June.

The first one called about 10:15am Tuesday morning to let me know they couldn't make their 9am Tuesday morning appointment.....at least they called.

When the first one no-showed I drove over to scope out the second one. She called Monday afternoon looking for same day service. Knowing the first apartment was likely gonna be a no-show (renters who accept a phone quote of $250 or so typically don't show) I told her I might be able to squeeze her in Tuesday morning. When I drove into the parking lot the first thing I see about 400 feet from the door are these little white signs that read "Visitor Parking." When I drove by the front of the building I see a secured, central door into a lobby that sprouts halls running another 150 feet or so back towards, and away from, the assigned parking. All this for a LR/DR combo?

The third one called about noon-time on a Saturday, again, for same day service. "We've got company coming." The response to my impromptu ball-park phone estimate was, of course, it isn't "that bad," isn't "that big," and shouldn't cost "that much." I offered to stop by after my afternoon appointment and take a look. They were right, it wasn't "that bad," it was that much worse than "that bad." It was probably three times "that big." And, it was gonna be so much more than their opinion of "that much" I gracefully bowed out and went home to enjoy a nice cold adult beverage instead.

When I was new I'd take whatever I could get. I guess it's something everybody needs to go through to appreciate the good jobs. Do what you need to do but I can't imagine charging less for apartments.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
you're getting long winded in your old age, Wayne.... :lol:

Wayne Miller said:

maybe Lester could clarify whether he means tenant occupied/paid or empty apts...

If occupied tenant pay, Lester, charge the same as any residential.

If empty, you can charge less cause you can do them quicker with much less hassle.
If tenant is paying for an empty they moved out of as part of their lease agreement...get "cash" for the job....

..L.T.A.

Wayne Miller said:

I dont' get many but I had three apartment calls back in June.

The first one called about 10:15am Tuesday morning to let me know they couldn't make their 9am Tuesday morning appointment.....at least they called.

When the first one no-showed I drove over to scope out the second one. She called Monday afternoon looking for same day service. Knowing the first apartment was likely gonna be a no-show (renters who accept a phone quote of $250 or so typically don't show) I told her I might be able to squeeze her in Tuesday morning. When I drove into the parking lot the first thing I see about 400 feet from the door are these little white signs that read "Visitor Parking." When I drove by the front of the building I see a secured, central door into a lobby that sprouts halls running another 150 feet or so back towards, and away from, the assigned parking. All this for a LR/DR combo?

All of this could have been prevented if you required them to pay a 25 or 50 dollar deposit with a credit card over the phone. What are your thoughts on that anyway? If a customer really wants to schedule they should have no problem paying a deposit. You could actually go ahead and get your minimum charge.

The third one called about noon-time on a Saturday, again, for same day service. "We've got company coming." The response to my impromptu ball-park phone estimate was, of course, it isn't "that bad," isn't "that big," and shouldn't cost "that much." I offered to stop by after my afternoon appointment and take a look. They were right, it wasn't "that bad," it was that much worse than "that bad." It was probably three times "that big." And, it was gonna be so much more than their opinion of "that much" I gracefully bowed out and went home to enjoy a nice cold adult beverage instead.

When I was new I'd take whatever I could get. I guess it's something everybody needs to go through to appreciate the good jobs. Do what you need to do but I can't imagine charging less for apartments.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
"All of this could have been prevented if you required them to pay a 25 or 50 dollar deposit with a credit card over the phone. What are your thoughts on that anyway?"

If we do one or two apartments a year it's a lot. In seventeen years we've had maybe a half-dozen no-shows. I'd rather refer every apartment job to another cleaner. For me, between the steps and the parking and the cramped quarters and the thin budgets, they usually ain't worth it.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
Great thread Lester.. thanks.. I agree with most who have commented here: Whether it's an apartment or resi house: same price; if it's empty a bit less. And if it a Property management company maybe a little less depending on how much work they give.

I think it's a great idea.. sometimes people just want to know the bottom line.. how much do you charge.. you're flyer will tell them.. Make sure you have an end date on your flyer,. see a lot of guys mention that's important but I'm on the fence about that one.. urgency schmergency people are either ready to clean their carpets or not. Car dealers are always advertising "final blow out sale, we'll never be able to offer these discounts or trade in values again.. 2 weeks later... same shit all over again. You get numb to it after a while.

Although handing out flyers at a gas station doesn't strike me as being the best place but if it works for you more power to you. If someone handed me one while I was pumping gas.. it would go right in the trash can when I hang the nozzle back on the pump. It just doens't strike me as the best place to drum up potential business... strip joint maybe.. gas station, forgettaboutit :mrgreen: Seriously though.. drop them off at daycares, hair&nail solons, Curves, Vet hospitals or animal shelters. I'd try to target women first, families second and couples or families with pet next. Get friendly with a P&C insurance rep or two.. I did and it's starting to pay some dividends. I've been networking a bit with 1 agent I've know causally for a while. I've been pleasantly persistant for about 6 months...she finally asked me to clean her office last weekend. She left me a long message about how amazed she was when she walked in on Monday morning she going to refer me to all of her homeowner clients.. and she wants me to clean her house next. Thank you Jesus!!! Sorry about that to all the athiests in the bunch :twisted:

meAt said:
If tenant is paying for an empty they moved out of as part of their lease agreement...get "cash" for the job....
That's a great suggestion Larry, I'm lucky so far I haven't rec'd a bad check but I'm sure I would have.. cash only from here on out.

Brian Robison said:
People who call wanting room prices are just Price Shoppers.
Amen Brother Brian.. Those crackers are just looking to trick you into showing up and then hoping you don't have the yams to leave because you've already made the trip, or hungry enough for the work that you'll do it.

meAt said:
Some family rooms/great rooms and some finished basements can be one very large HUGE room
Though when you play their game, they are the type of folks who'll get pissed when you turn the tables and tell them the walk in closet or hallway is considered a room. Don't fall for the room pricing trap... square footage.. simple, easy, no confusion or playing games..

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
If I get any apt or 1 roomers who want "the best price" I am lately just giving the job to some of my techs. Bonus? Maybe.
I tell the custy "I am just going to let the tech do it for himself an I will have him call you."

This way the work is off my shoulders, the job will be done right and the tech will make at least some money.
The custy is usually ok with this because they are thinking they have an inside deal or whatever.

Win Win Win...untill the priceshopper starts complaining for no reason...but they can't call me back...well they can but I just tell them it was so-n-so's job.

No problems as of yet.

Name
I'm Rick James
lesterj2 said:

If I might suggest something Lester that has been working well for me lately. I did a bunch of different approaches to getting new clients with flyers and other stuff. Didnt really have much luck as far as a return. I was talking to Becker and he mentioned I should sell myself. Let them **know** who you are.

So I had my person designed a flyer and went with it. I charge per room and use a TM. My phone just lit up. Because threw my ad people felt like they could trust me and knew me. Trust and fear is the big thing people have to get over when choosing a company. Here is some text i went with and HAS paid off.

First my website... NwGoGreenServices.com There is only one page but it is being expanded as we speak, it may have more pages when you look.

Lester if you PM me I can send you the flyer I use and I can also send you the new designed flyer that should be ready in the next few days. It worked for me.

Here is the general flyer content:

Who Is Go Green?

We understand what you're looking for in a cleaning company. You want reliable, on-time service. A company that is friendly and trustworthy. You want a company that will be there for you when you need them and can rely on them to be there in a hurry. We also understand the importance of using eco-friendly cleaning products and methods. We want to do our part in keeping our earth clean and healthy for you and your family.

Personal Message From The Owner:

Hello my name is Brent Dill. I have been cleaning for over 10 year, recieved 5 certifications and have succesfully cleaned thousands of locally owned homes and businesses. I am the father of 2 girls and 1 boy. We all live in the South Snohomish County and my oldest daughter just started kindergarten this year in the Mukilteo School District. I am apart of their schools PTA and due to overcrowding and budget cuts help the teachers with weekly classroom activities. We are a family owned and operated that offers a great service for a great price. My goal is to do the best job possible and offer the best customer service around. We hope to see you soon!!!! Our Research and Development has spent money and time to get the best cleaning products that are made. All Safe and non-toxic, so no worries with your kids and pets.

Call soon to get your desired time slot, some appointments open this week.

What To Expect From Our Services:

First understand we ONLY clean in accordance of Carpet Manufacturer, IICRC and E.P.A recommendations so you are Guaranteed the best cleaning available.

1. Free consultation. We spend the time going over your cleaning concerns & needs, finding troubled areas that need extra attention and discussing ways to help maintain your carpets.

2. Proper safety for your home and family everytime.

3 We prevacuum all Carpets & Upholstery. This removes 80% off the dry soil. WITHOUT this step your carpets will not be properly cleaned.

4. We pretreat all Carpet, Uph and Area Rugs with our Safe Non-Toxic "GREEN" cleaning products (we focus on all stains and troubled areas).

5. We use a powerful van mounted cleaning unit that Carpet Manufacturer and EPA recommend. (steam cleaning).

6. We reapply the factory protective coating to keep your carpets cleaner and lasting longer (optional).

7. We groom all Carpet, Uph & Area Rugs to properly apply protector, give a uniform look and help dry the fibers.

8. We use powerful air mover along with powerful equipment to dry your carpets.

9. Finally, we get your final approval, we want you to be 100 % happy and satisfied with all aspects of our service.

To save you TIME and MONEY here are some question when looking for a quality cleaning companys.

1. Are they Licensed & Insured?
2. Do they follow proper IICRC regulations? Prevacuum, Pretreat, TRUCKMOUNTED cleaning unit, Proper Protector Application, groom and quick dry times
3. Are they certified? Anyone can start a cleaning business, but it is very important not to waste your time and money on a company that does substandard work.
4. Do they offer a Guarantee? We offer a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Our Guarantee protects you weeks and months after cleaning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom