Yellow Page Ads

diamond brian

Our ads have always been straight, to the point, without the warm fuzzies. Thinking of changing it up this year.

Maybe a warm fuzzy stock photo or something to get women's' attention.

I know what the college marketing books say, but I'm open to real-world application.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
YP

Brian,
I think the hardest thing for men to understand is that we are not our market. We like to think of ourselves as logical, left brained thinking guys, which we are. Women tend to be better balanced between the 2 hemispheres and tend to look at the big picture taking in all details with all of their senses.

This doesn't mean that women are all emotional and men are Spock devotees. The simplest way to look at it is that the right brain is the picture while the left brain is the thousand words. We know that most of our customers will not read the thousand words but they will look at the picture.

The limbic system is the part of our brain that controls emotions and decides whether or not any information gets distributed to the rest of the brain.

You may have heard the saying "we buy on emotion and we justify with logic"

If marketing is to be effective it must be emotional. For people to take action, they have to care. In other words a picture of your truck does not make people care. Feelings inspire people to act.

We make people care by appealing to things that matter to them. We create empathy for specific individuals or ideas.

This is why a picture of your child, grandchild, puppy stops the woman who is looking through the Yellow Pages. Once you have her attention now you have to close the deal through good copy , a guarantee and testimonials with an offer that says why she should do it now.

Emotions get you the job and your cleaning skills and people skills justify the logic of why you.

So this was a long way of saying that yes you need a warm fuzzy.

diamond brian

Thanks, Bill. I want to change our ad (meeting with the YP rep next Tuesday).

If anyone has good ad copy they don't mind sharing, I'd love to see it and possibly use it--with permission, of course.

danpauselius

A local car dealership has grown into a 7 store mega-dealer in the last 10 years using the line "Expect Miracles". They guarantee EVERYTHING! If you own a work truck, you get first priority. If any part of your service experience isn't perfect, it's free. So on and so on. These guys are now huge and must be rather profitable.

If I were not in their market, I'd steal their line and use it. Might be good for you depending on your tolerance for risk, LOL.

diamond brian

Expect Miracles doesn't sound half-bad Dan. I have a competitor using "Expect Mildew" though. Too similar?

I'm thinking more along the lines of a cute baby playing on the carpet with dust-mites magnified 500x crawling all over the place.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Wayne Miller did this one for me, I wanted to use a baby but I was afraid of what Lisa might do to me!

This is more my kind of baby anyway! :wink:

Call Wayne he will take care of you.

chavez_11-07_YP.jpg

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
With all UNDUE respect, Richard:

It looks a bit cluttered to me. However, at the risk of ticking off Lisa I will timidly say I like the overall message.

Steve

PS I don't view myself on the same marketing plane as our SFS advertising guru and Guiness imbiber, Big Billy Yeadon. Just a old, has-been carpet cleaner who knows what he likes.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's not Wayne's fault, I made him put too much in there! :lol:

Too many services and too little room. :oops:

It looked better when it was a quarter page ad but we are spending those dollars else where now.

NO Respect? I'm feeling like Rodney! :lol:

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
We started here,

rc1.jpg

and went to this,

rc2.jpg

then this,

rc3.jpg

to this,

rc4.jpg

to finally, I hope, to this,

rc5.jpg

You don't suppose Richard is just messing with me? lol

Name
Ron lippold
Wayne

Im using marissa c 4 1/2 year old sippy cup user in my yp ad along with Try the big truck and a picture of it and a list of services with DRY IN MINUTES and it has out produced last years ads thanks for the cd

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL

Just listening to everyone that says I'm wasting my ad dollars in the Yellow Pages.

I guess a 3/4 page worth of information doesn't fit in a dollar bill! :lol: Just trying to have it both ways. :oops:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom