Why was my dry time so bad?

G

i had to go back to a customers house today i did the carpet 2 weeks ago i asked her how did it dry she said the down stairs berber dryed overnight and the 4 bedrooms and the hall and the stairs upstairs which is cut pile took a day and a half. now this is after i have just put the greenie glide on, got a new relief valve on got the vacum up to 12 and a half, cool cuffs on and i do dry strokes. this puzzling me because ive had people tell me there carpet seems dry when i do the now . i even got rid of the lead hose i go right from the 2 inch vacum to the wand , i mean the wand is literally screaming now and i can tell i got more vacum , could it be a fluke or is it because i used 450 psi :?: scott

Rex Tyus

Re: drying times

If I had to guess I would say humidity of the day and a lack of air flow in the rooms of concern.. Does she have a/c? If I remember right the Syracuse area gets about 2 weeks of summer. High humidity and all. But it could be any number of variables.

John Watson

Scott, I upped my pressure to 600PSI and run a full 2 inch with holed greenglide into the filter where it exits to a 2 1/2 10 ft to the tank. Depending on how soiled the carpets were before starting we still tell them 24 hrs, but many have told us that it felt dry with in 6 hrs

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs

Is there a chance your filter was too full for that particular job? If so it could drastically reduce the performance compared to normal. I have found that somtimes it happens so slowly that I may not realize it till it quite bad.

TimP

How are your jets angled into the carpet. What kind of glide is it? Slot glides aren't known for their quick drying. Also 1 1/2 wands aren't known for drying as well as 2" wands are. I would guess that it's more of a jet angle and water flow. Your jets may be worn out. Another guess is the 12 hg.....if you aren't running a lot of cfm 12 hg isn't a whole lot.

I've had carpet take a while to dry before and usually it had more to do with the customer not running air in the home. But that was running a hyrdahoe with a slot glide. I've never had a problem with a greenhorn wand what so ever. Customers that I have done a 2nd time have said it only takes a few hours to dry with the greenhorn, and since the problem with ac I tell everyone to run it to dry it faster.

Like above.....there are a ton of variables. But I think the most important factor to faster dry times is angled jets, if you keep the moisture out of the backing and run air/fans. You shouldn't have a problem with dry times in my opinion.

G

my filter was completely empty i empty it before every job didnt get much out of it any ways. i have a steamway wand only one jet no angle here. it was hot that day pretty humid she didnt run the air conditioner.ive been in a house when i first got the glide went to the first room i did was shocked on how near dry it felt 2 hours later.,forward wet stroke? and vacum that i have now is awsome i can fell it and the water seems to go the filter faster the glide i got is the one with the slots and little holes . scott

Rex Tyus

pretty humid she didnt run the air conditioner

There you go. Open a window and turn on the fans or run the a/c. You have to communicate. One of the most important things to be considered when discussing "how long will it take to dry?"

G

but i thought every one said with the glides carpet drying times are 1 to 3 hours

Rex Tyus

campusman57 said:
but i thought every one said with the glides carpet drying times are 1 to 3 hours

You are yanking my chain right?

If you put a thimble full of water in a jar and sealed it up it would still be in there days later. Pour it on the counter and it will magically disappear. :shock:

G

if you go and search here there are guys saying drying times 45 minutes to 1 hour its not me saying this its them do a search i was asking these questions during the winter when i was gonna buy the glide and thats what guys were saying

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

campusman57 said:

LOL!!!
first off I agree with Rex (as usual)
It's quite possible it was the drying conditions in that home on that particular day.

second, don't blindly take the word of bulletin board gurOOz as gospel.
and SURE don't take the word of the those that follow like sheep
(cause they don't sheet)

Did you try the new set on YOUR home?
that's where'd I'd start.
Your glide just pops in and out of the slot, no?
if so, do some side by side tests in YOUR home

..L.T.A.

Rex Tyus

You will not find a bigger fan of glides than me. That little device completely changed my business. That being said the glide in and of itself will not AUTOMATICALLY give you 45 minute dry times.

I don't mean to come across as harsh or negative. There are a lot of pranksters on here and I never know when someone is being serious with a question or trying to provoke an aurgument.

The glide will relieve strees from your back and shoulders. It will increase the slot velocity, it will reduce or eliminate the wand lip lockdown that occurs allowing more airflow and better recovery. And a several other things I am sure others will chime in about. BUT, if you fail to establish adequate ventalation or air exchange or dehumidification, in certain environments you will still get less than desirable dry times. I hope this helps.

One other thing, 450 psi may be a little high for a straight jet manifold depending on pile density and backing construction.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

campusman57 said:
if you go and search here there are guys saying drying times 45 minutes to 1 hour

what "they" call "dry", AIN'T
it's still damp in reality.

"dry" is a subjective term around here, that depends on what the definition of "is", is

..L.T.A.

G

thanks guys for the info its just a little tough here when your by your self no carpet cleaners here really into any thing high tech or up to date and my supplier in conn have to test a lot by my self going to test it all out at my mothers house next week time each room try with windows open depending what the weather is thanks scott

TimP

That's why I give a range of 2-8 hours to customers. Hell if it don't wet your pants then I'm dry when I leave.... :shock: however I know it's not dry. You never know what the conditions for drying are. There are many factors and saying 45 min to dry without fans may be possible in low humidity environments with higher temperatures. However in FL forget about it without fans.

Medium pile nylon carpet feels like there is no moisture maybe slightly cool to the touch in 2 hours in my own home.

Jay D

Name
Jay D

pool filters if not modified properly reduce airflow alot. I don't run one because of that.

G

i have the clear inline filter was thinking about the new hydra force hi flow filter but dont see what it hi flow about it it looks the same as the clear in line filter

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

campusman57 said:
thanks guys for the info its just a little tough here when your by your self no carpet cleaners here really into any thing high tech or up to date and my supplier in conn have to test a lot by my self going to test it all out at my mothers house next week time each room try with windows open depending what the weather is thanks scott

don't count on your disty to know anything.
Maybe they do, but most don't.
do side by side tests in the same room.
do one section, then imediatly do the next.

there can be a big difference from one room in a house to another.
that's why you wand side by sides in the same room

..L.T.A.

G

Heres something not many people talk about, when you talk about dry times because they are convenient,its your hydroforce.I understand for a dump or two where dry times are not a big deal,but for the most part they have alot to do wetting or over wetting,but again they are convenient.

Kevin

John Watson

But I learndt alls I knows on the internet BBS

I rest my flippen case..

Mikey P

Administrator

The most logical answer, assuming you did everything to the MB code of ethics, is that the carpet was old, stanky, full of adobe mud and "soap" from the last ten idiot cleaners named Mort.

John Watson

Cleaned my daughters living room and hall at 3PM today. Totaly dry by 6 PM when she got home from work, Wonder what I did??? :roll:

Chads

Supportive Member

I would listen to Kevin P on the idea that you could be putting down to much pre spray or to much water with your pre-spray. I would also like to see what your Hg guage is reading when running with no hoses hooked up. In theory you would want to be running as close to zero,becuase with no resistance in either directon of air flow should not cause vacumm pressure. I would also try checking your blower secondary filter the one if your tank over fills. Also some truckmounts have a blower pre heat exchanger that would restrict air flow too.

Mikey P

Administrator

John Watson said:
Cleaned my daughters living room and hall at 3PM today. Totaly dry by 6 PM when she got home from work, Wonder what I did??? :roll:

1 cup of pre spray and it's still dirty.

John Watson

Have to cut costs somewhere, It was a freeby to boot. Now are you buying me my 2nd O'Douls at the Sahara???

It can be my Birthday drink, Be another year older in about 42 minutes

Mikey P

Administrator

John Watson said:
Have to cut costs somewhere, It was a freeby to boot. Now are you buying me my 2nd O'Douls at the Sahara???

It can be my Birthday drink, Be another year older in about 42 minutes

Let me play a few rounds of nickle slots and I'll give you my freebie.

Name
Ron lippold

scott what kind of wand technique do you use. do you put water down only on the back stroke or do you do chop strokes wfo followed by a few fast dry strokes

Back
Top Bottom