Who's more guilty at devaluing carpet cleaning across the board?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Besides Rug doctor making people think they can do a good job by wasting their weekend cleaning their own carpet...Sears is the guilty FK'ers

watch

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Agreed Matt

Sadly, I also think that our society has become so distrustful of strangers in their homes that some people would rather buy a small cleaning machine (term used very loosely) or rent something rather than to have someone they don't know in their home.

Look how people no longer knock on the door or ring a doorbell....they text that they are in the driveway. So many people respond to someone at the door with dread.

It is even worse to have them in the home.

Everything cleaners can do to build referrals and trust through community contribution and authentic and friendly social media postings are about all that can be done to combat this.

This is funny because it is true:

View: https://youtu.be/5CznoAW2k1I

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Agreed Matt

Sadly, I also think that our society has become so distrustful of strangers in their homes that some people would rather buy a small cleaning machine (term used very loosely) or rent something rather than to have someone they don't know in their home.

Look how people no longer knock on the door or ring a doorbell....they text that they are in the driveway. So many people respond to someone at the door with dread.

Everything cleaners can do to build referrals and trust through community contribution and authentic and friendly social media postings are about all that can be done to combat this.

I’d love to go to one of his shows

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Mikey P

Administrator
I gave an estimate for an old retired couple that lived way out in the boonies yesterday, they had one of those Gates she had to get out and prop open drive-thru and then close it so one of their three terriers wouldn't run off, both of them were about 4 ft tall but they were very happy to see me and we're chock full of stories about all their adventures living out there dealing with bears and mountain lions, we commiserated about the lack of amiable and talented service people available in such an area and they had stories about their roofer painter floor installers carpet stretchers and plumbers and we're just thrilled to have found me after I handed over my credentials when I gave them the estimate for $405 for four rooms and some braided rugs they looked at me like I was crazy, in a good way I think they're expecting more like 800.

She was baking cookies the whole time and had sheets and sheets of them all over the kitchen and I was a bit shocked I didn't get offered one but I'm expecting some Entenmann's for the next visit

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
She was baking cookies the whole time and had sheets and sheets of them all over the kitchen and I was a bit shocked I didn't get offered one

Depending on how well she got along with her husband, they might have had a special ingredient in them for him

If she is the merry widow the next time you clean up there, you'll know for sure.

You know I'm fairly cynical about the human race by now, don't you?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Sears is out of business here. As are all the department stores
I know Sears is out of business. That video was just an example of all the junk discounts the big named businesses advertise on.

Back to my original reasoning:

I'll never understand the concept of advertising a stupid low price (starting low) and wasting so much time and energy trying to upsell to make a decent average invoice.

Just start at the normal average invoice price and enjoy your job and get good at it. The job will sell itself and when customers see that you're good at what you do, they'll do the upselling for you and ask about the other services.

But since these franchises have to have the greed to want every customer, they ruin the price by DEFLATING it, which gives customers reason to think we can give stupid discounts.

I feel bad for the air duct cleaning guys too. that stupid trend migrated over to that service and their job is harder than ours

Does rotorooter advertise crap like this?
What about plumbers or electricians?

I think the only service that can reasonably advertise stupid low prices is bug killers. They can unroll that hose and spray around the house in less than 30min, minimal to no physical stress, and collect $200 easy. So they can afford a discount similar to the big box 3 for $99 bs company.

Reactions: AlienAgent

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
I know Sears is out of business. That video was just an example of all the junk discounts the big named businesses advertise on.

I'll never understand the concept of advertising a stupid low price (starting low) and wasting so much time and energy trying to upsell to make a decent average invoice.

Just start at the normal average invoice price and enjoy your job and get good at it. The job will sell itself and when customers see that you're good at what you do, they'll do the upselling for you and ask about the other services.

But since these franchises have to have the greed to want every customer, they ruin the price by DEFLATING it, which gives customers reason to think we can give stupid discounts.

I feel bad for the air duct cleaning guys too. that stupid trend migrated over to that service and their job is harder than ours

I think the only service that can reasonably advertise stupid low prices is bug killers. They can unroll that hose and spray around the house in less than 30min, minimal to no physical stress, and collect $200 easy. So they can afford a discount similar to the big box 3 for $99 bs company.
It’s called loss-leader marketing. Been around forever.

The idea is it gets you in the door, or for retail, gets customers in your door.

Then you lie, cheat and steal to upsell.

Not my thing, but it works.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

Many people advertise like this. It's called bait and switch. The bait is the low price. When the cleaners arrive it's another story. It's been more than a year ma'am since you had the carpets cleaned? We'll have to use our super duper prespray at $10 more per room. Did you have the carpets Scotchgard last time? Well we can do it for you at $25 per room. You have a dog? That will be $100 for our exclusive pet stain treatment. These guys find a sucker a minute with their high pressure sales rooms. Just separate yourself from these guys with reasonable pricing and good service. Stop looking at their ads. They don't make any sense at all.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Agreed Matt

That and how to videos in the internet makes everything look easy.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom