White magic pto clutch...

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I have a 2000 pro-1200 white magic. It has always been a little noisy from the drive shaft but Friday it got obnoxiously loud. I have one of those mechanics stethoscopes and using it I believe I have narrowed the source of the noise down to the pto clutch. I think I'm going to change this thing out myself rather than making the 3 hour one way trip to the closest distributor.

First question is does anybody have a carquest part number for the correct clutch so that I can attempt to buy it locally?

Second question, is there any trick to getting the old clutch pressed off of the shaft. I know you take the center 3/8 bolt out and then screw in a 5/8 bolt in order to press it off but is there a better way to hold the clutch from spinning than just a giant pair of channel locks?

Last, I know there is a special procedure, using tape, for setting the clearance when you install it. Can someone give me the exact procedure?

Thank you

Ps Just in case I decide I don't want to screw with this. What kind of labor time would you say I'd be looking at to pay someone to do it?

Name
Jesse
What your talking about doing takes me no more than 30 minutes on our fords, gm may have more to move, I don't know, it's very easy though. Once you get under the hood, check your drive shaft, ours has moved before and made noises until we repositioned it. If you take the clutch off, check the bearing for play, if the bearing on the shaft goes bad, you'll get a rubbing/vibration sound or burn up a clutch if it's too sloppy. If you take your belts off in the machine you can check the rear bearings and it may help with evaluating the front bearings condition.

When I've changed ours out I've just turned on the power switch to engage the clutch, Without the van running it doesn't spin.

I've seen it explained differently but here's what I've done:
Leave the bolts on the magnet slightly loose to allow adjustment, used 3 wraps of electrical tape over the outer hub of the magnet, installed the clutch over it and spin it a few times, tighten the bolts, remove the pulley and remove the tape, reinstall the pulley, connect wires, tighten.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Are you sure it's not the bearings making that noise? I've changed the clutch on the old wm once and now it's going to get bearings replaced.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Thanks for the info.

Kevin I'm pretty sure its not the shaft bearings because it's only noisy with the machine off, van engine running. Also using the stethiscope the loudest point is the clutch itself. There is a rubber bushing around the driveshaft at the mounting bracket directly behind the clutch, I am going rto replace it as well

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Joey:

Think of this: If it's only noisey with the machine off, that's when the bearing is in a side "lean" position. In other-words, when the machine is on, it has only direct belt-to shaft contact, and no possible wobble.

Myself, I'd take the front of the clutch off, feel for wobble. If it's in the clutch itself, throw it away. But if not, feel the bearing for roughness/wobble. It's really no big deal to repalce it. Just a snap ring lock. Then adjust it: But in regards to the "3 layers of tape" adjustment idea, is that really the method? I never heard of such a thing. I was always told to measure 1/8", and have had no problem.

Thx,
Dale

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I changed out the clutch and the rubber bushing at the mount that attaches the driveshaft to the van engine. It was pretty easy, I'm glad I didn't make the 3 hour one way trek to the distributor. I did find the clutch (Ogura) locally at a heavy equipment parts store for $95, the distributor wanted $205 plus a minimum of 2-3 hours labor at $70 per hour.

My van has not been this quite the entire time I've had it, it was a pleasure to drive today.

Thanks for help with it.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Joey, I have a 01 WM 1200 pro in a Chevy van with almost 5000 hrs. I have had the rig for 2 years and the shaft has always sounded "grumbly" when driving from job to job. Did the clutch and bushings make the shaft silent when driving? The shaft is not turning while driving so I thought the sound was from the drive shaft being solid mounted to the engine. I do not see a rubber mount?

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Sounds like we are in the same boat. I bought mine 2.5 years ago and the shaft has always sounded grumbly/whiney when driving. I was told it was natural for them to be noisy so I didn't sweat it. A few days ago though it suddenly got unbearably loud. It is now very close to silent, I drove a long distance for a job today and the only time I noticed any noise was a very slight squeak at high speed/65 mph or so.

On mine right behind the clutch is a metal mount with 2 bolts mounting the shaft to the side of the block. In between that mount and the shaft is a piece of rubber separating the two. In mine the rubber was still there but it was crushed very flat allowing a good 1/4 of an inch of movement of the shaft, I'm sure that probably led to the bearing in the clutch going out. The piece of rubber was $20 at interlink.

Go to page 55 on this adobe file and look at number 18 on the diagram, that's rubber piece I replaced. Whitemagic number D152-rubber isolator strip.

http://www.whitemagicinc.com/Downloads/ ... E_2003.pdf

Bobby Brown

Name
Bobby Brown
i know this is a very old thread but does anyone have the part numbers of the bearings, bushings, and serpentine clutch. I would like to try to find the parts locally.

Jeff keeney

Name
Affordablest
Hey I seen someone ask abt the parts to fix the growing sound and sweeking... my phone number is 3044103388 I’m now really sure how to use Mikey’s board and I’ve only had this white magic pro 1200 for abt 6 months ... I know nothing abt it!!! Please help!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
OK im gonna tell yous all "Bobs secret on installing clutches...

1...loosen clutch mounting plate
2...remove center bolt and washer from clutch center
3...run a large bolt down the center of clutch
make sure you use the proper thread probably a 5 /8 thread cuz some are different
this will push the clutch off
(make sure the threads are correct while you have the new one off)
4...install new clutch and mounting plate..loosely
5...wrap the some making tape around magnet real careful ..NO overlap...repeat NO overlap!!!
6...install armature and tighten down to spec
7...tighten the clutch mounting plate
8...take the clutch BACK apart leaving the mounting brackets tight
9...REMOVE masking tape
10..put clutch back on....torque to spec........

the masking tape will have left sufficient clearance between magnet and armature

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom