Whats the difference between grout and carpet protector?

Walt

Just curious if they are similar products repackaged for different uses.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
That's a damn fine question. Can you use Scotchgard carpet protector as a sealer for grout in a pinch?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
There are some similarities, for example both may contain fluorochemicals. But the absorbency, size of the pores or capillaries to be filled and so forth makes the products considerably different. Different surfactants. Different molecule size.

Carpet protectors can be worn off through abrasion and foot traffic. Grout protectors penetrate below the surface and are as subject to foot traffic. Grout may be cleaned more often. So the formulations are designed to resist the potential problems of the surface to which they are applied.

Never tried to use one in place of the other, so I don't really know the answer to Art's question. I suspect that grout sealer would make carpet rather stiff. Carpet protector might work for grout but not really well.

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Only the chemists know for sure and I'll bet their embarrassed at the answer.

I know for sure Magic Spell (solvent based) on grout works very well. Did a bunch of testing with it
before I applied it on the job and you can't believe how much stuff will float on the grout after it's
applied.

Louis Noble

On grout, the carpet protector works pretty well. it has to do with the carrier being able to get into the pores of the surface you are applying it to. because the grout has pretty big pores it works fine. it doesnt wear off that easy because the flouro chemicals used in the sealers and the carpet protectors are for the most part the same, once they get on the surface and or penetrate the stone its in and on there. All sealers will be worn off but not very soon after applied maybe a year or so in heavy traiffic areas.

In other words, go for it!

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Art Kelley said:
Can you use Scotchgard carpet protector as a sealer for grout in a pinch?

When customers asked about the durability of Scotchgard FABRIC Protector I would pass on the story from 3M about the use of it on the space shuttle to prevent the tiles falling off on re-entry
The closing clinch-line went something like this "if it's good enough to fix the problem on a multizillion dollar spacecraft madam it's sure as schitte good enough for your lounge suite"

roro

Name
Ron lippold
hard ball works excellent on tile grout and stone........ And its the only one I have tried that does not leave a film that has to be buffed off.....

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
roro said:
[When customers asked about the durability of Scotchgard FABRIC Protector I would pass on the story from 3M about the use of it on the space shuttle to prevent the tiles falling off on re-entry
The closing clinch-line went something like this "if it's good enough to fix the problem on a multizillion dollar spacecraft madam it's sure as schitte good enough for your lounge suite"

roro

No wonder those heat shield tiles fell off the space shuttle. The stupid dildos used scotchgard instead of adhesive to stick them to the surface of the space craft.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ultraseal Solvent-based fluorochemical can be used for both carpet and grout sealing.

There used to be some differences in the solvent carriers,
but we have gone to a universal solvent carrier . . .
that is not OMS.

It dries faster and is less toxic.

Better living thru modern chemistry.

Larry

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Ultraseal Solvent-based fluorochemical can be used for both carpet and grout sealing.

that is not OMS.

Larry

What about for stone?. Honed travertine, polished marble and granite?

Albert

Name
Ron lippold
Albert i use hardball on all my stone and tile jobs, i love it.. clean a glass shower door and spray hardball on it and mrs jones will love you..

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Albert Lazo said:

that is not OMS.

Larry

What about for stone?. Honed travertine, polished marble and granite?

Albert

It is used for trav, marble and granite.

Non-porous granite needs a few minutes dwell time.

Also available as an Enhancer, for slate and other stones.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom