Waste tank leak

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Tearing apart my back up van today. Hydramaster cds 4.2. have a small leak in the waste tank but what a nightmare to remove it. Control panel, heater exchangers and water box all attached to the waste tank. Have to disconnect and reconnect it all. Have to say, the tank lasted 24 years before having a leak. Can only find one so far, leak testing it now. Will patch it and it should be good for another 24 years. At the same time, I can service the pump, blower and shaft.

PXL_20240413_214047493.MP.jpg PXL_20240413_214041488.jpg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Can’t tell from the pictures, is the leak on the floor?
Yes, tank is upside down. The leak is where they welded the flange that bolts to the floor. There are a couple of places where it looks weak. Thinking to fibreglass the bottom. My Cleanco was much easier to remove. Much better design.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Jimmy repaired his Cleanco waste tank by pouring in SOMETHING and letting it dry. He’d have to tell you what it was.
Yeah, is was a flex seal product. This hole is too big for that, it would just leak out. Once I fix it, I would be tempted to try Jimmy's solution to prevent further leaks. Here is a pic of the unit dismantled.

PXL_20240413_233507628.MP.jpg

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
Maybe next time drill it out, then thread a bolt with the threads coated thick with JB Weld into the hole? Apply a little more all around the head, then paint?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Maybe next time drill it out, then thread a bolt with the threads coated thick with JB Weld into the hole? Apply a little more all around the head, then paint?
It's more than just one hole. The area adjacent to the weld is weak. I put a layer of fibreglass cloth down in a bed of resin and spread more resin on top. I think I'll do a second layer today just to be on the safe side.

PXL_20240414_005546927.MP.jpg

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
@Cleanworks that’ll work for sure. I kinda wondered about the bond between the fiberglass patch and the metal over time. It’ll probably last a lifetime though, I’m sometimes prone to overkill.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
@Cleanworks that’ll work for sure. I kinda wondered about the bond between the fiberglass patch and the metal over time. It’ll probably last a lifetime though, I’m sometimes prone to overkill.
Just put everything back together today. The firbeglass cured beautifully overnight. Looks nice and strong. Should last until the life of this van which is maybe another 4-5 years. Hey, no leftover parts.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
had a leak at the bottom of an aluminum tank once. Ground it down to the metal, drilled the hole round and plugged it with a bolt. Poured three layers of Flex Seal. No issues.

Since then, when buying new TMs, bottom 6 inches of waste tanks have been coated with Flex Seal

youd think they would come from the factory that way.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
The new company that’s coming out with a new tm has a stainless steel frame and maybe tank next year

Oh shhh, I wasn’t supposed to tell anyone.

• Wow
Reactions: Living The Dream

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom