Voice Broadcast/ Robo calls illegal Sept 1,2009 $16,000 fine

randy

Name
Randy
Just in case any of you are dialing for dollars, or should I say using computers to do so and missed the news, it is now illegal as a matter of Federal Law effective September 1, 2009 to utilize voice broadcast/ robo calls/ auto dialers in most circumstances. The ban now covers the entire United States and includes calls to previous customers unless you have written permission to make automated solicitation calls. Literally you have to have permission slips on file (renewed annually)from your customers to call them. The fines are pretty rough at $16,000 per illegal call made. Our wonderful Federal government has even set up a new offices within the Federal Trade Commission to enforce the ban and levy fines. They can be reached at 1888-382-1222 should you need to file a complaint. Since the robocalls are often set up to hang up if you answer and only leave messages, it will be really easy for these fine bureaucrats to prove infractions with the recorded proof left on answering machines. Looks like a way to raise revenues to me as the legislation authorizes the FTC to utilize the IRS to collect the fine. The fine amount can literally be sweep out of your bank account or your property seized without a hearing, as if it were a Federal tax debt. I hate robo calls, but this seems a bit extreme and a misuse of IRS power.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
randy said:
I hate robo calls, but this seems a bit extreme and a misuse of IRS power.

They should hook their balls up to a tow trruck and drag them through the downtown streets. And robo call their cell phone."Hi, this is Debbie. It's very important you contact us about your credit card."

damion68

I think it’s about time. I'm sick of being interrupted just to hear...."Please stay on the line; we have an important message for you". I agree it may be just a small inconvience but, 3-4 time a day is a bit annoying.

I don’t necessary agree with "big brother" stepping into all the areas of our lives lately; However, I think if we as a society were more accountable and responsible to our "fellow man" this kind of protection would not be necessary.

G

That is why it is just better to send reminder mailers. Look into bulk mail permit from post office; may save you a lot of advertisement dollars!!

randy

Name
Randy
rjfdube said:
That is why it is just better to send reminder mailers. Look into bulk mail permit from post office; may save you a lot of advertisement dollars!!

Rickie if you are using bulk rate, run a mailing with first class postage and see what a difference it makes. A bunch of bulk mail is thrown out by the post office, so much in fact that experts like the late Gary Halbert, Jay Abraham & Dan kennedy advise against it.

I like email and post cards for reminders, never use bulk rate postage.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Like most laws now days.

The government and politicians are exempt from the ban on robo-calls.

Whoed of thunk?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom