Vinyl plank install question

Name
John
im about to install some vinyl plank flooring in a rental property. We tore out some glue down carpet over concrete. Question is do I need to skim coat over the old glue residue or not?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I would foot 2 reasons. You won't get a proper bond and the old trowel marks and crystalizing glue are high/ low and deteriorating Ideally the subfloor should be free from as many imperfections as possible. There's also chemicals too loosen up the glue to make scraping it up a breeze.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Talk to an installer, not a carpet cleaner.

We installed vinyl plank in our rental, and the installer skimmed over the entire floor before installing.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Use a foam pad between floor and planks.

I'm assuming he's talking glue down LVT , Steveo
not snap-up laminate

if the concrete pad is even and not busted up or cracked , no need to skim coat

I'm not a flooring contractor, but did stay at the Holiday Inn once
and I sure as hell wouldn't skim coat over old glue ridges
I'd scrap the old glue off

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Had an installer who refused to install those planks over concrete. Said they would buckle in a short time because of the moisture coming up. Do the fake wood planks with a subfloor.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Depends on the plank style.

Heavy plank is only sensitive to small high spots. Any dip that is thumb-sized or larger should still be filled, but doesn't have to be perfect. Lighter weight vinyl requires a pretty level floor. You risk having bleed up between the tile if you're trying to use adhesive to fill old trowel marks, so I'd agree with getting the floor as clean as you can..

Check with the manufacturer of your plank to see what they recommend...

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
yes I would patch over the glue why. Carpet glue is mostly latex and Vinyl plank glue is an acrylic. If there is a problem for what ever reason it will be your problem . I am doing a job like you are in 2 weeks a 1000 ft

Mikey P

Administrator
Had an installer who refused to install those planks over concrete. Said they would buckle in a short time because of the moisture coming up. Do the fake wood planks with a subfloor.
You're confusing laminate with LVP.

FLAT as can be is imperative if you don't want to see the hamster and pack of smokes..

Reactions: Harry Myers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom