VCT Question

Name
Matthew Sturgis
I have only done one VCT job so far. So I am a complete rookie.
A church wants an estimate to clean their kitchen.
They have these big cabinets on wheels. I am wondering how you would clean this job.
Would you just move them around while you stripped and scrubbed?
Would you strip on area and move them over before waxing? I am concerned about scuffing or dirtying up the tiles with the tires.
Or would you move them, strip, wax, and then move them back?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

78538-72def2680c8d2084e09bb80ad2351ef1.jpg

Attachments

• vct table.jpg
    vct table.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 248

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
I would see if you could move them out before doing the job.
The problem is that no matter how you move them arround the wax you are moving them on will not be set up enough to withstand the weight.
If they don’t really move that much you could move them to clean under then move them into their place and wax arround them. You could also come back the next day, once the wax has set, move the cabinets and wax under; but that would require a second trip.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Good advice above. I would try to move them out. Let someone at the church replace them the next day when the finish is hardened. Clean the wheels while you are there so they are not pushing dirt into the new finish as they get rolled into the room.

If you can't move them out. Move to do the floor under them. Push back into place. Do the rest of the floor.

Doug Rice

Supportive Member
If the cabinets don't get moved much the floor underneath might not need much work. Most of these floors don't need stripped unless they have been putting down mop n glow or some other garbage sparkle juice. If it is not in bad shape and has conventional floor finish it might just need a deep scrub with a blue or green pad, a couple of rinses and 2 or 3 coats of finish.

Name
Matthew Sturgis
If the cabinets don't get moved much the floor underneath might not need much work. Most of these floors don't need stripped unless they have been putting down mop n glow or some other garbage sparkle juice. If it is not in bad shape and has conventional floor finish it might just need a deep scrub with a blue or green pad, a couple of rinses and 2 or 3 coats of finish.

That's one of the things I am confused about. When to strip and when to just scrub. This is a kitchen in a church and I don't know if they have used mop n glow or not.

The other thing I'm confused about is when to stop stripping. How can you tell when all the wax up up?

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
That's one of the things I am confused about. When to strip and when to just scrub. This is a kitchen in a church and I don't know if they have used mop n glow or not.

The other thing I'm confused about is when to stop stripping. How can you tell when all the wax
Ask them how they are maintaining the floor, or check the cleaning cupboard for any mop on topicals

It looks like there is a topical on there from the reflection, I'd strip it back if they want more finish applied as not all products are compatible.

If you can scrub it back and there is no remaining discolouration then you dont need to strip it, provided you are reapplying the same finish

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I would just move them. But in the case I couldn’t, I would square scrub dry strip and move them from side to side. In the event I couldn’t move them at all, I would square scrub around them.

Name
Matthew Sturgis
Ask them how they are maintaining the floor, or check the cleaning cupboard for any mop on topicals

It looks like there is a topical on there from the reflection, I'd strip it back if they want more finish applied as not all products are compatible.

If you can scrub it back and there is no remaining discolouration then you dont need to strip it, provided you are reapplying the same finish

Went back today. Could not find anything besides fabuloso. Not sure what they are mopping with. I may hear from their custodian this week.
They do have a few gallons of finish. So you think I could take say a green pad and scrub the floor. If I am not using a stripper would I use a neutral cleaner? Scrub the floor until the darkness disappears and then apply a couple coats of their finish. Does that sound logical?

The only other one I did I stripped with a hi-pro pad. I got everything off that floor. I guess I will need doodle bug pads of the same color as my circular pad.

Name
Matthew Sturgis
I would just move them. But in the case I couldn’t, I would square scrub dry strip and move them from side to side. In the event I couldn’t move them at all, I would square scrub around them.

I measured today and I can move one of them out. The other will have to stay. I am thinking of scrubbing underneath, moving back, and then finishing around it. The only areas that would not get extra finish would be under the 4 wheels. They don't seem to move but a little bit over time just from normal use.

Name
Matt Ross
It's difficult to say from pictures whether a scrub and recoat would be sufficient. Some janitorial supply stores have a cleaner specific for that job, and it pulls more dirt out of the wax than a nuetral cleaner. Let it dwell and scrub with a green pad. Then if you want you can try to buff, then dust mop, then recoat.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
If the finish they've used is reputable (I have no idea of brands over there) you could try scrubbing with a neutral emulsifier to bring back then reapply topcoat

If I'm taking over a floor (and responsibility going forward) then I'll strip it and use products I'm happy with going forward

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey
Name
Matthew Sturgis
It's difficult to say from pictures whether a scrub and recoat would be sufficient. Some janitorial supply stores have a cleaner specific for that job, and it pulls more dirt out of the wax than a nuetral cleaner. Let it dwell and scrub with a green pad. Then if you want you can try to buff, then dust mop, then recoat.

Ok saw a video of a guy using a "mop on restorer". Looks like that would work better then a neutral cleaner.

There is an abrasive brown pad just for that. I use it with cleaner, or just water.
Slurp it up, then buff, dry mop and recoat.

I will get a brown pad to try. Probably with some colors of the rainbow too.

If the finish they've used is reputable (I have no idea of brands over there) you could try scrubbing with a neutral emulsifier to bring back then reapply topcoat

If I'm taking over a floor (and responsibility going forward) then I'll strip it and use products I'm happy with going forward

I thought of that too, just too know I am starting on solid ground. I am unfamiliar with the finish they used but it seems at first glace to be ok. It's made by Clarion.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Ok saw a video of a guy using a "mop on restorer". Looks like that would work better then a neutral cleaner.
Mop on restorer is the encap of the vct world, it looks better but more buys time before topcoating.
That floor needs to be scrubbed minimum it looks to remove discolouration

I will get a brown pad to try. Probably with some colors of the rainbow too.
Brown pad is a stripping pad, make sure you strip properly as you will have to recoat after

I thought of that too, just too know I am starting on solid ground. I am unfamiliar with the finish they used but it seems at first glace to be ok. It's made by Clarion.
Use the stripper that goes with it if stripping

Name
Matthew Sturgis
Thanks to everyone who has hung in there and is trying to help. I appreciate it. Church called back and changed their story. Not sure what was used as a finish or the last time it was done. So I have learned from you folks that it is best not to mix finishes and therefore I will strip it and put my own finish on it.

Name
Matthew Sturgis
Thanks again for all the help fellas! The job got done today.
IMG_20180416_092328239.jpg
IMG_20180416_092359329.jpg
IMG_20180416_092408113.jpg
IMG_20180416_181821521.jpg
IMG_20180416_181924343.jpg
IMG_20180416_181934812.jpg

With all the time and effort I put in I was expecting a brand new floor. I could not get all the old wax up. I kept scraping and scrubbing and it was a no go in some places. It looks better though and I learned a lot.

One problem I have... I got sloppy at the end and I got stripper under my tape/drop cloth. I didn't realize it and about 2 hours went by before I pulled up the tape. This is what it looks like.
IMG_20180416_181759415_LL.jpg

Is there anything I can do for that without making it worse? Or should I try to find someone who can fix it for me? Is that "quarry tile"?

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
They're all a learning curve if following someone elses work :biggrin:

sometimes less stripper is more on a stubborn stripping job, mix below max dilution ratios so the old finish can mix/lift more easily and rely on dwell time with agitation

looks like there is possibly a topical on that tile?

Reactions: Matthew Sturgis

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom