Van Options

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Hi guys,

I'm looking at purchasing my first truck mount and need first purchase a van. The van will have to be a used van as to stay within budget. I am looking to install the TCS Chief II in the van. What are some good van options, and which vans should I avoid?
Also, should my van by 3/4 ton or 1 ton?

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
if not carrying on-board water, 8500 GVW van will be fine.
Note, Ole School Ford Econoline (last year 2015) their E150 is 8500 GVW from about 2007 on
E250 8900
E350 9600

You're in FL, bodies don't rust out like up here.
You'll also find more E150's than 250's and 1 tons which contractors typically run til their done.

If not hauling 100 gal of on board water regular, the 8500 gvw will work well for you.

Donno about GM's GVW rating

..L.T.A.

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
if not carrying on-board water, 8500 GVW van will be fine.
Note, Ole School Ford Econoline (last year 2015) their E150 is 8500 GVW from about 2007 on
E250 8900
E350 9600

You're in FL, bodies don't rust out like up here.
You'll also find more E150's than 250's and 1 tons which contractors typically run til their done.

If not hauling 100 gal of on board water regular, the 8500 gvw will work well for you.

Donno about GM's GVW rating

..L.T.A.
Thank you for sharing. I'll definitely be carrying water onboard, but to your point, it won't be a hundred gallons all the time. Appreciate you sharing your input, thank you again!

Name
Swani
I've only had one van a 2016 Ram Promaster 2500. I couldn't imagine going to GM style van after having all this room. I carry 90 gal of water no problem. I try to remember to put it in tow haul when driving.

I did all my TM installation on it and it was pretty simple. You can pretty much drill wherever you need in the cargo area, and they come with a fuel tap from the factory.

Some of the Promasters had some transmission issues, but I believe it was earlier models. No real big issues with mine yet, at around 75000 knock on wood.

Make sure to check your door measurements to make sure the van will fit if keeping it in doors. One time I bought an enclosed trailer and thought I would be able to fit it in my garage. The trailer height was smaller than the garage opening, but what I didn't account for was the slant of the driveway. It didn't fit.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I have a 16 2500 GMC and carry water as well. It has the small v8 which is plenty until I pull a trailer on a windy Oklahoma day, which is nearly every day. If I were doing residential cleaning only, there’s plenty of room for vacuum, crb, and wands. The only problem I see for you would be adding the little giant heater to the mix. I’m sure Marty can speak to that.

carpetjim

a 2500 van 3/4 ton should be fine. I run a 405 performer 3/4 ton out of Sacramento area with hills all around and no problem with any weight. If your going to carry a lot of stuff, extended van would be nice. I did have extended and went to non extended and with organization have plenty of room. Don't mount stuff on ceiling, it's nice to have head room.
Hinged access door much better then sliding door, more room, and less problems down the line. Sliders always have problems later on.

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom