Took a month off

steamron

Name
Ron
I'm in the NorthWest PA area by the lake, been cleaning for 30 years. I don't mind it, still physically doesn't bother me. Customers at time are a pia.
This March I went to Cocoa Beach for a month. I put a message on the machine saying we are doing a yearly maintenance.
I happened to see a cleaning company at the condo building. I won't mention company name.
While talking to him he tried saying that he knows of cleaning companies up North that pay their cleaners $35 - $50 an hour plus 70% commission.
I had to find a way out of that conversation.

Please tell me it ain't so.

I'm back home tomorrow,
Damnit

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm in the NorthWest PA area by the lake, been cleaning for 30 years. I don't mind it, still physically doesn't bother me. Customers at time are a pia.
This March I went to Cocoa Beach for a month. I put a message on the machine saying we are doing a yearly maintenance.
I happened to see a cleaning company at the condo building. I won't mention company name.
While talking to him he tried saying that he knows of cleaning companies up North that pay their cleaners $35 - $50 an hour plus 70% commission.
I had to find a way out of that conversation.

Please tell me it ain't so.

I'm back home tomorrow,
Damnit
Yeah but it's in Canadian dollars.

• Haha
Reactions: hogjowl

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'm in the NorthWest PA area by the lake,

north of Eire Pa or north of Cocoa Beach ?
either way, sounds like a fishtail to me

side question, are you west or east of Presque Isle?

..L.T.A.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
cleaning companies up North that pay their cleaners $35 - $50 an hour plus 70% commission.
ok so lets say the cleaning company charges $200 per hour (remember we charge for our time so whether you charge by the room or by the square foot, it all boils down to an hourly rate) and the company pays $45 per hour and $140 (70 percent of 200) then the company is grossing $15. Minus costs of advertising, office expenses, gas, chems.......yah its true for sure.

• Wow
Reactions: Ever-Fresh

Ever-Fresh

Name
Jeff Paton
I had a young 20 year-old contact me last fall to see if he could work with me to learn carpet cleaning. He needed something to bring in money during the winter months because he worked on a farm during the spring through fall. His "plan" was to charge more than anyone else and make a lot of money during the winter months! Apparently, he thinks that Cleaners make $50.00 an hour PLUS 70% on every job! In Idaho, residential carpet cleaning is almost non-existent from November through February... the very months he was wanting to "work" and get rich!
I informed him that he had a plan that was not likely to work. Many local cleaners need cash flow during the winter months, so they offer deals like "Five rooms for $99.00." You will be competing with every established company as a part-timer (not a professional in people's minds) that will only clean during the winter months and charge more than everyone else!

During the winter I do not change my prices, and many people do not understand why I am not giving carpet cleaning away like some of the desperate cleaning companies do! Many companies who normally charge more than I do during the prime cleaning times, but offer deep discounts in the winter, are cutting themselves off at the knees. If I were their customer, I would only have them clean in the winter! At $99.00, you are basically exchanging chemicals, gas and wear and tear on your equipment for 'cash flow' dollars to get you by, and setting your customer up to believe that you are gouging them if you charge them more in the warmer months. If you can make a living at $99.00 for 5 rooms in the winter, you are surely cheating people when you charge $200.00+ for the very same job in the summer!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom