Time Management

SunClean

Been doing this for around 2.5 years and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel My problem these days is figuring out how to use my time more efficiently so I have enough time to do cc'ing, marketing, office work, social and business calls, going to business meetings being there for my 3 year old daughter......and having a little head space to keep from going crazy! What do you guys do?
Cheers
Mark

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Steve T and SFS might be a good place to start.

I took the plunge and employed a tech, trained him up to free me up. 2.5-3 years later, I'm back just as busy and so my next move will be an office administrator to free me from that side of things.

If it continues after that, then another tech on the road but I'm reluctant to go that stage before another 2 years when the first of my two rigs come out of HP leasing. I'd like both units totally owned outright before I add another rig if at all possible.

It can be hard juggling all roles as a new O/O but as you move forward (with the right resources like SFS) then it'll just become bumps in a smooth road.... hopefully not too many of them. I've just gone through a reasonably large BUMP myself but things are just about back to normal now.

John

Al

Read, "Getting Things Done" then "Ready For Anything" by David Allen

Also "Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy"

I like to listen to them.... www.audible.com listen to a free sample

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Tracy and Allen are great. But what they have done is basically "repackaging" common sense concepts. This stuff isn't rocket science. To cut to the chase here is what I do:

1. I keep a running list of "things to do" during the day jotted down on a folded up piece of paper. (sioux keeps ragging on me to use the Treo 650 she bought me a couple of years ago as an anniversary gift but I like things simple.)

2. Then every night I prepare my "Call/ See/ Do" list for the next day. The "call" part also includes an e-mail section and "things to investigate on the web" section.

3. I prioritize the items and add items that did not get done during the current day. (In 54 years I have have NEVER completed an entire Call/ See/ Do list.)

4. Then I do my best to do this stuff.

It is not just working harder but also working smarter. You should always ask yourself, "Is what I am doing the 'highest and best use' of my time?" Can you "delegate" stuff off? For example, I stick Sioux with a lot of my personal errands. We are a team and she knows the more time I spend on errands the less time I can spend on my ICS articles and hanging out on the internet ... Whoops, she just said I can do my own stinking errands now!

Seriously, though, here are some huge time wasters:

1. Television. One way we justify it is going to the club and watching a program while we walk on a treadmill. (We are going to buy our own treadmills and set them up side by side in a spare room with a TV. Less commute time to the club.)

2. Sleep. I finally quit setting my alarm clock most of the time and wake up when I want. But I can get a lot done from 6 to 8 am.

3. Internet surfing. Enough said ... :)

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS John, interestingly, we don't have a separate section in SFS on "time management". I'd like to include one but even with an intense five day course we don't have enough (you guessed it) TIME! However, even so our SFS members do tell me they become much more efficient upon their return home. Why? Three things that will help anyone even without coming to SFS:

1. SFS gives people a vision of what is really important in our industry. Business cornerstone concepts, if you will, to focus on. (I just finished a thirty minute DVD on these these "core concepts" for a service business. If anyone wants a free copy just send me your mailing address to stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com and I'll send you one- no charge and no obligation. Yes, even to Australia, John!)

2. Our members also receive over 900 pages of systems and procedures developed specifically for the cleaning and restoration industry. (Many of them by our current members who participate in our free TIPS networking program.) And since everything is written in Microsoft Word and on a CD-ROM they can quickly and efficiently customize these systems to their own company. Result? A huge amount of time saved!

3. And finally, part of their SFS homework is to fill out an "Action Plan" of one specific thing they will implement every two weeks over the next six months PLUS a detailed description of where they want their business (and life) to be in five years. (We call this part the Master Plan.) Everyone should have this running Action Plan for the next six months plus their "five year vision" Master Plan.

I find we get so wrapped in the urgent we forget what is important. It is good to continually reflect on what you have accomplished in your Master Plan. Ohhh, don't have a Master Plan? Time to get off the computer and get to work ... :)

Me? I have a past due and very urgent ICS article to get off to my editor! The urgent calls so I must leave all you important people! Have a great (and productive) day! (this is a great idea for a thread.)

SunClean

Thanks guys for the responses :D Very helpful and a great place to start. I've already printed Steve T's suggestions and they now have an honored place on my desk! I'll let you know how it's going...

Cheers
Mark

M

Mark Imbesi

I put my "To Do" List in MS Outlook's Calendar. Everything is loaded on there, even personal stuff (grocery shopping, kids softball game, workout, cut grass, etc). The trick is quitting something and moving onto the next when you are supposed to. Make sure you are being fair to yourself by allowing enough time to complete each "thing" so you are not "under the gun". This has worked wonders for me since the beginning of the year. Good Luck!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen R. Covey
http://www.amazon.com/Habits-Highly-Eff ... 0743269519
Less than $10.00, of course you have to make time to read it.....the 3rd Habit.
The 7 Habits

1. Be proactive. You are responsible for your life. Decide what you should do and get on with it.

2. Begin with the end in mind. Think of how you want to be remembered at your funeral. Use this as a basis for your everyday behavior.

3. Put first things first. Devote more time to what's important but not necessarily urgent.

4. Think win-win. Have an abundance mentality. Seek solutions that benefit all parties.

5. Seek first to understand, then to be understood. Don't dive into a conversation. Listen until you truly understand the other person.

6. Synergize
. Find ways to cooperate with everyone. Value the differences between people.

7. Sharpen the saw.
Continually exercise and renew four elements of your self: physical, mental, emotional/ social, and spiritual.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom