The Great Debate: Urine Removal Processes

FredC

Village Idiot
What do you diaper wipers find best for urine............preferably without a strong masking scent

• Haha
Reactions: BIG WOOD

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
unfortunate....I was actually looking for a product recommendation
I haven't tried it but the Encapstore sells a product called "war on pee". A lot of padders swear by it. Needs about 1/2 hour dwell time. Any type of "cide" may help but if it's a large amount, nothing is really going to cure the problem. I have had good success on urine dribbles from dogs being walked from their suites to the elevator in highrises using Saiger's Code Red of Encaps with Saigercide eucalyptus deodorizer added. The oxy wipes out the staining, the deodorizer leaves a fresh scent. Because we don't saturate it and it dries quickly the odor doesn't come back. Not like doing urine saturated carpets in a home though quick drying may help.

Reactions: FredC

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
What do you diaper wipers find best for urine............preferably without a strong masking scent
Acidified sodium chlorite. That’s the real way to produce aqueous CLO2.

The products claiming to be stabilized CLO2 are just tech grade sodium chlorite. If the SC is not mildly acidified, then those jokers aren’t getting the actual benefit.

I usually mix my SC with a mild acid rinse to convert the SC to stabilized, aqueous CLO2.

No scent needed, soon as I CRB in the ASC, the piss odor is pretty much gone.

Reactions: Living The Dream

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Im assuming you're referring this process for commercial and not over carpet with a pad???
I use that process on residential with a few piss spots.

Neither process pulls piss out of the pad anyway, so my goal is to not get the pad piss wet at all.

The longer I do this, and keep choosing my own customers, the less I have to deal with pets soaked carpet.

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
When you say Rotovac in, are you only using it to brush in, or are you doing extraction with it? What made you go with Dry Slurry? I've always been under the assumption that urine needs to be treated with an acid.
I’m doing extraction with the Rotovac. Then I’ll wand out. Working the way out of the room as normal. Why just Dry Slurry? Because most of the time really doesn’t matter what you use. It either comes clean or it doesn’t. So I’ve quit buying an arsenal of cleaning products.

Mikey P

Administrator
I’m doing extraction with the Rotovac. Then I’ll wand out. Working the way out of the room as normal. Why just Dry Slurry? Because most of the time really doesn’t matter what you use. It either comes clean or it doesn’t. So I’ve quit buying an arsenal of cleaning products.
Do you use the Brush Head on the RV?

I wish they had used a Veejet system with the jets pllaced furthur off the carpet, the brass flood jets wear quickly and get pin point streams in them that can obliterate certain piles to the pionnf of no return

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
Do you use the Brush Head on the RV?

I wish they had used a Veejet system with the jets pllaced furthur off the carpet, the brass flood jets wear quickly and get pin point streams in them that can obliterate certain piles to the pionnf of no return
Regular head. 3 slot I think. I don’t like the jets either. I need to order some new ones.

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
The Rotovac brush head?
You two must be real pussies.
IMG_0773.jpeg

Ever-Fresh

Name
Jeff Paton
Gently soak with enzyme enough to get to the pad
set Up while enzymes are digesting urine
extract with water claw while pouring water in the area.
clean carpets while spraying enzyme on the spot.
pouring a good rinsing agent of about 4 ph helps The extract.

Honestly, any carpet with mega urine is almost hopeless.
Small spots here there can be controlled.
If the pet has a habit of urinating on carpets and owner is not willing to get rid of the animal, the problem will always exist.

Ive been to homes that smell like pet urine while I’m standing outside ringing the doorbell and the door closed. Homeowners do not smell the stench. When i walk in, i wonder how in the world people live like this and not know their home stink.

I like pets, I had a doggie For 9 years. Their is no way I would let a pet toilet on the floors or sofa. He either will be trained to potty outside or he just has to go. Forget that noise. No way.
The good news is that any improvement will look like you did something! The only problem would be that any visitors will tell them that you did nothing!

• Love
Reactions: Mikey P

Ever-Fresh

Name
Jeff Paton
Acidified sodium chlorite. That’s the real way to produce aqueous CLO2.

The products claiming to be stabilized CLO2 are just tech grade sodium chlorite. If the SC is not mildly acidified, then those jokers aren’t getting the actual benefit.

I usually mix my SC with a mild acid rinse to convert the SC to stabilized, aqueous CLO2.

No scent needed, soon as I CRB in the ASC, the piss odor is pretty much gone.
Any issues with color loss with CLO2? I've seen it with peroxide, but was always leery about CLO2.

Name
Swani
Odor from decay in dog hair IS the bigger issue today.

For the curious, here are the factors that create this odor from dog hair and dander after you clean:

Sixteen compounds were found to be important odorants in dry dog hair coat vs.22 in wet dog hair coat. Water addition to dog hair and incubation causedsubstantial changes in the volatile compounds observed. Many compound groupsshowed increases upon water addition: strong sulfur, medicinal, or fecal smellingodors (dimethyl trisulfide, phenol, p-cresol), mushroom (1-octen-3-ol), fruity (2-nonanone), floral (â-damascenone), and earthy smelling (2,3-diethyl-5-methylpyrazine) odors, and branched or complex aldehydes (2, and 3-methylbutanal, isobutanal, 2E-octenal, acetaldehyde, benzaldehyde,phenylacetaldehyde, 2E-nonanal). Of those compounds measured,benzaldehyde, phenylaldehyde, acetaldehyde, phenol, and 2-methyl butanalshowed the largest increases with 32, 6, 5, 5 and 4 times the dry hair value,respectively. Concurrent with these increases, analytical results show decreasesin straight chain aldehydes upon water addition (hexanal, heptanal, and decanal).However, the changes in levels of octanal and nonanal were dog dependent.Isovaleric acid, hexanal, and heptanal showed the largest decreases upon wateraddition to the hair.

Compounds Responsible for the Odor of Dog Hair CoatWSAVA 2002 Congress*Linda Young, Phillipe Pollien, Deborah Roberts, Jill Cline*Nestle Purina PTCSt. Joseph, Missouri, USlinda.young@rdmo.nestle.com

Based upon my experience in dealing with this issue for .....well, since Jimmy Carter was in office.....I find that EPA registered sanitizers work best on the problem. For decades, phenols worked best, but are not as easily available, and those that are smell awful. Now I find "botanical" products, that contain thyme or thymol work best.

Removing as much dog hair as possible first is critical to success.

Oh...and forgive me HWE guys....but the less you wet it, the less it stinks.

Everyone else, carry on with your urine odor treatment experiences.
I have started to implement this tip from @Jim Pemberton and it has been very effective. Thank you, Jim.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom