Tear out pad?

Name
Evets
Do you guys tear out pad on every job, even if it's a cat 1 and not very old?
Every WD company I ask say they tear it out regardless. I don't.
Just curious as to why some do it.

BEFORE YOU REPLY:
I have the meters, Xtreme Xtractor, badass dehus, certifications, experience, blah, blah blah etc., etc.., but feel free to talk to me like I'm a Rookie if you need to, as long as some part of your reply addresses the question.
Thanks.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Always a tradeoff. Usually goes if: over particle board, blandex, or swelling plywood. Cheaper way to remove a lot of moisture and get better drying of baseboards and more.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
No "We always" from our crews. Every situation is different and should be elvaluated as such.

Pad replacement is expensive so we save what we can, when it makes the most sense. Those with pet pad and non-permeable vapor barriers we have to pull.

In the last few years we are pulling more of it as the pet pad becomes more prevalent.

Just off the cuff I'd say we save more than half.

Reactions: Walrus Gumboot

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Shortest answer:
When it comes down to what is better for the structure and enables the fastest drying at the lowest cost, pad removal is it.

Longer short answer (removing politics and admitting to being just an interested observer):
Top-down drying was sold as a money-saving way to dry carpet, as the insurance company didn't have to pay for new pad and re-installation of the carpet. The end cost actually grew though, as contractors took advantage of generous IICRC rules that let them stack as many pieces of drying equipment in a room as would fit, charging the insurance company for all of those rentals. Insurers weren't happy.

The IICRC rules were tightened (they still allow a ridiculous amount of equipment in a room) and insurance adjusters are more educated about drying equipment levels and for what duration they'll pay, so you might have to answer questions about your choice of drying methodology no matter how you do it.

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
We carry medium size water claws on each truck. If it’s Cat.1 and under 75-100 sq. ft. We’ll offer to extract and leave the padding. If it’s larger than that the pad needs to go (it’s going to be cheaper than paying me to extract with a claw all day). Obviously, if Cat. 2 or 3, it goes regardless of extent.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I was thinking the same thing on discovering what kind of subfloor you're working with and how long it's been soaked to help determine whether or not to remove pad

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom