Super Grout Additive to the rescue

Mikey P

Administrator
Two of these, some tile floors, kitchen counters and coming back to install Super Grout in the floor to tub joint.

20171011_102247.jpg
20171011_130231.jpg

You shower guys should try this stuff if you havent yet..

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I now turn down most house cleanings since losing the elves.

I am curious; once you scraped the caulk with a razor, what did you use next? A solvent, or a 3m eraser wheel?

Name
Jason Pettinato
Two of these, some tile floors, kitchen counters and coming back to install Super Grout in the floor to tub joint.

View attachment 74851 View attachment 74852

You shower guys should try this stuff if you havent yet..

Let me know if you have any questions on the Ceramic Tile Pro Super Grout Additive®. I am the inventor and distributor and can help answer any questions about the product. It's a 100% solids epoxy, nothing magical but it works really well as a silicone/caulk replacement. We have a number of grout cleaning/restoration companies using it nationwide including a few well known franchises that are also on board. I personally use it for my tile contractor business including new shower floors. Please visit my Youtube channel for a number of videos that show me mix and apply it. thank you - jason

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Interesting product. Couple questions

So the porcelain tub to wall tile interface has a lot movement.

How much movement will this allow before failing? breaking or losing bond. How flexible is it as a percentage?

One concern in walk in showers is floor perimeter caulk trapping water in substrate, whereas grout allows vapor transmission.

Does this product allow vapor transmission?

And if it does not, is there mold/ mildew inhibitors to keep product from staining from the inside out. Like caulk

Must the joint be completely dry before applying?

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Jason Pettinato
I’ll try to get some of my longtime clients to chime in and give their personal view on how they use Super Grout Additive®

It is not flexible, it’s just the opposite, extremely strong but if you have excessive movement it may not be your answer. If you can easily move the tub or similar suggesting that it wasn’t installed securely, I would let the customer know about that and let them decide if they want to use caulk that may develop mildew issues or the epoxy which may develop a hairline crack that you may be able to fill-in.
It does do a great job on any and all corners with minor expansion contraction without cracking. It is a good idea to vacuum any wet areas to allow the epoxy to bond properly. I don’t know if it allows vapor transmission but can ask my chemist and let you know.

Mikey P

Administrator
How about the idea of filling the bathtub with water before applying so that you're filling a larger void.. when they drain the tub after it hardens what do you think will happen to your product

Reactions: Doug Rice

Caulkmaster

Name
Mike Holm
How about the idea of filling the bathtub with water before applying so that you're filling a larger void.. when they drain the tub after it hardens what do you think will happen to your product

I have only needed to do that a few times but in the thousands of showers I have re-caulked/now re-grouted with SGA and every time there's been a consultation with the client that "this gap is huge and I'll do my best"

As far as this product not having any flex it has not been an issue whatsoever...yet.

This is the type of product that you tell your friends about but hope that your competitors don't hear about :)

Reactions: Jason Pettinato

Caulkmaster

Name
Mike Holm
Do's
Tell Client to allow to cure for 72 Hours before using in a shower or tub

Get Color approval...especially from the picky clients. Undersell how well the color is going to match (we dry mix and show them it will be close to that color but not exact)

Put "kits" together with plastic cups, syringes, mixing stick(s) or putty knife

Wear gloves (I like (wife likes) my hands nice and soft... despite the "Caulk" paronomasia I'm a flaming hetorosexual

Have various grout colors (We mix colors to get within "10-15%" match (*part of my turn on to this product is not having to stock a ton of silicone colors anymore...WAY LESS WASTE)

Mix it extra thick for big vertical gaps and/or do those gaps LAST. The product will start to firm up so do the horizontal surfaces 1st.

Be Patient. If there's a lot to do and you're on your own only mix up what your going to use. I've mixed up too much before on big jobs (over confidence) and wasted material. I HATE waste (see Paul Aker's 2 Second Lean)

I can actually silicone/caulk faster than I can SGA on most jobs, despite this, I know this product outlasts silicone.

Have a small plastic garbage bag for throwing away the empty bottles, gloves, sticks etc.

Mix over a towel or drop clothe

Prep area properly, Mix thoroughly

Dont's

Make a mess. I've had one of my guys leave a chunk of this on a clients door knob, chunks in tubs, sinks, etc. Make sure you clean up well. If you get this stuff on your pants/clothing it's tough to get off once it's cured.

Breathe in a bunch of grout dust. Silica sand is bad. A respirator isn't a bad idea.

Don't eat it.

If you live in Kitsap County Washington, don't use it. It won't cure properly

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Been trying to get my wife on this kinds of project. She's really good at fixing and restoring this kind of thing. Good at restoring a lot things actually. Good money in it i can imagine

Name
Ross Martin
Nice job on the shower @Mikey P .

I would have used Spartan Foamy Q&A to get all that crap off from the door frame.

I don't do a lot of re-caulking but would have just used some clear silicone. Easy 'nuff just to fill the bigger voids as you go along and the appearance is very forgiving.

What are the benefits of "Super Grout" @Jason Pettinato?

Name
Jason Pettinato
What are the benefits of "Super Grout"?
@GreenTechAgain , Benefits of using Super Grout Additive®

1. No more call backs on issues using caulk/silicone such as mildew/mold, not bonding or peeling away, cracking or becoming brittle.
  2. charge a premium for a more professional repair
  3. Very little product is needed. As little as 1/2 kit or approx $15 per repair for a $175+ job.
  4. No chemicals needed, cleans with warm/hot water and microfiber towel.
  5. Mix any color grout so very little waste vs buying individual tubes of caulk for each color that may expire before using the complete contents.
  6. Easier to apply than 100% silicone
  7. Outperforms "Industry Standard" per TCNA hands down
  8. Can also be used as a traditional epoxy grout for new shower floor grout installations.
  9. 99% water, or just as waterproof as ceramic or porcelain tile.
  10. Never needs sealing
    IMG_3316_1024x1024.jpg
    SGA.jpg

Caulkmaster

Name
Mike Holm
Been trying to get my wife on this kinds of project. She's really good at fixing and restoring this kind of thing. Good at restoring a lot things actually. Good money in it i can imagine

There's good money but also the nice thing is that you don't have a lot of $invested or overhead. There's not equipment breakdowns (ok I've burned through a couple makita's)

You can get setup with some utility knifes, flat edge blades, and a vacuum cleaner. Having a makita and various pads helps if you're going to be doing hard water spot removal.

I have a Vapor Steam Cleaner but have done tons of showers/baths before I did have that.

Name
Jason Pettinato
Since Super Grout Additive® is a true Epoxy, you can grout complete shower floors too.

Attachments

• 9F287A6D-1A70-4E3A-ACED-3103D23CACE7.jpeg
    9F287A6D-1A70-4E3A-ACED-3103D23CACE7.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 556
  • 1A984CB3-FE67-4B01-82AE-BDD07F23D751.jpeg
    1A984CB3-FE67-4B01-82AE-BDD07F23D751.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 515
  • D3DE7D58-CC39-44D4-9575-5687BBC1BB5E.jpeg
    D3DE7D58-CC39-44D4-9575-5687BBC1BB5E.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 589

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
@Jason Pettinato Ive been watching a bunch of your youtube videos for a while now. One question I had was for removing old grout. In one video you removed it very easily with just a razor knife on some unsanded grout, if it doesnt come out that easily what is your tool of choice?

I saw one guy on youtube with a multi tool that he attached a shop vac to which seemed pretty fast and no mess. What do you think about the other electric tools? do you prefer to just remove by hand?

Its always a pain kind of for me, looking for a better system that is faster and clean as possible

Name
Jason Pettinato
D10BA643-9726-4E20-90D5-CE6882D7626D.jpeg
@Acp , for unsanded or tight joints you can use the Hyde Regrout Tool with the pointed bit. Sanded or joints 1/8”+ a makita 4” angle grinder with diamond blade but that is very dusty and you have to be careful not to damage tile.

@Jason Pettinato Ive been watching a bunch of your youtube videos for a while now. One question I had was for removing old grout. In one video you removed it very easily with just a razor knife on some unsanded grout, if it doesnt come out that easily what is your tool of choice?

I saw one guy on youtube with a multi tool that he attached a shop vac to which seemed pretty fast and no mess. What do you think about the other electric tools? do you prefer to just remove by hand?

Its always a pain kind of for me, looking for a better system that is faster and clean as possible

Mikey P

Administrator

Doug Rice

Supportive Member
The muti tool rocks. I have a Fein tool and you can adjust power but I'm sure any other MT would work. You can buy diamond grout cutters in an assortment of widths to match the job. I do the clean out or grinding with a shop vac running at the same time to catch the dust.

Name
Jason Pettinato
Capture.PNG
0991AD9C-3A00-4ADF-88E8-0A28CB31D7D8.jpeg
How long has your product been out?

How many shower floors has it been tested on and for how long?
The skim coating idea has me thinking...
@Mikey P , Ceramic Tile Pro Super Grout Additive® has been out for over 6 years. I have personally tested it in my own bathroom at shower floor perimeters and vanity counters where tile meets backsplash. I was always having an issue where the side wall of the backsplash would continually crack. There was a pocket door on that wall so there was very little support and you could move the wall back and forth with little effort. I noticed that the epoxy grout was strong enough to withstand that movement and years later, it never cracked again.

You can skim coat over CLEAN grout. I will offer this option to my customers if the grout is badly damaged or just won't come clean. I specialize in shower restoration work so most of the repairs are shower floors which happens to be one of the hardest areas to restore. We all know that.

Attachments

• mp.jpg
    mp.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 632
Last edited:

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
awsome thanks for the info Jason. Well be putting in an order soon.

Do you have base colors that can be mixed to match grout colors? If your familiar with color clad they have sticks of grout so you can match up colors easily, do you have a way of doing this easily with your product for skimming over grout? @Jason Pettinato

Reactions: Jason Pettinato
Name
Jason Pettinato
@Acp, You get your color by selecting the color grout that you want to use.

I like to use Custom Building Products Polyblend or Mapei Keracolor available at Home Depot and Lowe’s.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom