Super Couch Cleaning

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
I timed myself today while cleaning a 15 linear foot synthetic sectional couch with detached foam cushions. I tried moving as fast as I could while doing excellent work, and after I was setup it took me 2.5 hours to clean the sectional. Not sure how I could really clean the same one any faster while properly cleaning it. It wasn't in terrible shape, but not in great shape either. I did a decent amount of spot treatments on the seat cushions and arm rests but nothing crazy. I've been charging $20/linear foot and I made $300. So $120/hour.

For now I think I will go up to $25/linear foot for couches with detached cushions and stay at $20/linear foot for couches with attached cushions, that should bump me up another $20 or $30/hour. However to make $200/hour I think I would need to charge $35/linear foot for the sectional I cleaned today. And while I would still secure a job here and there charging that, I don't have enough reputation or exposure to get that consistently and still be booked a week out. Not yet. Anyways does 2.5 hours sound normal for a couch like the one I cleaned today? Wondering if I'm still just really slow at cleaning it compared to others. If so maybe I can share my methods and be critiqued on ways to save time and still do really good work. I know some of you guys get $35 to $40/linear foot but that's a few moons down the road for me. I'm still learning the ropes and earning a reputation.

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

scotty747

When is Jim's next class? I bought an RV to drive down to San Diego a month before COVID shut everything down.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I timed myself today while cleaning a 15 linear foot synthetic sectional couch with detached foam cushions. I tried moving as fast as I could while doing excellent work, and after I was setup it took me 2.5 hours to clean the sectional. Not sure how I could really clean the same one any faster while properly cleaning it. It wasn't in terrible shape, but not in great shape either. I did a decent amount of spot treatments on the seat cushions and arm rests but nothing crazy. I've been charging $20/linear foot and I made $300. So $120/hour.

For now I think I will go up to $25/linear foot for couches with detached cushions and stay at $20/linear foot for couches with attached cushions, that should bump me up another $20 or $30/hour. However to make $200/hour I think I would need to charge $35/linear foot for the sectional I cleaned today. And while I would still secure a job here and there charging that, I don't have enough reputation or exposure to get that consistently and still be booked a week out. Not yet. Anyways does 2.5 hours sound normal for a couch like the one I cleaned today? Wondering if I'm still just really slow at cleaning it compared to others. If so maybe I can share my methods and be critiqued on ways to save time and still do really good work. I know some of you guys get $35 to $40/linear foot but that's a few moons down the road for me. I'm still learning the ropes and earning a reputation.

Remember that your operating costs are lower with your portable than with a truck mount.

I'm not encouraging discounting your service in any way to be clear, but the hourly returns per hour based on truck mount costs of ownership and operation, including 2-3 gallons of gasoline used per hour are not costs that you are experiencing.

At least not yet.

That said, anticipating future costs and establishing your value in the marketplace is positive of course.

Read Kevin Ds advice from above my comment.

He's made it in a small market that isn't booming with the ultra rich by doing things right, and wisely.

Name
jack zerkie
Remember that your operating costs are lower with your portable than with a truck mount.

I'm not encouraging discounting your service in any way to be clear, but the hourly returns per hour based on truck mount costs of ownership and operation, including 2-3 gallons of gasoline used per hour are not costs that you are experiencing.

At least not yet.

That said, anticipating future costs and establishing your value in the marketplace is positive of course.

He's made it in a small market that isn't booming with the ultra rich by doing things right, and wisely.
Yes not good to run a truckmount at slower speed in the hot Florida heat. I use encap then extract with water with the old original Rug Docter R -40 unit light weight and easy to use.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Your only concern starting out should be top quality work.
Speed will come later with experience.
Making 2-300 per hour starting out, you're reading too many bulletin boards.
That makes a lot of sense. Top quality work is what I'm after. My only major frustration so far is effective spot removal for my clients. I know I can do better but am just limited with my knowledge thus far. Thank you for the reality check about where I'm at and what is important.

At least not yet.

Thanks Jim you're insights into my comparative expenses are very helpful. I've recently adjusted my carpet cleaning prices up to .45/square foot from .40/square foot (.50/square foot when there are only a few rooms to get better totals on small jobs). And my on site area rug cleaning prices I moved up from $1/square foot up to $1.25/square foot. I haven't lost any leads doing so and my time, travel, and other expenses are being way better accommodated for. For now I feel more honored making that as a diligent new comer.

In considering what you and Kevin wrote I think I will stay there for a season as I slowly progress and become a more valuable service provider. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom