staying afloat

steve_64

for whatever reason clonopin seems to work great for me. ive tried the others on my doctors recommendation but they werent quite as effective. i hardly take anything anymore though,sometimes just to sleep or occasionally before golfing.it clears my mind when it starts to race to much. the depression was since childhood, mood swings and stuff anger all that mess. but getting my heart fixed really changed my life. i had no idea what i mess i was until i got off that constant adrenaline rush. my body went through massive changes over a few years and like i said im still healing but man what a difference. nobody can understand what its like unless you have experienced it. it has been truly amazing.

thanks for the concern and i mean that sincerly.

i was cleaning an apartment for a guy today, hes a resident, couch and 3 rooms and the manager saw me. said she wasnt happy with her cleaner so now im her new guy. several complexes in two towns nearby. the guy working with me saw someone he knew that owns 6 or 8 subways so we are cleaning his house next week. we may start cleaning the tile and grout in his subways too.

what a difference a day can make. its how things go for me, just when i start getting too slow things bounce back even better. its a crazy business but i do love it. i can just imagine what i can do if i really really put more effort into sales.

not having a license is helping me put more trust in others and forcing me to learn to deal with an employee. i wouldve canned this guy after a couple days but hes really starting to be an assett, more so than just a driver. im really growing from this experience. as tough as it is im seeing it as a positive experience instead of just caving to the stress. another challenge on the road to success.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
All I can say is wow.....

I have to admit that I missed some of what you wrote down.... But-
When you are done venting ask Mikey and Fred to make this go away....far. or you may find yourself in a position where you will try to explain all this to potential customers.

If they do a quick search on you and find all this, they may be turned off and away from you even if you learned how to clean great!

It does remind me of seltzer's novels from the old ice days and later for a short time here too....that guy had a lot of drama and loooooooooooong posts about it....

steve_64

zee, yeah i know what you mean. a lot of my customers already know some of this, ive never hid from who i am.but i can see where a potential customer might have second thoughts but im a different person to some degree in person. i do have some customers who i dont get into my personal life with but they do know ive been through a lot. i think the worst thing would be a competitor to see this and use it against me but ive overcome worse things. ive had horrible things said about me in the past. ive had people who got to know me admit they didnt like me because of what others said but now are some of my closest friends.its been that way all my life. good people will see the truth, that im human and ive made mistakes. i think most can relate.

and yes i run on too much, it comes from being alone to much and the way my mind races through thoughts. i really want to write some books one day, have since i was in junior high. im still learning the patience to do it but i have written some short stories.

i do remember some of seltzers stuff, i caught it towards the time he was getting out of the biz.

i do appreciate the input from everyone and things are looking up.and i will try and not run on so much and be so open in the future. thanks for the advice.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Thank you Steve, you are not the first nor will you be the last to have such a story to tell. You are not alone. Thanks for sharing, and we will help if we can.

Able 1

Name
Keith
i do have some customers who i dont get into my personal life with but they do know ive been through a lot. i think the worst thing would be a competitor to see this and use it against me but ive overcome worse things. ive had horrible things said about me in the past. ive had people who got to know me admit they didnt like me because of what others said but now are some of my closest friends.its been that way all my life. good people will see the truth, that im human and ive made mistakes.

Buddy, I don't think your customers really want to here about your problems.. Really I go the opposite no matter what's happening in my life I won't let that show through on the job or say anything about it. I always try to talk about POSITIVE things no matter what they are and joke around a little (depending on their personality). People have their own problems, they don't want to hear about yours..

F

FB7777

You? Write a book? LOL

You couldn't focus long enough to right a sensible greeting card

There are more than a few here that can relate to boundless energy and drive that you speak of, the key is focusing and organizing your day

If you can't get past the ups and downs in business, ride out the mundane repetitive monotony that accompanies stretches of time as a small biz owner , the major set backs of losing huge accounts, employee major screw ups then Yea... Go get a job

Stop blaming ADHD for lacking the maturity and tenacity it requires to runa business

Personally, I'd ditch the Bane crap mount and get a real cleaning machine first... Cuz whether you realize it or not, it is partially responsible for your not being busier. Those machines are the worst machines ever created! You're leaving carpets too wet and not nearly as clean as you could get them with ANY other machine

steve_64

Buddy, I don't think your customers really want to here about your problems.. Really I go the opposite no matter what's happening in my life I won't let that show through on the job or say anything about it. I always try to talk about POSITIVE things no matter what they are and joke around a little (depending on their personality). People have their own problems, they don't want to hear about yours..

many of my customers i have been dealing with for a while now. i dont piss and moanwhen i talk with them. i do share some personal things but im usually smiling and joking about it when i do. many of them know my family. its a small town. i realize it sounds like im complaining but im not. im very grateful to be in the position i am. this is just whats happened in my life and i deal with it the best i can.

steve_64

You? Write a book? LOL

You couldn't focus long enough to right a sensible greeting card

There are more than a few here that can relate to boundless energy and drive that you speak of, the key is focusing and organizing your day

If you can't get past the ups and downs in business, ride out the mundane repetitive monotony that accompanies stretches of time as a small biz owner , the major set backs of losing huge accounts, employee major screw ups then Yea... Go get a job

Stop blaming ADHD for lacking the maturity and tenacity it requires to runa business

Personally, I'd ditch the Bane crap mount and get a real cleaning machine first... Cuz whether you realize it or not, it is partially responsible for your not being busier. Those machines are the worst machines ever created! You're leaving carpets too wet and not nearly as clean as you could get them with ANY other machine

dang fred, whats happened to you? i dont remember you being such a hater. i love my bane!!! just because you couldnt figure out how to make it work for you doesnt mean others cant. :oldrolleyes:
maybe youre losing work to a bane guy i dont know but i know why im not busier and it has nothing to do with my equipment. its my own fault and thats the bottom line.

as far as writting goes i said im not ready yet but you see what you wanted i guess. maybe i never will,im just sharing some personal thoughts and you go ballistic lol.this is why people dont get along with each other in life. its why people dont seek help and try and be better, some people just look for an oppertunity to bash each other judge others to make themselves feel better about thier pathetic life. :barf:

and one reason i didnt mention why i was thinking about a full time job was for some routine and stability again. just my way of finding that again maybe. that and getting a house again, taking on more responsibility and higher cost of living. i take that serious and its making me edgy right now. in fact in 4 years ive rebuilt my credit from the fallout of the divorce. i have nothing to complain about.

annnnywayyyyy.....

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
maybe i never will,im just sharing some personal thoughts and you go ballistic lol.this is why people dont get along with each other in life. its why people dont seek help and try and be better, some people just look for an oppertunity to bash each other judge others to make themselves feel better about thier pathetic life

Fred's makes me cry all the time ...he's mEEn

actually, Fred and I often think alike
I'm just not a big prIck like him..... I grew up with a different perspective being born a poor black child and all :afro:

.L.T.A.

steve_64

freds alright, i always liked him.i like most people. i was being an ass again in my post. i need a censor button on this keyboard lol.i have one on my mouth just not on my fingers. something im working on.i just dont want to become a boring robot.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Fred hits ya (everyone) right in the nose to get your attention, it does hurt but its always the truth.
He's not so much a hater as he is impatient and irritated by those that don't see themselves as he see's them or doesn't take the advice he gives.

He has valuable input if you can get past the waterey eyes from the punch in the nose. :afro:

steve_64

yeah i see what you and he is saying. i accuse others of reading into my post yet i did the same to him.

i guess i took a defensive stand about my bane (i catch hell for that) and he was just giving his opinion in his way.

reading things today i see things with a different perspective. i think our state of mind at the time we read something or hear or see things determines what we get out of it.
i was in a defensive mode last night and thats not how i want my perspective to be. thats how we miss getting that valuable insight.

thanks guys

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The Bane is a good machine, steady, few problems or breakdowns but has it's limits.

If the operator cares about what he doing and takes his time he might be able to challege a TM for finished product. However with a TM you won't have to work as hard, hot water, higher pressure and much better vacuum make cleaning easier, faster with better results.

It ultimately always comes down to the operator but with better tools you can deliver a much better product with a lot less effort.

steve_64

The Bane is a good machine, steady, few problems or breakdowns but has it's limits.

If the operator cares about what he doing and takes his time he might be able to challege a TM for finished product. However with a TM you won't have to work as hard, hot water, higher pressure and much better vacuum make cleaning easier, faster with better results.

It ultimately always comes down to the operator but with better tools you can deliver a much better product with a lot less effort.

i disagree with everything except the operator. ive ran a prochem 405 or whatever it was. it took just as long and actually i think i got better results in certain situations. i can get my water over 220 by leaving the heater plugged in over night but it wears the valves and hoses out faster. my dry times are similar(now) to others due to better wanding techniques and using hotter water. and i think bane products are top notch which allows me to clean just as well. and when you say less effort, im not sure what you mean. i drag my wand at a similar speed to others i set up in about 2 minutes on a lot of jobs and put things away in about 3 or 4 by myself if i push.

ive always wanted to go head to head with someone for a true comparison. i average a hundred an hour by myself if not more. and my work load doesnt justify running a gas or fossil fuel machine. im more profitable than most other cleaners delivering similar results. ive done flood extractions with my bane and get it dry and odor free like others but that is a little slower but other than that i really feel im just as competitive.

Name
Lee Stockwell
i disagree with everything except the operator. ive ran a prochem 405 or whatever it was. it took just as long and actually i think i got better results in certain situations. i can get my water over 220 by leaving the heater plugged in over night but it wears the valves and hoses out faster. my dry times are similar(now) to others due to better wanding techniques and using hotter water. and i think bane products are top notch which allows me to clean just as well. and when you say less effort, im not sure what you mean. i drag my wand at a similar speed to others i set up in about 2 minutes on a lot of jobs and put things away in about 3 or 4 by myself if i push.

ive always wanted to go head to head with someone for a true comparison. i average a hundred an hour by myself if not more. and my work load doesnt justify running a gas or fossil fuel machine. im more profitable than most other cleaners delivering similar results. ive done flood extractions with my bane and get it dry and odor free like others but that is a little slower but other than that i really feel im just as competitive.
Steve you have NEVER and will never clean at 220 F with a Bane. Water boils at 212 in your tank at atmospheric pressure, and your temperatures on a hot day will never come close to that. To get temps above boiling the heat must be added AFTER the pump. I've had decades of Bane experience tweeking them to the limit. I still own a Bane but now run 405's. (I doubt you actually ran a 405) No comparison!!! Please arrange to spend a day with an experienced TM operator.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Steve having never owned a Bane I can only go by what other owners tell me.

Twenty years ago we sold Prochem equipment, a prospective buyer had 5-Bane units and he wanted a demo. We demo'ed what was then top of the line slide in, a Bear Catalytic for him. He was blown away, he couldn't believe he difference (his words not mine) and got financing to buy one. Within a year he had bought 2-more for a total of (3) brand new Performer Bear Catalytic's from us. All because he couldn't get the guys to use the Banes once they had cleaned with the Prochem units.

Again not saying you can't clean as well, but I do believe it's going to take more work from you to compare in cleaning.

If that 405 truly compared in cleaning, there had to be something wrong with their unit. It shouldn't!

Name
I'm Rick James
Wow. TMI Steve... Put the bottle down or whatever and go on a sabbatical to get your shit together. The fact that your customers KNOW what a mess you are is a huge red flag, even if you worked for them for years. Remove yourself from your life to go find a new one and I would have the admin remove this thread for you..

steve_64

lol well life happens and i dont hide from it. im pushing forward and like the direction im going now. im not even complaining about my past it is what it is. thats all im saying. im not looking to be a ceo of a franchise or even be like ken snow. im a small time operation enjoying the day to day work i do.

and yes ive ran a prochem 405,it had some hours on it and yes it ran hotter than me at the time i ran it but i didnt have the tanks with the heater in them then and i dont run those temps now, no need it just destroys the equipment.but i was monitoring temps at one time. yes it has more vacuum or air flow but i can leave the carpet just as dry or close enough. and just because water boils doesnt mean it stops heating.:oldrolleyes: and i stll dont know what you mean by more work.

this arguement doesnt mean a thing until its put to the test i guess. but i also know im taking work away from guys running bigger machines and sometimes at higher prices because of the quality of work im doing.its about making the customer happy not how big your machine is.

as far what ive said here about my personal life, maybe i shouldnt say what i have but its the truth.again im not hiding from myself. as far as what my customers know, some know more than others but those who know a lot are very kind understanding people who like me even with my faults. sometimes they tell me thier story first so i share a little about my struggles and it makes them feel good to know they are not alone.i dont just blab about this stuff to just anyone in person. and maybe i shouldnt here neither as some have already said. but i did and knowing how some would react. i have thick skin and can take it. i never did understand why some folks are so judgemental of others. well i do kinda know but thats a whole other thing. in short its the sheep being led to believe whats right or wrong from someone elses opinion or what they have been taught to believe by other judgemental people.

im perfectly fine with my life. i dont need changing others do imho. go ahead and point fingers but remember others are pointing right back at you too. that in itself is a problem with society. some get it some never will.

Name
Lee Stockwell
If you've got a kitchen thermometer boil yourself a pan of water and tell me how hot you can get it....

Your Bane on a good day never cleans at over 170 F because of those darn laws of physics.

On your car if you take off the radiator cap when hot the suddenly depressurized water will BOIL, whereas if you kept the cap ON the internal water temperature can exceed the boiling point by a good bit.

The Bane cannot, because the heating is done at atmospheric pressure.

Bane's "sour grapes" reply to their lack of heat is reflected in your line: "...no need it just destroys the equipment".

High heat doesn't destroy GOOD equipment.

steve_64

i have a lot of elderly customers and many of them will tell me stories about thier children or grandchildren, or even thier spouses and themselves. sometimes i tell them a little bit about certain things ive been through so they can relate to me. it makes them comfortable with me and they seem to trust me knowing im not blowing smoke up thier ass. i let them know thier kids or grandchildren are going through the same stuff the rest of us are and thats reassuring to them, knowing its not thier fault. many of them want to sit and talk for longer than i want but i try and give them an ear for as long as i can. i think its good customer relations at least with my customers. some have even told me they are proud of me to overcome some of my challenges. especially wheni get into the heart disease stuff. that usually comes about when they ask how i got into the business and many do ask me that.

im doing what i think is right or at least right for me and it has been working. at least im happy with it.

oh and everyone asks why im not driving the van. they are use to seeing me in the drivers seat, i feel like they already know.instead of lying i tell them the truth, i ****ed up. amazing how many people like honesty.again many can relate due to the situation in this town and the surrounding area.

steve_64

If you've got a kitchen thermometer boil yourself a pan of water and tell me how hot you can get it....

Your Bane on a good day never cleans at over 170 F because of those darn laws of physics.

On your car if you take off the radiator cap when hot the suddenly depressurized water will BOIL, whereas if you kept the cap ON the internal water temperature can exceed the boiling point by a good bit.

The Bane cannot, because the heating is done at atmospheric pressure.

Bane's "sour grapes" reply to their lack of heat is reflected in your line: "...no need it just destroys the equipment".

High heat doesn't destroy GOOD equipment.

my tank is capped. it is vented with a small pin hole.

steve_64

what gets destroyed is the seals in the wand trigger and the hose. they deteriorate faster at higher temps.

steve_64

the vent acts the same way a pressure cooker works. only releasing pressure and steam once it reaches a certain pressure.

and i may be wrong about the boiling part but from my cooking experience there are different levels of boiling. maybe the temp stays the same not sure but there is such a thing as a rolling boil where the water wont stop boiling when something cold is added compared to when it first starts boiling. water that is being held at a temp will retain that temp longer than water that only reaches the temp momentarily. so if you only get water to a temperature for a moment it will drop faster than if its maintained at that same temp say over night giving more heat at the wand.

but then flow and all that come into play as well and what youre cleaning. im not an expert on this stuff. i also wonder if adding product will allow higher temps since my water in my tank has been premixed with an emulsifier. its not just plain water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
Lee Stockwell
Oh gawd...do you not think we KNOW the solution tank has a vent in the cap? You know why? To let in AIR as the pump uses up the tepid water in the tank. It is NOT pressurized, not even a LITTLE bit. Without the vent hole the pump is too weak to draw water from it.

Bane's standard wands and hoses are typical of those used with portable machines, not up to truckmount caliber at all. You are correct that they don't stand up well.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Best of luck in your new job. As with anything find the winners and stick with them.

steve_64

all i know is i started this business with a long time dream, since i was 16 actually. i knew with my issues i wouldnt be able to do it and i knew that in my 20s. things happened and i saw my oppertunity and i ran with it. im living a life long dream now and im doing very well with it regardless of the experts here opinions. i know there are a few here holding full time jobs and doing this on the side so i was curious as to what thier experience was doing that. i worry about burning out from all the hours.

i will always make mistakes i expect that to happen. ive lost accounts and keep adding new ones. its been up and down but i also expected that. i just get nervous wheni go through my slow periods like recently and especially when im taking on added responsibility like i am now.

if a customer asks me questions i answer them as honestly as i can. im not ashamed of being human, well not always.:oldrolleyes: my judgement isnt always perfect but i am working on it. at least im enjoying life and more now than ever regardless of my current or past situations. i look forward to the challenges im facing and will keep facing as i continue to grow in business and personally. this is what matters.

and my bane makes me more profitable than your prochem. so there! :clap: we need a icon with a tongue sticking wayyy out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom