Stained sofa

Cowger

Name
Grime Solvers Inc.
Cleaned an Ethan Allen white sofa with my usual upholstery cleaning shampoo which is about a neutral PH and had a blue color. After cleaning couch was left with a blue Hue (see pictures including fabric tags). Tried thoroughly rinsing to no avail. Any ideas on how to remove blue stains? Thanks in advance!

88AF4621-352D-4559-824D-477F849D41BE.jpeg 790DB9F3-DFB9-4B79-B4A2-9C1D854A5951.jpeg B3F33DC5-E5D4-4D84-A8AD-A84A2D7466AA.jpeg BFCC6471-BE65-4B53-A8FF-7CFF6BB6B92F.jpeg C2E8F6DA-B83C-4376-9232-C3E46E486523.jpeg D0223F38-BE5F-4E3B-B320-7B63C3C24D72.jpeg

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
How much is the product diluted in water?

If you dilute it and put it into a clear container, does the ready to use solution still look blue?

If that's the case, contact the manufacturer, give them these details, and they should be able to tell you the chemistry needed to remove their dye from the fabric.

The tags you showed only tell you the material that is beneath the fabric, not the fabric you cleaned.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
is the blue possibly dye transfer from new denim and the cleaning "revealed" it?

or is the blue consistent all over?

If you find its not your cleaner, Dan may have a good idea here.

But did they sit or lean on the inside back with something dark blue too? It appears it is both on the cushions and the upper inside back from your pictures.

People rarely read the "wash before wearing" guidelines on dark clothing.

Reactions: Hack Attack

Cowger

Name
Grime Solvers Inc.

If you find its not your cleaner, Dan may have a good idea here.

But did they sit or lean on the inside back with something dark blue too? It appears it is both on the cushions and the upper inside back from your pictures.

People rarely read the "wash before wearing" guidelines on dark clothing.
no I know it’s from my cleaner, the sofa was perfectly white prior to my cleaning. I’m going to get a cushion from the Custy to test. Thinking of oxidisers, reducers and hydrogen peroxide. Thoughts?

• Sad

Cowger

Name
Grime Solvers Inc.
How much is the product diluted in water?

If you dilute it and put it into a clear container, does the ready to use solution still look blue?

If that's the case, contact the manufacturer, give them these details, and they should be able to tell you the chemistry needed to remove their dye from the fabric.

The tags you showed only tell you the material that is beneath the fabric, not the fabric you cleaned.
The cleaner is a private branded product so I’m not sure on the manufacturer. It’s dark blue in color and a lighter blue when mixed with water. I’ve been using for years and have never had this problem.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The cleaner is a private branded product so I’m not sure on the manufacturer. It’s dark blue in color and a lighter blue when mixed with water. I’ve been using for years and have never had this problem.
Comes down to the dilution ratio sometimes. I've seen spilled cleaners leave their dyes behind. I have never liked using colored products. I'm thinking reducer but you really want to talk to the manufacturer.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton

The people who you bought the product from can get you in touch with someone who should be able to help you. I appreciate that you just want to get this taken care of, but they have a certain amount of liability here, and you should be prepared to follow through with that.

While insurance rarely pays upholstery cleaning claims, a claim that the product might have caused it might get you some relief, and your insurance company can fight it out with the manufacturer.

This has been done successfully in the past.

One of the reasons that I'm recommending this is because whether you start with an oxidizer or reducer, you're stuck with one or the other. The residues of whichever one you try first often prevent you from getting the other to work, or create other unpleasant reactions.

If you don't want to make an insurance issue out of this, at least get guidance as to which to use on this specific dye.

I have an idea, but an informed response from a formulater would really be best.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Several decades ago we used a blue precondition that faintly left a blue tint on light colored berber.

We tried several things but in the end we bought the carpet and the manufacturer compensated us with chemicals. But we didn't order any blue preconditioner! 😉

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Been using silver solution for upholstery. Works just fine. Good stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom