Stained Marble

SuperDave212

Name
David
did a heavy metal refinishing of floor, nothing touched the stain, left my favorite 40 clear down over night, didn't put a dent in it:(....Cameron...anyone with any suggestions...Client not to happy with the bright orange stain;)...

Attachments

• IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 429
Name
Robert Falzone
I've had some success using Hydroforce Peroxibright added to water and then using the water for a light diamond polish with Spinergy pads. Peroxibright if used very sparingly won't dull the marble. Peroxibright is an peroxide bleaching agent manufactured to take stains out of concrete. Think of it as 'tooth whitener' for hard surfaces. Just use 2 oz. per gallon and use an 8000 grit Spinergy pad on the floor. I wrote a blog about it with some before and after pics. https://robertfalzone.wordpress.com...ing-the-spinergy-pad-system-and-peroxibright/

Mikey P

Administrator
can see much in the 2'nd pic the the first sure gives the impression that the stain is coming from behind or very deep within.

Marble has naturally occurring iron in it I'm told.

sometimes rust "just" develops...

Name
cameron demille
1. when was the floor installed
2. why is it covered up
3. how long has it been covered up
4. What is normally in that spot, rug, mat, etc.?

Looks a little off in color for it to be rust, but it could just be the picture.

Name
cameron demille
I've had some success using Hydroforce Peroxibright added to water and then using the water for a light diamond polish with Spinergy pads. Peroxibright if used very sparingly won't dull the marble. Peroxibright is an peroxide bleaching agent manufactured to take stains out of concrete. Think of it as 'tooth whitener' for hard surfaces. Just use 2 oz. per gallon and use an 8000 grit Spinergy pad on the floor. I wrote a blog about it with some before and after pics. https://robertfalzone.wordpress.com...ing-the-spinergy-pad-system-and-peroxibright/

Peroxide and Bleach are both oxidizers. They can initiate and worsen rust conditions that are coming from within the stone. Italian white marble like Carrara, Calacutta, Bianco Venetino, etc. all contain ferrous metal deposits and can start to rust just from humidity or standing water. Adding an oxidizer can make it much worse.

SuperDave212

Name
David
Hi Cameron...glad u chimed in....It's an orange color not a normal rust color....House is fairly new, its a guest bath, nothing is normally there, best guess is a guest left a wet towel or sprayed sunscreen on there...was covered in the photo after I left 40 clear down overnight to no avail:(....first hit the spot with 70 metals since I had to refinish the floor anyway, no effect...second photo is how the rest of the stone looks...also left mangia organic stain poultice down overnight..no effect:(...Important client I would like to solve this problem for them...thanks

Name
cameron demille
Okay I have come across this before and there has been a few of these posted on various boards over the years. I don't know exactly what is happening, scientifically, but the basic issue is that there is moisture under the stone, which is not entirely unusual. However when something is placed on top of it, like a mat or a towel, it slows down or completely inhibits the stone's ability to transmit moisture. It's the same color of the stains you see where a potted plant has sat for years, or other standing water. It is basically moisture damage, but without any physical deterioration.

There is also an orange type of mildew/mold like you see in showers sometimes.

I don't know much about it, all I know is I have seen this several times before, it was caused by moisture being trapped under a rubber or thick mat, the stain was limited to the exact area that was covered up, and it couldn't be removed.

At this point, I might try what Robert Falzone suggested, with the explanation to your customer that you're fairly confident you won't be able to get it out, but you;'re willing to try. I honestly think replacing the tiles will be less labor intensive, and the most cost effective approach to eliminating this.

You can do a test with a non acidic rust remover, like Alpha RSR 2000. Non-acidic rust removers turn rust purple on contact. This will confirm whether or not it is rust. If not, you can move on to peroxide or bleach type cleaners without the risk of making it worse.

Name
Robert Falzone
I agree that using an oxidizer on rust will make it worse. I also agree that it's probably not rust. Using an oxidizer on organic stains in stone (food spills, mold, wine, etc.) can be beneficial. Hydramaster sells QCT with OxyBreak for stained stone floors. From the internet:
HydraMaster QCT with OxyBreak
  • Brightening power of hydrogen peroxide without the problems
  • Penetrates tile and grout quickly to emulsify grease and soils
  • pH: 2.0–3.0
  • For use on stone flooring
  • Variable dilutions
I've added small amounts of QCT or Peroxibright to the water when I'm using diamonds on stained marble and travertine for years and there have been no outbreaks of rust. I have some contractors using this method to get out wine stains in white marble.

Don't use peroxide used for fabrics or other purposes. (Boost All, Stain Zone etc.) Only use peroxide that is in these specialized surface cleaners because they are buffered and made to be more gentle for stone. That's doesn't mean that if you spill it straight on the marble it won't etch. It will. Mix if far away from the shiny stone. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

ted mcfadden

Supportive Member
Name
Ted McFadden
I like hydrogen peroxide on this though I would use a 40% solution and refinish and polish it when the stain is removed.

It is definitely more cost effective to replace the tiles as Cameron Stated.

srosen

Name
stuart rosen
Just wanted to chime in here-that stain looks reddish in the pic.
Doesn't look like rust in the picture but you can try Alphas RSR 2000 to test.
I don't actually use it to remove rust -can turn white marbles purple if you aren't carful.
Anyway it will tell you if its rust which I don't think it is.
If it doesn't test positive for rust I would use teds suggestion.
You need to leave it on a lot longer than overnight.
Make a paste using non scented baby powder and cover in plastic overnight.
Then take the plastic off and don't touch till the paste has dried.
This can take some time.
Maybe better to change out the tiles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom