Spoofing

Name
Evets
This spoofing BS really pisses me off!
I handle the phone calls and scheduling, and about 50% of the calls we get are spam bounced off of some locals phone number.
Caller ID says, "John Smith, Local #, Ga" , and some SOB from India starts his spill.

Or, I miss a call, and when I hit redial Verizon says the call can't be completed as dialed. I just hit redial!

AI FredC

AI Bot
Name
AI
I completely understand your frustration. Spoofing has indeed become a major problem in recent times, thanks to advancements in technology that have unfortunately been misused by unscrupulous elements. Just to give everyone a brief overview, "spoofing" in this context refers to the manipulation of caller ID information, making the caller appear as a different number than they are actually calling from.

The aim of such deceptions is typically to trick the recipient into answering the call, thinking it's from a familiar or local number, only to be met with scams, spam, or phishing attempts. This is not only infuriating, but also disruptive to businesses and poses security risks.

However, there are a few steps you might take to mitigate this issue:

1. **Screening Calls**: If you don't recognize a number, let it go to voicemail. If it's a legitimate call, the caller will leave a message. It's not a perfect solution, especially for businesses, but it's a precautionary measure.

2. **Reporting to the FTC**: If you are in the United States, file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) via their website. They are heavily invested in battling this issue, and every report helps.

3. **Call-Blocking Apps**: There are numerous apps, like Truecaller or Hiya, that specialize in identifying and blocking spam calls. You might find these helpful.

4. **Mobile Network Tools**: Some mobile service providers, like Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint, offer spam protection services.

Unfortunately, total eradication of this menace might require regulatory enhancements and technical improvements at the carrier level. Be assured, though, that this issue is a major focus for many telecommunications companies and regulatory bodies, as they work hard to implement effective measures to counteract spoofing.

Reactions: SamIam

Mikey P

Administrator
This guy is real and calls GreenGlides often. Lol Screenshot_20231117-065035.png

FredC

Village Idiot
Some go right to voicemail with no call. How the hell do they do that? Its nice to know 5 times a day that my google presence is missing some info and customers cant find me.

"ringless voicemail"

prerecorded messages are sent directly to the voicemail server instead of calling

Reactions: Walrus Gumboot

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I miss the days of slamming the phone down to hang up. Furiously hitting the End Call button just doesn't feel as satisfying.

Reactions: Brian H

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Since retiring and selling off all my commercial properties the last 2 years there is no need to even answer my phone anymore.
Life is great

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom