SHOULD a CC association LIMIT membership to cleaners ONLY?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
We have a VAST influx of snakeoil and trinket salesmen hanging out on these boards.

As one snakeoil salesman said that he only hangs around "Positive" people.

Well we all know about those rah rah sales people.
They only want a relationship by which they can get into your pockets.

So in effect they are "Negative" people in that their motive is suspect.

They really aren't your "friend" because of this.

I say we should not include any distributer/snakeoil/Trinket sales people from participating in our pure CC association.

Let them lay in wait for their unsuspecting CC prey on the public board.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Many "salesmen" also maintain cleaning companies. What do you propose to do about that issue?

What about those who are retired from cleaning?

What about the manager/owner of a large cleaning company who doesn't actually "clean" but doesn't sell or manufacture products to cleaners?

How about the brass of the major/minor franchises?

What about those who still hold a controlling interest in a cleaning company, but are no longer involved in it's day to day operations?

There are a lot of grey areas to deal with if you want to go that route, Jimmy. The world is not black and white. Purity of motives and intent is not easily judged.

Take care,
Lisa

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
I would say that is tough.

Although I am on the distribution side of the industry and work for an independent Interlink supply my mission is far from getting in peoples pockets.

I know where Jimmy is coming from, but you can't label everyone on this side of the industry with the same generic label.

Tony Neville

Name
Tony Neville
I think everyone should be included, maybe a retail membership or something. The manufactures and retailers are all looking to stay ahead of the trend, where the industry is going. To exclude them would handicap the organization.

You can always chose not to listen to someone!

Tony

Dan Joner

Our local association's (CCINW) membership is composed of both cleaners and distributors. Having served on the BOD of the CCINW, I can say that the contribution of the distributors is invaluable. All the distributors I ever worked with on the BOD were serving in the best interest of the association.

I'm sure that everyone who belongs to an association wants to "profit" from their involvement. We want to gain knowledge and skill that will enable us to server our customers better, and in the long run, increase our revenue. Few are the number of distributors that see their involvement in an association purely as way to prey on the cleaner. These people and their ways are pretty easy to discern - unless you're a fool. And fools are born every minute.

Any one who thinks distributors should be excluded from involvement is KoKoKnuts.

Where do you get the supplies that keep you in business?

Snake oil salesmen aren't limited to those who sell products, they can also sell ideas. What are you selling?

Greenie

I generally believe the "for cleaners by cleaners" motive is pure, it's perfectly natural.

Maybe an "Associate Member" for suppliers and such?

Brad_Smith

Salesmen can be a great asset. Just as long as they don't have anymore power than anyone member.

Brad

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Dan as the maker of ElecTroCobs I am sending you one of the returned used samples I have in the back room.

Dan Joner

Speaking of mixed DNA?! How about that, KoKoMorty?

Hope to see the two you in Portland next month.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
There are a number of ways to protect the interests of the membership and the association from the presumed leverage that cleaners envision from suppliers.

A separate class of membership with separate member benefits, and separate, limited influence. The nature of benefits befits the comensurate price of membership, which is usually lower. However, value added benefits, such as advertising within association venues can be added for more membership income. This is a double edged sword though, when you invite the advertising dollars that inhibit some of the free actions of the association. With relative large sums of money from one class, not of the regular membership, comes implied favor in questions pertaining to this class.

A type of "Associate Membership" usually provides for this, and the bylaws limit participation, and gratuitous power.

G

I think it's too tough to limit membership. I also think that there are a lot of people that aren't active cleaners that bring much experience, advice, and expertise. We'd only be hurting ourselves if we did not allow those people to be members.

We are all salesmen and women. And it's pretty easy on these boards or in person to tell who are the ones worth spending time with......

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
all in.
Now we can can have the kokokop department to weed out the baddies

and protect and serve the rest of us

G

I see nothing wrong with suppliers and manufacturers being involved as long as you know they are suppliers and manufacturers.

Dave

Rex Tyus

I see nothing wrong with suppliers and manufacturers being involved as long as you know they are suppliers and manufacturers.

Dave

Worth saying AGAIN. Best post on this thread.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I think I support the idea of an "associate membership" for suppliers and distributors...now what about retireds, franchises, managers, instructors, and those who have a financial interest in a cleaning company but limited involvement?

While I doubt it would be a problem now, in the future you may have problems with people trying to "circumvent" the spirit of the rules for power or financial gain.

Take care,
Lisa

harryhides

Name
Tony
truckmount girl said:
I think I support the idea of an "associate membership" for suppliers and distributors...now what about retireds, franchises, managers, instructors, and those who have a financial interest in a cleaning company but limited involvement?

While I doubt it would be a problem now, in the future you may have problems with people trying to "circumvent" the spirit of the rules for power or financial gain.
Take care,
Lisa

Personally, I'd have no problem with a retired person being a full member though I can't imagine why they'd bother, they would bring wisdom and experience and have time to contribute. Many franchise owners are mom and pops and do what we do so again no problem for me because they share our interests in bettering OUR industry. Instructors bring a tremendous about of information to the table but they are not cleaners unless they are both cleaners and trainers. So I'd be comfortable with them being full members but would limit the BOD to having a one Instructor maximum but only if they were not employees of a manufacturer/supplier.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Let me make this point, as I am an instructor:

Regardless of the good intentions involved, an instructor is a supplier of a service to the cleaning industry, and thus would not be an unbiased individual in the decision making process.

Instructors and suppliers can give great input and be good recruiting sources, but we have a definite selfish interest when it comes to decisions made in this industry.

I have never served as an executive officer of an association, and never will.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
[quote="harryhides] ...would limit the BOD to having a one Instructor maximum but only if they were not employees of a manufacturer/supplier.[/quote]

Very few instructors or trainers are actually "employees" of a manufacturer or supplier. Most are independent contractors. They will put on a class for whoever hires them.

Now a certain supplier may have a good relationship with an instructor or several instructors. They may like how they teach, the instructor knows that suppliers product line and how to use it or whatever other qualities attract a supplier to an instructor.

There are several instructors who are independent contractors. They may teach several classes a year for Bridgepoint distributors. But they are also free to teach for anyone else.

If this proposed association were to make rules about having instructors on the BOD, it would be good to make sure those writing the rule understood the relationship between the instructor and the distributor who hires them to teach a class.

Scott Warrington

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom