seo snake oil

MF Kapitan

Name
Kurt Skinner
why does e veryone say they know wtf they are doing and can halp you rank and be relevant ? Does everyone have to fail 12 times locally looking for a real provider? We have unlimited budget like a NASCAR team owner. Any suggestions for real Not fake web host/design/seo providers. We are done donating $2-3k mo to no brainers living in their mom's basement with a website faking like they are winners. I am asking for a friend...Kevin McCreary

Reactions: BIG WOOD

FredC

Village Idiot
why does e veryone say they know wtf they are doing and can halp you rank and be relevant ? Does everyone have to fail 12 times locally looking for a real provider? We have unlimited budget like a NASCAR team owner. Any suggestions for real Not fake web host/design/seo providers. We are done donating $2-3k mo to no brainers living in their mom's basement with a website faking like they are winners. I am asking for a friend...Kevin McCreary
You didn't give much detail as to the goal....

Well, McCreary's site seems to be ok seo wise*** and the site is nice. In fact if you search for carpet cleaning in meridian charter or Okemos** guess who pops up?

now, I'd imagine the goal is Lansing so you have to ask yourself if google has enough relevant results with decent optimization in Lansing wtf they would display results from outside Lansing proper*? They want to deliver the most relevant results to a query or the users location.

If you were searching for fast food in Lansing you probably don't want places in Meridian Charter or Okemos. Google is trying to give the most relevant result and proximity to the query location (city name or user location) is a huge factor in that. (take a look at the results on the map)

No amount of "carpet cleaning Lansing" backlinks, mentions on a page (although there should be more), or reviews is going to make that site the most relevant result. If you're spending 2-3k a month (I hope that isn't just hosting/seo) you'd be better off with a Lansing office than SEO for showing in results. You'd probably better off with targeted ads than the office or "seo".

*I know it's close by but a Lansing address is going to be weighted much higher so if those other folks are following google's best practices/seo they have a big advantage. A biz further away from what google considers the center may be able to overcome this with better seo than the closer guy but a biz that is outside the town proper will find it very hard unless there are few relevant results

**Note that places like Okemos or Williamston have fewer relevant results to display so begin to pull from the surrounding area and McCreary's site does well.

**I'm assuming we are talking about seo here and not managed ad buys and social media management

***There is very little within the content of the website that associates it with Lansing although there is some in the meta tags. Adding some may help but it is still unlikely to beat out well optimized sites located in Lansing.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamIam

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You didn't give much detail as to the goal....

Well, McCreary's site seems to be ok seo wise*** and the site is nice. In fact if you search for carpet cleaning in meridian charter or Okemos** guess who pops up?

now, I'd imagine the goal is Lansing so you have to ask yourself if google has enough relevant results with decent optimization in Lansing wtf they would display results from outside Lansing proper*? They want to deliver the most relevant results to a query or the users location.

If you were searching for fast food in Lansing you probably don't want places in Meridian Charter or Okemos. Google is trying to give the most relevant result and proximity to the query location (city name or user location) is a huge factor in that. (take a look at the results on the map)

No amount of "carpet cleaning Lansing" backlinks, mentions on a page (although there should be more), or reviews is going to make that site the most relevant result. If you're spending 2-3k a month (I hope that isn't just hosting/seo) you'd be better off with a Lansing office than SEO for showing in results. You'd probably better off with targeted ads than the office or "seo".

*I know it's close by but a Lansing address is going to be weighted much higher so if those other folks are following google's best practices/seo they have a big advantage. A biz further away from what google considers the center may be able to overcome this with better seo than the closer guy but a biz that is outside the town proper will find it very hard unless there are few relevant results

**Note that places like Okemos or Williamston have fewer relevant results to display so begin to pull from the surrounding area and McCreary's site does well.

**I'm assuming we are talking about seo here and not managed ad buys and social media management

***There is very little within the content of the website that associates it with Lansing although there is some in the meta tags. Adding some may help but it is still unlikely to beat out well optimized sites located in Lansing.
I found his post a little confusing. I would never spend that kind of money on SEO. You need a certain amount of SEO to get your website recognized by the major search engines but once that's done you are better off doing targeted ads on Facebook, Yelp or whatever. My uneducated opinion of course

FredC

Village Idiot
I found his post a little confusing. I would never spend that kind of money on SEO. You need a certain amount of SEO to get your website recognized by the major search engines but once that's done you are better off doing targeted ads on Facebook, Yelp or whatever. My uneducated opinion of course

I doubt I'd pay that much either. I assume it includes some other advertising

but there is definitely a benefit to being at the top of the search listings for a population center

Luky

Name
Mario
why does e veryone say they know wtf they are doing and can halp you rank and be relevant ? Does everyone have to fail 12 times locally looking for a real provider? We have unlimited budget like a NASCAR team owner. Any suggestions for real Not fake web host/design/seo providers. We are done donating $2-3k mo to no-brainers living in their mom's basement with a website faking like they are winners. I am asking for a friend...Kevin McCreary
I preferred organic SEO in the past, where fresh content, updates, photos, and reviews gradually moved the website up over time. In the new digital era, organic is not enough to rank on the first page, so I help it with a Guaranteed rate and PPC, but with a fixed budget of $400 a month for both. This is something that I've tried for the first time. Word of mouth, referrals, and well-balanced commercial/residential accounts keep me busy.
SEO gurus are stressing about the target audience. Sure, we all prefer less work with more meat left on the bone and that can be done, but we shouldn't have problem servicing customers as they come.
If you spend so much on SEO, you deserve some results and excellent visibility in selected areas.
I'm going to send you some info in DM; you are welcome to explore it if you find it suitable for your needs.

FredC

Village Idiot
You're also located in basically the city center of the population center in the area. Good seo makes a difference and your site is good but you have a heavily weighted point in your favor. It's different when you are trying to enter a population center with a location that is out of the "area"

a good example is one of Mike's sites that was number 1 or 2 forever until an address change to a few miles away even with all offsite NAPs changed.

Reactions: Walrus Gumboot
Name
Evets
You're also located in basically the city center of the population center in the area. Good seo makes a difference and your site is good but you have a heavily weighted point in your favor. It's different when you are trying to enter a population center with a location that is out of the "area"

a good example is one of Mike's sites that was number 1 or 2 forever until an address change to a few miles away even with all offsite NAPs changed.
You're right, we are in the center of our market and that definitely helps. Our next move is to a city about an hour away, and we will be renting a location in the middle there as well.
Also, our new website is the damn bomb, and will be ready in about 2 weeks. Hoodie did our current one and we are forever grateful for what he did for us.

Reactions: FredC

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I moved and had tried ppc, but my budget gets clicked out and hardly any response

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom