Rug loaded with bugs

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I got a 12x12 wool rug coming in. Its loaded with moth larvae or bugs that are eating it. I’m going to throw it in my big chest freezer for a week. Any suggestions on a chemical this should be treated with? Also the guy wants to knownif I can repair it. @Brian H , want to work something out and I’ll ship it to you if he wants to make it happen?

4096D07F-7851-49F2-A070-0654720DC9AA.jpeg F903DEA6-ECEA-4E15-A3D1-8EFF42281521.jpeg 05B7648C-5636-4CC1-8706-3D406BEC45A6.jpeg

Reactions: Papa John

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Sure, we can do it. We will need to see pictures to see if it's even worth it or not though.

And just freeze the moth larvae for a week. Take it outside, let it warm up, vacuum it and put it back in for a week.
I'll get more pics loaded once I get it. Not sure if you saw the pics I loaded in my OP. I loaded them later.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You can also get the Resist moth treatment from Chemmax. I also use a pyrethrin product in a fine oil that does no harm to rug or dyes. Bag it for 3 days and everything is dead including eggs.

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I just picked up this heavy sucker. Dont think I’ll be able to fit this in my freezer. But I’ll try.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Not yet. I’ll get whatever you guys suggest
Probably the Resist from Chemmax will be easiest. The product I get in fine oil is $150 cdn for per gallon which is why I am going with the Resist. You can sometimes find a product at a hardware store. Usually .1-.5% permethrin or pyrethrin in a fine oil. I am always concerned about water based products affecting the dyes. I spray both sides of a rug and bag it for 3 days. The larva die almost immediately but I am always concerned about the eggs. When you unbag it, you will see the dead larva and can pick or vacuum them off.

Reactions: Nomad74

roro

Name
Ross Craig
I'd also go with a synthetic pyrethroid although organophosphates were more effective possibly not availble to you now. If you can buy in your state get some Cislin 10 made by Bayer. Works on a large variety of insects. You do need to ensure it doesn't go into waterway as is harmful to aquatic species.
We did pest control for over 20 years and it was our product of choice due to its safety c/w alternatives commonly used.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Ok. I’m going to order some of this Chemmax stuff. What should I charge? What should I charge for freezing? This is all new territory for me.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Ok. I’m going to order some of this Chemmax stuff. What should I charge? What should I charge for freezing? This is all new territory for me.
Talk to Paul Lucas or Cameron Mayville at Chemmax, they can give you some good insights in what others may be doing. I charge $1.50 per foot but I think I am considered cheap.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
They have 2 products. One to kill moth larva and another to repel them in the future. Make sure you use the right one. The repellent is another service you can sell. I use masterblends Repel. It makes the wool unappetizing to moth larva apparently, so they move on or starve.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
waste of time and money Damon
Maybe not. I getting $4 per sqft to clean it, plus whatever for the freezing, and treatment we're looking at around $7. The guy paid over $4k for this rug and another one like it that I'll be getting. Once I figure out the costs of sending it to Brian for repairs, he may go for it.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Maybe not. I getting $4 per sqft to clean it, plus whatever for the freezing, and treatment we're looking at around $7. The guy paid over $4k for this rug and another one like it that I'll be getting. Once I figure out the costs of sending it to Brian for repairs, he may go for it.
Yeah, BUT, it’s taking away all your free time

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Suspend SC Delamethrin product kills wool eating bugs and larva and is mild enough to not require PPE. Just wash your hands before Baconating.

We kill bugs before allowing the rug into our shop, then wash, then apply Masterblend's Repel to keep the rug safe from future attack.

Although that rug is worth sectioning, it probably isn't worth reweaving... although we never tell a customer that pays in advance what to do.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Suspend SC Delamethrin product kills wool eating bugs and larva and is mild enough to not require PPE. Just wash your hands before Baconating.

We kill bugs before allowing the rug into our shop, then wash, then apply Masterblend's Repel to keep the rug safe from future attack.

Although that rug is worth sectioning, it probably isn't worth reweaving... although we never tell a customer that pays in advance what to do.
Thanks! I ordered some. How do you apply? Hudson sprayer?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We see enough live moths and larva that we have an electric sprayer designated for the job, but any sprayer will work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom