rug backing

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
We have some somewhat cheap rugs in our home and I'm seeing more of them where the backing is falling off. I cleaned a customers furry acrylic awhile back that also had this backing falling off. I visited a Rug Rack store at the mall recently and the only wool rugs they had had this same backing. What is the proper repair for these? Do we glue them back on and what kind of adhesive do we use? Thanks for any help.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Sometimes the backing is cosmetic, sometimes the maker just uses it so still sticky adhesive doesn't get on the face of other rugs in a stack, sometimes it contributes to the stability of the rug.

Pretty simple to cut the stitches around the edges, brush off all the crumbly dust and chunks of old adhesive, apply a coating of latex adhesive and put the backing back in place. Sew or glue the edges where you cut them loose. N-C has a good quality latex at a decent price if you can't find some you like locally: http://www.n-ccarpet.com/nc-glue.html

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
These backings are not sewn on at all. Just some very weak glue that doesn't hold at all. Most of them are just around the edges about 2 inches wide. can they just be taken off?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If the fabric is already loose it doesn't contribute any stiffness to the rug. You can probably just take it off.

Ron K

How about a picture. If the 2" border is like some we see, it is part of the "primary" backing that is just folded over and it's probably not a good idea to cut that. Does it look like a picture frame from the back, Mitered corners?

Reactions: Zee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom