Pulled a muscle in my back last Sunday... STILL not right

LeeCory

While putting my snowblower in and out of my van last Sunday afternoon I pulled a muscle in my lower back. At first it didn't bother me too much and I'm used to it from time to time. Sometimes it happens when I'm cleaning at the bottom of a set of steps....

Usually I notice improvement within a day or so and all is well.

This time I have been down now for a whole week. I am fed up and want this to be done.

I feel a sharp jab in my lower back when I move the wrong way...

I wonder if I did something other than just a pulled muscle. I am thinking of going to my Chiropractor tomorrow if I can get in, but I am worried because he is not one of those wimpy Chiro's... when this guy takes a hold of me I think he may kill me... LOL

This pain has to stop... is my Chiro the way to go?

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
when it comes to the daily grind of strains and muscle pulls a chiropractor or deep tissue massage has done more for me then any medical doctor ever had

just getting some mild streatching can do you a lot of good but it also sounds like you have some improper working techniques

all is not well, you should learn to wand with the opposite hand(this is the best reason to have a glide on your wand) to keep your muscle group balanced

take a senseable approach to it, medical dr will just give you medicene and tell you to rest, heat or ice it

sound like you pinched the sacroilliiac, I doubt that you pulled a back muscle but probably strained on though

if you had some type of serious back issue then you would have a pain traveling down your leg

sitting around doing nothing is about the worst thing you can do for a back strain

I am not a medical doctor but I did stay at a holiday inn last night :shock:

Name
I'm Rick James
I did the same thing 2 weeks ago. I was reaching into my van to grab a steam line and that is when it happen. It hurt bad for a week and a half but its getting better now. I think I just pinched a nerve, it did run down my legs. I man up and finished the job..

Hope you get better soon.

LeeCory

Thanks guys, I am going to go downstairs now and ask my 12 year old daughter if she would help me put my socks and shoes on so I can leave for a bit.

She needs to get used to it anyway for when I'm an old man. I am practicing.

Brian L

Name
Brian L
I would start now with Ibuprofen, taking 800 mg three times a day as an anti-inflammatory, and plan on seeing a doctor (or at least a consultation with Steve Frasier) as soon as possible.

TimP

All I can say is suck it up. :lol:

Seriously I have the same problem. I think it's probably fairly common for us guys who do physical work. We tend to not stretch and think we don't need help to do certain things.....and usually we don't till our back gets hurt.

Anyways about once a year I have been having to go to the chiropractor for a hurt back. Usually it's so bad that I physically have to use my arms alone to get out of bed and move around. Once I'm standing upright I'm ok, but anything that requires my lower back I can't do while it's hurt. In all seriousness I have been doing better this year but I think it has to do with the new bed we purchased. It's a latex mattress from sleepez.com. This is the time of year my back goes out and so far this year I've just had pain but can loosen it up with a bit of movement. I'd check into a better mattress if I were you if it happened frequently. If not I'd go see a chiropractor, they can usually get you loosened up. If it's a true pull then only time will tell. With me it's a joint problem in my lower left back, it tends to lock up and cause a lot of pain.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I did that when the lawn mower wouldn't start.

I lifted it above my head and threw it down.

I wanted a new one anyway.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I visit at times muscular massage therapist, physio and also a chiro.

However, in this case, a week later, I'd be going to a physio.

I'd have gone straight to the muscular therapist initially and see if that works, then to the physio later if it didn't ease it.

John

Fred Homan

A physical massage therapist did wonders for me. I dislocated my shoulder 4 months ago. Could not do much for at least a month. Doing much better now. Stretching exercises help alot!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
you did the right thing coming here.
I always check with carpet cleaners when I have bone/muscle issues

I check with the plumbers when I have gynecological issues

sorry, Lee, couldn't resist

Here's what I've determined from my own bio rhythms..

if pain originates dead center in the spine, it's bone/disk/spine related.
if pain originates slightly to left or right of spine, it's pulled/tweeked/cramped muscle and deep tissue massage is the ticket

Pain can/will radiate to larger areas, but generally the "epicenter" can be isolated

..L.T.A.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
30 min in the hot tub and a few tequila sunrises and I am good for another 7 days...........

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Chiro YES.What kind of shape are you in? Have a belly? Carry your wallet in a back pocket? You need to work on your core strength to avoid this in the future. Reebok has a core system that my former physiotherapist designed. Google Alex McKechnie and Reebok core training. I was supposed to go on full disability from a messed up back, but this system saved me surgery and a ton of grief. Here's a little bio and a pic of the crazed Scotsman working with Shaq:

reebok_about_core_rightpic1.gif

Alex McKechnie

Alex is a physiotherapist specializing in Orthopedics and sports medicine for amateur and professional athletes.He began working as a physiotherapist with pro athletes in Vancouver in 1974 after he immigrated to Canada from Glasgow, Scotland.Alex has served as a physiotherapist with several professional players, teams, and organizations.He is currently the physiotherapist to the Vancouver Whitecaps Soccer Club of the American Professional Soccer League, the physiotherapist with the Canadian National Soccer team, and the physiotherapist for the Canadian Olympic Soccer team.Alex has instructed at Simon Fraser University in Kinesiology as well as lectured at several Sports Medicine conferences around North America.He has also worked as a consultant for the Vancouver Canucks Hockey Club of the NHL, the NHL Players Association, and the Los Angeles Lakers and New Orleans Hornets basketball teams of the NBA. In 1998 Alex joined Reebok University as a Master Trainer where Rebook developed his invention of the revolutionary core board.Alex currently represents Reebok on the ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) Health and Fitness Advisory Board.

Alex is presently a spokesman for the Arthritis Society, advocating exercise in the treatment and prevention of arthritis.

LeeCory

Couldn't take it any more so I went to the Chiro this morning.

He checked me out, put a cold compress on my back and hooked me up to the electical stimulus thing to relax my back. He worked me over trying to adjust things but nothing happened because I am too tight. I have another appointment Wednesday morning for another go around.

Even though he wasn't able to really get much to move, I do feel a little better. I am able to move around a little better this afternoon, so it was worthwhile. I look forward to Wednesdays appt.

I feel bad for guys that have bad backs all the time...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom