Pros and Cons About Hydroxyl Generators...

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Do you use them....are they effective.....are they the same as ozone.....do they really work????

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ozone can do most of the same things for a fraction of the cost.

It's biggest selling point to me is that you are supposed to be able to run it in an occupied space. Something you cannot do with Ozone, problem is their is still a small amount of an Ozone like odor being emitted.

We played with one here in the shop for a couple of weeks, trying to remove smoke odor from some wood furniture that Ozone was having trouble removing. So far I'm not that impressed with them.

Too slow, it takes days to do what Ozone can do in hours, too expensive, several thousand vs several hundred.

Also because it's slower it will be on site longer and while the extra rental sounds good, and adjuster isn't going to be too thrilled with the increased price of deodorizing.
:|

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
I actually just used two of them for a pretty bad "dog" smelling townhouse. I took care of most of the urine smell by cleaning but the dog smell was still around. 1300 sq ft 2 story for 2.5 days with 2 of them - 1 down and 1 up. Wow - there was a big difference. This was my first experience with them, so .....

Richard, are these becoming the industry standard because of the "safety" issue or does price still trump in most circumstances?

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Mine is going out on a job again tomorrow and also again scheduled for Friday. So far I have been having good luck with it. I like it since it can be used in occupied spaces. It worked really well for us on a sythetic fire 2 weeks ago. Did it's job for us very well. I am the only company within a 300 mile radius that has one. It is becoming the talk of my area adjusters. I am with Richard though, still waiting to find that one job it won't pull off though.

Mark Saiger

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against them, I just I think you can get the same punch for much cheaper.

I was actually hoping for no odor so we could use them in businesses while occupied or in residences when the people really can't be out of the house long enough to allow us to use Ozone effectively.

Only time will tell if they are just a fad or become the new standard.

For now I'm still skeptical of their value but maybe we were just asking too much out of them when we tested?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I had a Nationwide Contractor come to my house for an estimate on hail damage on my roof. I think it was Global Builders. They have offices all up and down the East coast, following storm damage. He claims he uses one (Hydroxyl Generators) for WD and fire jobs. Says he does alot of WD jobs, but doesn't know what a TES system is?? I guided him to a site that explains TES drying.

I just thought the Hydroxyl Generators would add an extra sales point for some of the musty smelling older basements around here. Also for the animal smell in houses that cleaning just won't completely eliminate. Something that we could run while the customer still occupies the house.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Out of Odorx's Disaster Restoration Training Manual for the Boss XL-3

Light odors 3500 sq/ft 1-2 days
Medium odors 2000 sq/ft 2-3 days
Heavy odors 1200 sq/ft 3-4 days
Severe odors 800 sq/ft 3-4 days or more

At $200.00 a day rental it's not generating anymore rental than that of an average Ozone unit. Yet you're still paying 5-6 times more for Odorox than the average Ozone unit.

The slower processing could easily double the cost of a deodorizing job.

Alright if you have the time and the adjuster agrees to the price, but generally in restoration you're looking at speed and how fast can you return the house to normal.

Also will an adjuster be willing to pay the additional charges without balking at the price?

As I've already stated I'm not anti Odorox, but these are questions that I'm uncomfortable with.

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
I have used it twice; a protein fire and an electrical one. It did not worked as advertised.
But you can charge for the unit and add the rental for an air mover in xactimate.
I think that a living air machine would work better and you can still be in the premises
while working.
Luis

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Doc Holliday said:
Out of Odorx's Disaster Restoration Training Manual for the Boss XL-3

Light odors 3500 sq/ft 1-2 days
Medium odors 2000 sq/ft 2-3 days
Heavy odors 1200 sq/ft 3-4 days
Severe odors 800 sq/ft 3-4 days or more

At $200.00 a day rental it's not generating anymore rental than that of an average Ozone unit. Yet you're still paying 5-6 times more for Odorox than the average Ozone unit.

The slower processing could easily double the cost of a deodorizing job.

Alright if you have the time and the adjuster agrees to the price, but generally in restoration you're looking at speed and how fast can you return the house to normal.

Also will an adjuster be willing to pay the additional charges without balking at the price?

As I've already stated I'm not anti Odorox, but these are questions that I'm uncomfortable with.

But....does an adjuster want to pay for lodging for a family while their house is ozoned?? 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You have a point, but generally its going to be one night, if the odor is worse than that, repairs are going to keep them out longer than deoderizing will.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Bump on this, is ozone still the preferred for quick turn around deodorisation?

Or is the purchase price of a hydroxyl unit able to be offset now with chargeout rates now adjusters are seeing them more often?

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
cool thanx, do you know if adjusters are recognising them on dry downs alongside a hepa scrubber?

ie can you use both at same time and still get paid?

The scrubber to remove physical particulate and hydroxyl to address biologicals and odors?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom