Pricing/ Bids

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Hey guys!

A couple of questions. Is there a price chart available that can give me a general ballpark of how much services should cost in a commercial setting? Residential?
I'm also looking for information that may be available on the bidding process, and contract templates.

Thank you,

AI FredC

AI Bot
Name
AI
Hello there!

Certainly, the cost of services in a commercial and residential setting can vary tremendously depending on the specific industry, location, and scope of the work. You might find some general pricing guides or calculators online, but the accuracy will depend on these variables. Here are some general things you can consider:

1. **Commercial Services:** Usually higher than residential as they often involve large-scale projects, specialized equipment, unique needs, and sometimes the requirement of licenses or permits. For example, commercial cleaning, real estate, or construction services might range from a few hundred to several thousand dollars per job.

2. **Residential Services:** Typically smaller in scale, residential services may cost less than commercial services. Again, prices can vary greatly due to the diversity of residential service offerings.

For your information, you might want to do some market research or reach out to competing businesses in your area to get a sense of how they price their services.

In terms of bidding, here's a simplified process:

1. **Determine Your Bid:** Start by calculating the cost of labor, materials, overhead, and any subcontracting fees. Then, mark up this cost for profit.

2. **Prepare Your Bid Proposal:** This includes a detailed explanation of what the project entails, what materials will be used, a timeline for completion, and the estimated cost.

3. **Submit Your Bid:** Send your bid proposal to the client and wait for approval or negotiation.

4. **Contract Negotiations:** If your bid is accepted, you'll usually enter a contract negotiation stage where terms and conditions can be finalized.

For contract templates, there are numerous resources online - legal websites, cloud-based software, and business resource platforms often offer a wide range of templates for different industries. Just ensure that any contract you issue or sign conforms to your local law.

Please note that it's always beneficial to consult with a legal expert when drafting or signing a contract to ensure that your rights are protected.

I hope this information is helpful and feel free to ask if you have any more questions or need further information!

Reactions: alexcarpets

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Is there a price chart available that can give me a general ballpark of how much services should cost in a commercial setting? Residential?

you've never had your own carpets professionally cleaned to have an idea?

pricing ranges anywhere from $20 bukz a room from the blow 'n go outfits to a buck a ft from dog 'n pony show masters

are you planning to be a room price'r or sq ft price'r?
are you going to vac every job? (most don't vac at all)
will mechanical agitation be part of most jobs?
gonna push scotchguard heavy?

tell us what procedures you plan to do in the home.

It's really an "hourly" thing
You'll learn how many sq ft an hour you can average for different scenario jobs (occupied res, empty rentals, wide open com, com with a million cubicles, etc)

You pricing will reflect what you need to make to break even, plus profit .
Depending on expenses/overhead/etc, that could be anywhere from $75 an hour for a one man show with a porty in a Pinto to $200 an hour for an outfit with a shop and employees

..L.T.A.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
As a recent starter myself, I called some cleaning companies in my area posing as a customer to see what they would charge for the surfaces in my home. Then looked at the report in Cleanfax that Fred posted and tried to balance it all between what national averages are, what established cleaners in my area are charging, and what seemed like a fair pay check to get things rolling without turning away opportunities of getting paid to go to school (getting any work I could).

Once I got out there over the course of several weeks I honed my skills a bit, realized how long various jobs took me, and developed more skills that give me confidence about the higher price I am going to be charging moving forward. Some people may scoff at this, but in my view don't hesitate to undercharge for a handful of jobs in the very beginning just to get some work and figure everything out. But don't hesitate to raise your prices once you become skilled, known, and understand what your market can bear.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Hello there!

Certainly, the cost of services in a commercial and residential setting can vary tremendously depending on the specific industry, location, and scope of the work. You might find some general pricing guides or calculators online, but the accuracy will depend on these variables. Here are some general things you can consider:

1. **Commercial Services:** Usually higher than residential as they often involve large-scale projects, specialized equipment, unique needs, and sometimes the requirement of licenses or permits. For example, commercial cleaning, real estate, or construction services might range from a few hundred to several thousand dollars per job.

2. **Residential Services:** Typically smaller in scale, residential services may cost less than commercial services. Again, prices can vary greatly due to the diversity of residential service offerings.

For your information, you might want to do some market research or reach out to competing businesses in your area to get a sense of how they price their services.

In terms of bidding, here's a simplified process:

1. **Determine Your Bid:** Start by calculating the cost of labor, materials, overhead, and any subcontracting fees. Then, mark up this cost for profit.

2. **Prepare Your Bid Proposal:** This includes a detailed explanation of what the project entails, what materials will be used, a timeline for completion, and the estimated cost.

3. **Submit Your Bid:** Send your bid proposal to the client and wait for approval or negotiation.

4. **Contract Negotiations:** If your bid is accepted, you'll usually enter a contract negotiation stage where terms and conditions can be finalized.

For contract templates, there are numerous resources online - legal websites, cloud-based software, and business resource platforms often offer a wide range of templates for different industries. Just ensure that any contract you issue or sign conforms to your local law.

Please note that it's always beneficial to consult with a legal expert when drafting or signing a contract to ensure that your rights are protected.

I hope this information is helpful and feel free to ask if you have any more questions or need further information!
Señor Bot, when comparing professional carpet and multi-surface cleaning between residential and commercial environments, smaller residential settings take a higher percentage of time in setup and breakdown, often involve more travel time, are usually less frequent then commercial jobs, and typically cost more than commercial work (at least by the square footage).

AI FredC

AI Bot
Name
AI
Señor Bot, when comparing professional carpet and multi-surface cleaning between residential and commercial environments, smaller residential settings take a higher percentage of time in setup and breakdown, often involve more travel time, are usually less frequent then commercial jobs, and typically cost more than commercial work (at least by the square footage).
Hola!

You're absolutely correct in your comparison between professional carpet and multi-surface cleaning for residential versus commercial environments.

In the case of **residential services**, the setup and breakdown for each job are proportionally greater because the jobs tend to be smaller. This also implies that residential services involve more establishments per day, resulting in increased travel time between customers. Additionally, residential services are usually scheduled on a less frequent basis than commercial jobs. For example, a homeowner may schedule carpet cleaning every six months to a year, whereas a business may have their carpets cleaned monthly or even weekly, depending on the type and amount of traffic.

On the other hand, **commercial cleaning jobs** often involve large spaces like office buildings or retail stores. Once the equipment is set up, cleaners can work for longer periods in one place, making the setup and breakdown times a smaller proportion of the total operation. Commercial jobs also tend to be recurring, allowing cleaners to establish regular routes and minimize travel time.

As a result, residential carpet cleaning services typically charge more per square foot than commercial cleaning services to offset the additional time and resources spent on traveling, setup, and breakdown. It's also worth noting that commercial jobs usually have larger square footage, so the overall invoice can still be substantial, even with lower per-square-foot charges.

Keep in mind these are general tendencies and the specifics can vary based on various factors including location, competition, and the specific conditions of each job. It's always important to calculate your costs accurately and set prices that reflect the value of your services and the reality of your market.

Hope this provides a clearer picture! If you have further questions, do not hesitate to ask!

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
you've never had your own carpets professionally cleaned to have an idea?

pricing ranges anywhere from $20 bukz a room from the blow 'n go outfits to a buck a ft from dog 'n pony show masters

are you planning to be a room price'r or sq ft price'r?
are you going to vac every job? (most don't vac at all)
will mechanical agitation be part of most jobs?
gonna push scotchguard heavy?

tell us what procedures you plan to do in the home.

It's really an "hourly" thing
You'll learn how many sq ft an hour you can average for different scenario jobs (occupied res, empty rentals, wide open com, com with a million cubicles, etc)

You pricing will reflect what you need to make to break even, plus profit .
Depending on expenses/overhead/etc, that could be anywhere from $75 an hour for a one man show with a porty in a Pinto to $200 an hour for an outfit with a shop and employees

..L.T.A.
All great points, and great questions! I've had cleaning done a few times, and the prices can vary, as you've mentioned. I'll try to answer as much as I can, below:

are you planning to be a room price'r or sq ft price'r? Per room pricing. Per square foot can be tricky because customers want to know a number over the phone, and most will not know the square footage of their rooms. What would be a good square foot number as a "maximum size" to qualify for a room. I don't want to charge the same for a 100 sq ft. room as I would for a 500 sq. ft room. for obvious reasons.
are you going to vac every job? (most don't vac at all) Honestly... probably not.
will mechanical agitation be part of most jobs? Yes
gonna push scotchguard heavy? Yes

Similarly, what is the "industry standard" (if there is one) for furniture. Do cleaners generally move furniture? If yes, is there an extra charge?

Thanks!

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
As a recent starter myself, I called some cleaning companies in my area posing as a customer to see what they would charge for the surfaces in my home. Then looked at the report in Cleanfax that Fred posted and tried to balance it all between what national averages are, what established cleaners in my area are charging, and what seemed like a fair pay check to get things rolling without turning away opportunities of getting paid to go to school (getting any work I could).

Once I got out there over the course of several weeks I honed my skills a bit, realized how long various jobs took me, and developed more skills that give me confidence about the higher price I am going to be charging moving forward. Some people may scoff at this, but in my view don't hesitate to undercharge for a handful of jobs in the very beginning just to get some work and figure everything out. But don't hesitate to raise your prices once you become skilled, known, and understand what your market can bear.
I absolutely love your response! Great mindset, and excellent idea to call around and price shop. Excited for you to have started, and I wish you continued success!

• Love
Reactions: Bryce C

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
You should do both per AREA pricing, not room. And always charge by the square foot for large commercial jobs.

The reason to charge by the area and not by the room:
When the customer calls and says, "I have 4 rooms at my home. How much is that gonna cost me?"

If you say, I charge $50/room so it'll be $200. And the customer is extactic because all your competitors are more expensive. You get the job and when you arrive, it's two huge living rooms and 2 little bedrooms. You should screwed yourself

But if you charge but the area and ask the customer: "What type of rooms do you have?" And they tell you it's 2 living and 2 bedrooms, then you can say, "it sounds like you might have 6 areas of carpet, which would give me an estimate over the phone of $300 to put in your budget". Explain that living areas can add up to 2-3 areas and that you charge $50/area which is the average size of 1 bedroom. They always understand and they never balk at the price.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
are you planning to be a room price'r or sq ft price'r? Per room pricing. Per square foot can be tricky because customers want to know a number over the phone, and most will not know the square footage of their rooms. What would be a good square foot number as a "maximum size" to qualify for a room. I don't want to charge the same for a 100 sq ft. room as I would for a 500 sq. ft room. for obvious reasons.
Either method seems to work fine for folks. But I will say a few things about square footage pricing. It isn't that tricky, all you do is look up average/standard bedroom and living room sizes by the square foot online and let customers know "an average sized bedroom costs between $60 to $70" as an example.

Then you you can use this pricing method as a means of marketing. I tell potential clients that "with cleaners that charge by average room sizes it almost always work it out in their favor, if you decide to work with us we will take measurements upon arrival to ensure that you get a fair and accurate price." And I leave them with a tentative estimate of something like $240 to $300...

People seem to appreciate that. And I never worry if I screwed myself by quoting for an "average" room size that turns out to be wildly different upon arrival. Or use odd sounding pricing systems that call a living room "3 spaces" or something like that. It removes anxiety for me and them. And it only takes me 2 minutes to measure a space once I arrive. But either method works fine.

Thanks for the best wishes man. I too wish you joy and success on the journey!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Per room pricing. Per square foot can be tricky because customers want to know a number over the phone, and most will not know the square footage of their rooms

we did similar to Matt
room pricing for res, Sq ft for com

our room pricing was based on SF average size room for any particular home.
as you noted, most won't know the room sizes, but they generally know the whole house sq ft.
2800sf 4 bed rm 2 story or 1200 sf 3 bed ranch gave me a good indicator of room size when they ask "how much"
a handful of other questions and I was able to give them a "ball park" between $X amount and $X amount, with the note, a firm quote would be given on arrival

as far as max "area" size, I think most are in the 250 to 300sf range?

Similarly, what is the "industry standard" (if there is one) for furniture. Do cleaners generally move furniture? If yes, is there an extra charge?

no "standard" . It's all over the map from none to some to most all

we moved and replaced most stuff in living room as part of the price
we declined to move things like electronics, china cabinets, entertainment systems, etc.
Additional charges only applied if they wanted large bed room furniture moved and replaced
And we declined to move most beds period

I can tell you're a way over thinker, but don't appear to be stoopit...
so don't sweat it, you'll figure out your own way and adjust as needed as you get jobs under your belt

..L.T.A.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We use room pricing up to a maximum size of 250 square feet. It makes it easier for the customer's to figure out the cost before we get there and no surprises when we arrive.

If you say, I charge $50/room so it'll be $200. And the customer is extactic because all your competitors are more expensive. You get the job and when you arrive, it's two huge living rooms and 2 little bedrooms. You should screwed yourself
In this case, if you've based your pricing on average room size, you should be fine. Yes you are cleaning 2 large living room, but you are also cleaning 2 small bedrooms. Sure some jobs you may lose a little, but some jobs you win! In the end it usually balances out.

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
You should do both per AREA pricing, not room. And always charge by the square foot for large commercial jobs.

The reason to charge by the area and not by the room:
When the customer calls and says, "I have 4 rooms at my home. How much is that gonna cost me?"

But if you charge but the area and ask the customer: "What type of rooms do you have?" And they tell you it's 2 living and 2 bedrooms, then you can say, "it sounds like you might have 6 areas of carpet, which would give me an estimate over the phone of $300 to put in your budget". Explain that living areas can add up to 2-3 areas and that you charge $50/area which is the average size of 1 bedroom. They always understand and they never balk at the price.
Ah! I like that idea, and it makes sense as to not screw myself over. What about pricing for items like stairs, upholstery, etc...?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Ah! I like that idea, and it makes sense as to not screw myself over. What about pricing for items like stairs, upholstery, etc...?
the average stairway (12-14steps) is 1 area.

As for upolstery...those prices range in different markets and how much you hate cleaning couches with several oversize cushions.
A couch with microfiber cushions attached can be priced as low as $75/couch and range up to an oversized couch with Giant cushions to $135-$150 or more from the guys out west

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Either method seems to work fine for folks. But I will say a few things about square footage pricing. It isn't that tricky, all you do is look up average/standard bedroom and living room sizes by the square foot online and let customers know "an average sized bedroom costs between $60 to $70" as an example.

Then you you can use this pricing method as a means of marketing. I tell potential clients that "with cleaners that charge by average room sizes it almost always work it out in their favor, if you decide to work with us we will take measurements upon arrival to ensure that you get a fair and accurate price." And I leave them with a tentative estimate of something like $240 to $300...

People seem to appreciate that. And I never worry if I screwed myself by quoting for an "average" room size that turns out to be wildly different upon arrival. Or use odd sounding pricing systems that call a living room "3 spaces" or something like that. It removes anxiety for me and them. And it only takes me 2 minutes to measure a space once I arrive. But either method works fine.

Thanks for the best wishes man. I too wish you joy and success on the journey!
That makes sense, and I'm sure the customers appreciate the honesty - I know I'd feel more confident paying a bit more if it meant the pricing was fair and not just some random number pulled out of thin air.
Are you in Connecticut? I'm in Miami. We're both a startup and I welcome you to reach out via DM and we can exchange contact info. I love to make friends int he industry that can relate to the ups and downs of the trade.
Wishing you continued success my friend! :)

Reactions: Bryce C and Mikey P

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
we did similar to Matt
room pricing for res, Sq ft for com

our room pricing was based on SF average size room for any particular home.
as you noted, most won't know the room sizes, but they generally know the whole house sq ft.
2800sf 4 bed rm 2 story or 1200 sf 3 bed ranch gave me a good indicator of room size when they ask "how much"
a handful of other questions and I was able to give them a "ball park" between $X amount and $X amount, with the note, a firm quote would be given on arrival

as far as max "area" size, I think most are in the 250 to 300sf range?

no "standard" . It's all over the map from none to some to most all

we moved and replaced most stuff in living room as part of the price
we declined to move things like electronics, china cabinets, entertainment systems, etc.
Additional charges only applied if they wanted large bed room furniture moved and replaced
And we declined to move most beds period

I can tell you're a way over thinker, but don't appear to be stoopit...
so don't sweat it, you'll figure out your own way and adjust as needed as you get jobs under your belt

..L.T.A.
Very helpful information! Thank you so much! :)

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
the average stairway (12-14steps) is 1 area.

As for upolstery...those prices range in different markets and how much you hate cleaning couches with several oversize cushions.
A couch with microfiber cushions attached can be priced as low as $75/couch and range up to an oversized couch with Giant cushions to $135-$150 or more from the guys out west
Thank you kindly! :)

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
That makes sense, and I'm sure the customers appreciate the honesty - I know I'd feel more confident paying a bit more if it meant the pricing was fair and not just some random number pulled out of thin air.
Are you in Connecticut? I'm in Miami. We're both a startup and I welcome you to reach out via DM and we can exchange contact info. I love to make friends int he industry that can relate to the ups and downs of the trade.
Wishing you continued success my friend! :)
My pricing system may change over time but as a starter it made sense and gave me peace.

Thank you Alex I'd really enjoy that. I love to make friends in the industry as well, Mikey's Fest was a solid dose of community and I needed it. I am in Connecticut. I'll shoot you a message later so we can exchange info 🌱

Last edited:
Name
Evets
We charge $75 per seat to clean sofas, loveseats & sectionals. $100 for chaise lounges that are attached to sectionals.
Didn't start out charging that much, but that's where we're at now.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I keep room dimensions and figure my averages constantly. Plus, I know which neighborhoods exceed the average. I price by the s.f. accordingly. Commercial is by onsite estimates.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom