Price is fine.....UNTIL...

Mikey P

Administrator
Meg do you consistently earn this hourly rate?

I really would like to know what steps are included in the Burdick Dog and Pony Show.

I don't care how nice your wrap is, how bright and even your lead tech's teeth appear or how dry you leave the carpet... You have to be doing something REALLY different than all the other larry lunchpails in town to commsnd that price.

It's only carpet cleaning after all.
Not the cure for cancer.

Or is it?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't care how nice your wrap is, how bright and even your lead tech's teeth appear or how dry you leave the carpet... You have to be doing something REALLY different than all the other larry lunchpails in town to commsnd that price.
Sounds like a good webinar! Selling the big package...shut up @Nate The Great! :winky:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

I really would like to know what steps are included in the Burdick Dog and Pony Show.

It's only carpet cleaning after all.
Not the cure for cancer.
Or is it?
I'm getting confused here. Is this post from the guy who makes a few thousands each day and similar or higher hourly rate on a regular basis?
Or have I misread your posts in the past?

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Meg can you tell the group what "makes you worth it"?

Honestly, we are no different than many cleaners. What makes us worth it, is that THE CUSTOMER THINKS WE ARE WORTH IT. Perceived value.

It's really that simple.

It does depend on how busy you stay. Not everyone can afford $700 for 5 areas to be cleaned, including hallway. How many houses are you servicing weekly Meg?

Last month, averaged 13-15.

It may sound low, but when you do large jobs, then we can only do 2 or 3 jobs in a day. We aren't typically doing 2 rooms, stairs and a hall, or an apartment like many companies that do that and bang out 5-7 jobs a day. Average house we are in is between 3-5k sq. ft. That is a lot of carpet, tile and grout and hardwood floors. And many times we are doing upholstery too.

Last month we completed 52 jobs. We average 3 jobs a day. Some days it's one big job, other days we are doing 4 smaller jobs. September with Labor Day we worked 21 days, so averaged 2.6 jobs per day. That is a full day for us. Start at 8, back to the shop anywhere between 3-5. Some days later, but mostly I'd say it's an 8:00-4:00.

Our smallest invoice was $159.00 (minimum charge) and are largest residential was $5,213.35. (To give you an idea, this was an estate that had wall to wall wool, we cleaned 20 dining room chairs at the dining room table, so you can imagine how big that dining room was!). That was a one day job, 2 trucks, 3 guys, 1.5 hour each way travel time, but it job itself took maybe 4 hours to do). Not a bad hourly rate if you calculate that out.

Yes, this is fairly consistent. September was a great month for us and our average invoice was about $163 more than normal. Jobs like that big one helped, but you can see we still do small ones. Obviously we are more busy during certain times of the year. September thru December holidays are always big (4th quarter). Spring/early summer to. We average only 5-7 jobs a week in the slow season (Jan-March) and those jobs don't tend to be as big, but will still can earn a decent "hourly rate".

This is where you guys will really shake your heads....because we don't do a ton of extras. Like I said above, there isn't any one thing that makes us worth it. It's really the perceived value. Honestly, I think it's all about the relationship, education and schmoozing...cause we all know, carpet cleaning isn't THAT difficult. Especially in the demographic we service because they rarely let their carpets get trashed (although they do let their animals rule their house and pee everywhere, so there's good money in pet damage cleaning).

We don't even vacuum. GASP! I know , crazy isn't it. Part of what we ask the customer to do before we get there.

I think it starts with the phone inquiry/interview. For a first time customer, I do a very detailed analysis of their needs and ask a lot of questions. Right there, it sets us apart from the other companies they called or the online "price calculator" they used on a website. That sets the tone and level of professionalism. I explain our process, what they can expect. I point out where the phone estimate can vary once we get out there (so there are no surprises or they don't feel like they are getting bait and switched), I manage their expectations on what we can and can't do when it comes to certain problems (nail polish, urine, certain spots and stains).

We show up when we say we will. They guys are cheerful and go over in great detail what we will be doing. The phone quote often meets the actual price when they get there and if it doesn't, they already had a heads up why it may be different. Under promise and over deliver.

We do all the usual....booties, floor coverings, corner guards, seal a door....nothing that any of you don't have access to.

When I look back at all our feedback cards, the consistent thing that comes up is the great customer service and how knowledgeable the staff is. Often they say that got an education and learned things they never knew. While the actually cleaning part is quick, the wooing the customer part is not. You've heard it before, people buy from people they like. Get them to like and trust you and they eagerly take you up on the suggestion to clean additional things. And, we do a good job. We get carpets clean. We get trouble spots out. We remove pet odors. We are thee when we say we will be. All simple concepts, but you'd be amazed how many service companies don't do these things. So people go ape shit when they find someone who does. I don't get it, cause to me it's just good business practice, respectful and the right way to run a business. And people are willing to pay for that cause they would rather pay more then deal with all the BS from a less expensive company that doesn'tfollwo these basic principals.

Keep in mind, clients that have more expensive floor coverings, furnishings etc. expect that it costs more to maintain them and are willing to do so. The owner of a BMW or Maserati doesn't expect to pay $50.00 for an oil change like someone might for their Honda or Toyota. Is it really that different or complicated to change the BMW or Maserati oil than the Honda or Toyota. No, not really. But again, back to perceived value.

For those of you that think we are "ripping people off" because you know we aren't doing anything "special or different" and you couldn't sleep at night if you charge those rates for what you do, then you are entitled to that opinion. But why wouldn't you if you could get that price and you had raving customers, that refer you to others and become repeat customers when you charge those rates? It's that the basis of living the American dream. Are we not all in business to make money? If someone is willing and gladly will pay you that amount, then why should I lower my price because it gives me a profit margin greater than most in the industry can get? If I charged that amount, did a crappy job and had unhappy customers, then it would be unethical. And we'd quickly be out of business.

As I said, I didn't grow up this way. We changed our own oil, grew our own food, sewed our own clothes. It did take some time to adjust to the fact that people are willing to pay fro things that we never even would have considered growing up. But, if they are, why not capitalize on that and give them what they want at a price they are willing to pay? I'm very comfortable with it now.

Mike, if you want to see our Dog and Pony show....fly out and spend a few days with us. I'm sure we could learn a lot from each other.

Sounds like a good webinar! Selling the big package...shut up

I'm game!

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Let them complain about price but NEVER about quality of/or service. Although, charging those numbers, $15 for 50 cents worth of spotter is a little short sighted IMHO. Leaving a bottle for"free" and offering a free refill not only gives them the warm and fuzzies, it can get you extra work when you do the "free" refill.I'm sure the bottom line can allow for that.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mrice

Name
Mat
There are some people who wash their own car, some who drive through the gas station car wash, some go to a freestanding car-wash, and some have someone come to their home or place of business and wash their car where it sits. Cost variance is huge, $next to nothing (do it yourself) to $75 and up (come to you)...at the end of the day it's just washing the car... Meg just services the latter class of clientele. Good job Meg, not everyone can do it, but you can!

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
That spotter costs us over $7.00 a bottle, not .50 but I see the point and value in a free spotter program. It is something I learned at SFS that we don't implement. Just haven't seen the need too.

According to SM report I ran, we sold $5,075.00 worth of Unbelievable spot cleaner in 2014. We are at $3805.00 YTD. Not sure I want to give up that revenue as it's a nice chunk. We usually leave it if it is a significant job, sometimes when we do an estimate, if something held us up and we are late for appointment, or if someone is on the fence about doing some of the work and are looking for some help to seal the deal.

Reactions: Desk Jockey and EDS

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Meg,

Over the last 40 years I have heard the " you guys are expensive" thing more than a few times. Some customers tried another company, only to discover they did not receive the same value and then used us again. Set your price at what you need and let everyone else have the rest.

Donwand

Supportive Member
Name
Brian
I thought your $700 price tag was justified since you traveled all the way out to Greenville (on the invoice) from your area of Sellersville. That's about 700 miles away.

steve_64

i had a doctor make the remark:
Christ you make more than I do an hour....
and i went to school for eight years.......

i chuckled as i walked out the door!
Mine was a lawyer. He was pissed but his wife still calls me a couple times a year.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
You have to be in the right place to get that kind of money. We have so many cleaners here for a town of 200k. Every year a cleaner walks from one of the largest coit operations and sets up shop with his customer list. I call it new litter every year. A very small percentage of people care about service and quality anymore. The new generation is price driven. The sears/craftsman faithful generation is slowly going away.

davey1

Meg,I applaud and envy you.You deliver a quality product,with quality people.You use professional equiptment,and effective cleaning solutions.You send professionally trained and educated technicians in there field.You and your husband travel and spend countless hours attending industry events.All those investments equate to many benefits to your client.

Here is a harsh contrast that one of my previous clients,who used "2 long haired sloppy 16 yr old kids in an ugly yellow truck(these are all her words not mine).My bill was suppose to be $99.They charged me $30 more cause 2 of my rooms were bigger.They charged me 25 more for special red spot.They were suppose to be here at 11:00.They were 35 min late no call.I was on the phone with my sister for about 20 minutes while they were here.When I hung up they were already wrapping up their equipt.The only spotter I saw them use was a spray bottle that looked like windex.Red spot still there,carpets soaked .They scratched my entrance floor and the paint on my door casing.It was exactly 12:00 when they were pulling out of my culde sac.They couldnt have spent more than 20 min actually cleaning if you want to callit that."She apologized for not calling us back because she thought our 215.00 last year was a little high.

She repeated this story 3 times when having us come back out and redo their job because they would not return her call.So lets see 99+30+25=155 for 20 min=465 per hr 215.00 for our redo."Meg why are you working so cheap"?Its all a matter of perspective,isn't it?

Keep up the good work.Companys like yours could save our profession!

Reactions: Russ T. and Mikey P

Connor

Name
Connor
$350 per hour..... isn't too shabby, I think our best "average" was close to $800 per hour for carpet cleaning. Actually it may be more.

Keep in mind we get $2.00 sq. ft (residential) for tile and grout. 1000 sq. ft job (kitchen, foyer, mud/laundry room and powder room) easily done in 2 hours with one guy..so $2000, plus $1.25 per sq. ft for sealer adds on another $1250 total for $3250. Even if that took 4 hours to do with sealing, that's $812.50 per hour. So it's easy for us to get that much per hour for T&G.

Running a two man crew, we could do 2-3 jobs like that a day...we COULD, doesn't mean that IS what we do every day.

Sheesh, I'm a plumber and I don't charge that much (very often).

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Central Steamer Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
I know the area Meg is working. It's not a playpen for the average wannabe carpet cleaner. It's serious money in this county. Your either the real deal or your out. It's all about being Trustworthy, Loyal, and having 100% Integrity. They pay but you better be the real deal or else. Meg knows her market, how to service them, and all is fine.

Its a game of serving those who can afford to be served. This coming weekend I am honored to be an invited guest with my wife in the Presidential Suit (at Beaver Stadium Penn State University) during the game with President Barron, his Wife and his Staff. These people have control, money and will gladly pay those who can maintain their security yet get the job done.

I applaud Meg because she and her Team knows the target market better than anyone in the area and that is why she can hold her chin up and be confident. Great job Burdicks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Sheesh, I'm a plumber and I don't charge that much (very often).

Everyone seems to "forget" that
I know the area Meg is working. It's not a playpen for the average wannabe carpet cleaner. It's serious money in this county. Your either the real deal or your out. It's all about being Trustworthy, Loyal, and having 100% Integrity. They pay but you better be the real deal or else. Meg knows her market, how to service them, and all is fine.

Its a game of serving those who can afford to be served. This coming weekend I am honored to be an invited guest with my wife in the Presidential Suit (at Beaver Stadium Penn State University) during the game with President Barron, his Wife and his Staff. These people have control, money and will gladly pay those who can maintain their security yet get the job done.

I applaud Meg because she and her Team knows the target market better than anyone in the area and that is why she can hold her chin up and be confident. Great job Burdicks!

Wow. Thank you Bryan.

Finally....someone that understands!

It is a great place to be, but you are right, you won't last long if you don't keep that trust.

Good luck with Barron. Would love to hear the details. It really is amazing what happens when that ONE door opens up a whole other world for your business.

And you never know when that door will open and who's been watching in the wings.

Reactions: Bryan S. Bennett
Name
Todd
The price is fine if that is what they agreed to. It will be interesting to see if they hire you again next time. I think that is a lot of work performed in only 2 hours. The carpet most have been like brand new. Did you guys vacuum it first ? Apply SG properly would take 20-30 minutes. Vacuum 20-30 minutes

I would do that amount of work for $200-250 and it would take 3 hrs but I don't nickel and dime my customers. Im just a BDCC in the middle of Idaho so take that for what it is worth.

Edit: Oh I see it was 2 techs, 4 man hrs that is $175 per man hour. That is more inline with the Mikeysboard average. It sounds like you guys have a very lucrative business system that people are willing to pay for and send you some nice referrals. I am sure they wouldn't even let me in that gated community with my 04 Astro Van ha?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom